• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

175 Hunting Oscillation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Ashwell

An odd one considering how loved they seem to be, but has anyone else noticed the hunting oscillation being bad on the 175s?

Was on one yesterday to Chepstow and whilst sat in the front coach was moving quite violently whilst on the sea wall section around Mathern marina. The 170s and 15x don't seem to have this issue on that section of line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I haven’t been aboard a 175 for a good few years now, but going back at least decade or more your post has reminded me of a couple of occasions when travelling on these units on some stretch of the line between Crewe and Shrewsbury. The train began to hunt in quite a severe but perhaps not alarming manner but I do recall one of these times having to keep my hand on the coffee I’d just purchased from the trolley for it was slopping over the top and doing its best to work its way off the table, of course this may have been purely down to the track and not the fault of the units, but that said it’s not the sort of ride quality that I’d ever experienced previously on e.g. a 158.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
175s have always rolled around somewhat, though it's not a "rough" ride as such.
There used to be a stretch of track west of Crewe where they would "snatch" on seemingly straight track, although that has improved over the years.
There are also a couple of bridges between Mickle Trafford and Helsby with a slight dip in between, and they used to roll awkwardly over that section - again, not so noticeable these days.
Either the track, or the suspension, has been improved.
I expect 180s do the same, as it's essentially the same vehicle design.

Status
Not open for further replies.