• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
None planned for tomorrow so that's it for the 707s on SWT, we'll see what First want to do with them but I imagine they'll wait until after the blockade and perhaps then run a pair of units on a Weybridge/Hunslow diagram. That is purely my speculation though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OK, looks like I missed it for good.
I have seen many 707s at Clapham so I might have seen the train that was in service today

spark001uk

Established Member
OK, looks like I missed it for good.
I have seen many 707s at Clapham so I might have seen the train that was in service today

There's still time to get on one, they are doing a couple more passenger runs between Staines and Reading today. But then that's it until at least some time next month.

spark001uk

Established Member
I had on good authority from an orange vest (not the driver or guard, but he was smartly dressed so looked important) but anyway that doesn't matter. He said that first group are probably only going to change the logos on the outside for now, it's going to be their policy to repaint only as they internally refurbish apparently.
He seemed to think they may end up keeping these (and fit toilets into them), rather than ditch them.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
He seemed to think they may end up keeping these (and fit toilets into them), rather than ditch them.

Doesn't really fit with the "90 new trains" some of them replacing the 707s though, does it? Be very surprised if they've gone back on that, they have also emphasised the benefits of a standardised suburban fleet...

spark001uk

Established Member
Doesn't really fit with the "90 new trains" some of them replacing the 707s though, does it? Be very surprised if they've gone back on that, they have also emphasised the benefits of a standardised suburban fleet...

There's all sorts of scenarios floating around, but I think if it's the lease price they aren't keen on, and they hand them back and Angel can't offload them somewhere else, I wouldn't be surprised if they came back with a better price.

spark001uk

Established Member
Oh and someone asked if the wifi is working. I checked when I was on board and, yes it is! Albeit with a dodgy security certificate. ;)

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Why is it that so many operators have terrible announcement systems that sounds like 3 or four clips are merged together whereas others can make it sound like everything fits together nicely and doesn't sound so disjointed.

For example the Julie Berry stuff on Greater Anglia and even the original First Great Eastern announcements sounded live and not like a bunch of clips stuck together, but so many other trains sound so awful with their pauses and massive tone differences.

GW43125

Established Member
It's a weird text-to-speech woman. She sounds terrible! Someone asked a while back if the loading screens would have both units or just the one. The answer is they only show the unit in which you're travelling.

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
THere appears to be a minor issue with door key switches sticking in the on position...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Erm, no idea, sounds new to me. You tell me! Just chopped this out of one of my vids. The voice does seem to alter a bit, that was me moving inside. ;)

[youtube]J4Yv0EUXGNo[/youtube]

I'll be on the 1522 so I'll have a look. Sounds a lot like Rachel to me.

Class 466

Established Member
It's a weird text-to-speech woman. She sounds terrible! Someone asked a while back if the loading screens would have both units or just the one. The answer is they only show the unit in which you're travelling.

It's Acapela Rachel!

spark001uk

Established Member
The only names I know are Phil Sayer (RIP), Celia Drummond (can't stand her), Roger (speak faster!) and AtoS Anne. Not heard of her before.

I know Faye Dicker (the voice on gwr turbos that sounds like she's talking through a pillow), julie Berry (southern?), and of course Phil and his wife. Oh and BBC's Nick Owen on Tramlink!

Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
Passengers actually took advantage of the extra service at Longcross! :lol: usually there is a several hour gap between roughly lunchtime and the evening peak.

The 707s are excellent units and I can't wait for them to be in service on Hounslow services. They're a huge improvement on the 458s that run most of the services.

Uzair

Passengers actually took advantage of the extra service at Longcross! :lol: usually there is a several hour gap between roughly lunchtime and the evening peak.

The 707s are excellent units and I can't wait for them to be in service on Hounslow services. They're a huge improvement on the 458s that run most of the services.

Could you elaborate? In what way are they superior? I can't be bothered to travel all the way to Staines!

Status
Not open for further replies.