• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2011 Blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
19th September. The year is coming towards a close from a bashing POV as the nights will soon begin to draw in and the weather turn colder. The only planned Big One between now and the end of the year is Spitfire’s class 50 tour to Edinburgh and the Fife Circle in November, which promises to be very enjoyable.

Still, work continues to deliver on quality mileage at someone else’s cost, and this was the start of 3 days on the rails. A familiar start on the 06:08 ex-Shipley followed by the 06:34 EMT HST ex-Leeds (fourth time this year). 43045/089 in charge again, but this time I’m only riding to Nottingham. I was very tired and slept nearly all the way, but did go to the vestibule for the last couple of miles into Nottingham (reached seven down) and was amazed again by how much clag VP185s emit even when coasting. Considerably more than MTUs on full load I would say. Had a superb breakfast at The Granby Kitchen across the road from the station for £4.95 for two of everything plus beans, tomatoes, toast and tea. Excellent! Back to the station to join 222009 on the 09:02 to St Pancras. This is actually a very nice train, and hard to believe it’s a close relative of the disgusting and reviled Vomiters. Its interior also seems nicer than how I remember the Meridian interior from my last (and first) go back in February. The second class seats are spacious, comfortable, line up with the windows and are for the most part grouped around tables with only a few ‘airline style’ (and even these line up with the windows). No rank smells noticeable from the toilets either. The 5-car set wasn’t that full and I was able to spread out and relax. A smile was raised again passing my favourite ‘Peak Power’ graffiti at Trent Junction, then got on with some work all the way to Luton Airport Parkway (station grice) to be met by a colleague and whisked away for a meeting at our office in Dunstable. Concentration was helped by the apparent almost complete absence of a T Mobile signal anywhere in Leicestershire or Northants (T Mobile utterly useless but there are times like this when it has its up side).

After the meeting there was no lift forthcoming back to Luton Airport Parkway without putting someone out, so rather than take an expensive taxi, I took a lift instead with someone heading towards home in rural Buckinghamshire who dropped me at Leighton Buzzard. Unexpected extra station grice therefore, followed by a nice non-stop run to Euston in a 350 on the 15:53. Then the Northern Line to London Bridge for a short walk to the nearby Premier Inn on the South Bank, right next to the bridge over to Cannon Street for non-stop wheel-screech noise from 376s. Alarmingly I was booked into Room 101, but luckily whatever it is that I fear most (an eternal ride on a 185?) was not in there.

After a few drinks at the pub I got my head down for the night and after breakfast the next morning I strolled over to London Bridge for the 08:18 FCC working to Three Bridges. At the booking office two out of the seven windows were closed, and the queue was 25 people long (by the time I left it was >40 long and stretching back out into the concourse). Huge queues for the ticket machines as well. I was there with 17 minutes to spare so no problem for me personally as it turned out, but here is clearly a case that someone turning up with as much as 10 minutes to spare would be unable to catch his train. I’m sure there are people would criticise any such ‘latecomers’ for not having looked in their crystal ball before leaving for the station. After all, what can they expect if they think that buying a ticket should be straightforward, and Heaven forbid that anyone should criticise a TOC? Those of us who view passengers as the meat and drink of the railway rather than an annoying mass of potential fare-dodgers, liars and cheats will see this as a straightforward undermanning situation at London Bridge however. When I got to the window I asked for a single to Three Bridges and wasn’t offered the £11.50 FCC only ticket without enquiring if such were available as an afterthought, even though I was buying a single and no direct Southern trains were operating at that time. £14.40 is the cost of the open ticket, so that would have been £2.90 extra ching for no benefit whatsoever. Hmmm, what was that I was saying about who the cheats are?

Having seen loads of 319s at Bedford the previous day I was hoping for one of these York-built sets, but a 377 rolled in instead. 319 followed 319 on northbound FCC workings as we headed south. Grrr. Still, the Electrostar was a comfy enough train for the 40 minute journey followed by a short walk to our new facility in Crawley.

On the way back I was at the station in time for the 9 minutes late running 16:26 to Bedford. The next working was at 16:37 so this gave me two bites at the 319 cherry should the 16:26 turn out to be another 377. No matter though as an 8-car 319 rolled in on the 16:26, and treated us to a real thrash to East Croydon. From there it was one of the workings that goes via Tulse Hill and Loughborough Junction in the peak, so it was an enjoyable if slow ramble around the maze of South London’s railway lines to arrive at Blackfriars two early! The train was starting to fill up now and by St Pancras I was glad to bail. I walked the long way round the front to the Cross and went to the booking office to buy my ticket for the following day. I had the traditional dirty burger before returning to the concourse to await the 18:33 through train to Bradford.

The concourse was very crowded, even more so than usual, and by 18:25 neither the 18:30 Edinburgh nor 18:33 Bradford had been called. What’s more the 19:03 Leeds was cancelled and the 18:33 showing not calling at Shipley. WTF? If it’s going to Bradford and not calling at Shipley it will be passing through without stopping. This was very bad form I have to say. I only chose this train because it is a through train, and would EC glibly cut out, say, the Grantham stop? Certainly not without a damned convincing explanation. Also, the following 21:26 Leeds > Skipton arrives at Shipley at 21:37, annoyingly not quite qualifying for delay repay. Not that the money’s always the most important thing, although you’d never guess this the way TOCs talk about delay repay as though that made everything alright. It can be the little things that rankle more than the money. The long day at work followed by a farcical journey; the total lack of coherent explanation; the unnecessary transfer and wait for a crowded local train; the not getting home in time to see your kids that night. These are the things that get up people’s noses, and no amount of delay repay can sort that out. The grip announced that the stop at Shipley was being omitted due to ‘earlier lineside equipment failure’, which is just about the most useless explanation imaginable. When will TOCs learn that they must not patronise people in this way? This announcement is just one tiny step up from the appalling catch-all ‘operational difficulties’ excuse. What would be wrong with telling passengers what the actual reason is? A minority will understand it, and the remainder will be no better or worse informed than they were having been given the fatuous jargon-laden excuse ‘earlier lineside equipment failure’, which means nothing to anyone and is clearly quite deliberately designed to obfuscate. Hearing this sort of rubbish just gives people the impression they are being fobbed off, which of course they are.

We eventually left at 18:43 and came to a halt in Gasworks Tunnel. Great. If we stay here for ages we won’t even be able to ring home to tell people we’re going to be late! Only five minutes though (and what was a mere five minutes in East Coast’s sea of delay, cancellations and omitted stops that afternoon?), and we now got underway on a really very fast run indeed, which was great fun. The grip had declassified first class to allow passengers from the canx 19:03 to get a seat, and he then made an announcement apologising to all first class passengers, telling them over the intercom how to claim compensation! Talk about inappropriate! All the standard class passengers given a seat due to his commendable move must suddenly have gone from feeling pleased to feeling very uncomfortable. He might as well have announced that he was sorry for having let a crowd of smelly working class people and lepers in, and would all the poor rich people like a nice wad of lovely cash to take away the pain of the offensive sights and sounds.

Leaving Grantham 13 late, Shipley was omitted from the list of stops again, but this time no explanation was given at all! A few minutes later the grip came up with the explanation that “according to Control” (carefully distancing himself from any duff gen that may follow) a very severe points failure (what other sort is there? Either a set of points has failed or it hasn’t) was blocking access to platform 2 (sic) at Shipley and that our train would not be able to call there. However he reassured us that there are local trains that would call instead and that we ‘should’ (not ‘will’: he chose to leave that uncertainty hanging) be able to use them. Quite how these local trains would get around the Very Severe Points Failure that was so fatal to class 91 operation was unclear, until he told us that ‘local trains’ use ‘local platforms’ at Shipley (all very League of Gentlemen IYAM). So the explanation when finally offered was, in fact, a load of balls. There are no ‘local platforms’ at Shipley, nor does the Kings Cross > Bradford train use platform 2 (the down Skipton platform). What I managed to infer from this tripe is that for some [still unclear] reason we weren’t going to be able to get onto platform three which this train uses wrong line. Also unclear was why the train couldn’t use the short down Bradford platform 4 with only one door being opened, as the up Skipton does at Shipley on the short platform 1 on occasions when mk IVs stand in for the booked HST. Can’t be mk IV clearance issues because the morning ECS goes that way.

In short, a garbled, inaccurate explanation using the talismanic Get Out Of Jail Free phrase ‘points failure’ will have to substitute for clarity, honesty, convenience and service. Such is ‘customer service’ to the modern TOC. It is as if some railway people sincerely believe that as long as there is a mechanical explanation for a farce, then that makes everything OK. Like the kettle veg my father met volunteering at the NRM who got all defensive when put on the spot about kettles setting fire to half the ECML a few weeks ago. His answer, confidently delivered, was that the chaos was down to “just a faulty grate on ‘Sir Lamiel’”!

Anyway, we arrived at Leeds at 21:12, the same time as we should have arrived at Shipley, and loads of people made their weary way over to platform 4 for the 21:26. I was talking to a [normal] acquaintance of mine who had booked from Shipley to London and back on the through workings both ways that day and had been bowled for both, so clearly farces on EC and at Shipley had been the name of the game all day. In the morning he’d ended up stranded at Leeds and sent to York on the 07:10 Aberdeen whence he caught the 08:00 to the Cross. For him therefore the inconvenience of having to change at Leeds on the return journey was Little League compared to where he’d been! At home I cheered up a bit to find about £40 worth of delay repay vouchers in the post from EC’s last debacle :)

The next morning I got up early again and headed to Shipley station for the 05:55 Leeds > Carlisle. This was the first time I’ve used this very useful new working providing business travellers from West Yorkshire with a convenient, reasonably priced and very enjoyable means of getting to Scotland in good time. At £47.60 open return (route Appleby) this seems good value to me, and is certainly cheaper than using the car. At Shipley the 06:13 to Leeds was already running 3 down, which given that Northern had no points failure (Very Severe or otherwise) to fall back on, nor could they blame late arrival of incoming stock, can only have been down to their own ineptitude. This ‘late arrival of incoming stock’ excuse for poor service is another one readily and willingly trotted out by TOCs as a Get Out Of Jail Free card, as though rolling stock simply dropped out of the sky at originating stations to form services. What they never say or even imply is that it is often their own lack of punctuality on earlier services that is the cause of this, as presumably to do so would tarnish this magic excuse in passengers’ eyes somewhat. The Carlisle train was showing on time, but at our departure time of 06:08 the ECS for the up EC off Skipton was passing through the platform. As expected at exactly 06:10 the 06:08 disappeared from the monitor to be replaced by the 06:33 Skipton as the first train. 158849 appeared at 06:12, which isn’t especially bad, but the information being offered was once again 100% inaccurate. Does anyone working at Northern care about the quality of information given to their passengers?

The 158 was surprisingly well loaded with T-shirt clad youths using this first train out of Leeds as a means of getting home after a night out. What I had thought would be a quiet journey was replete with loudly told tales of snogging, shagging, fights with bouncers and other excess. Still, they’d mostly bailed by Keighley, so it was quiet enough from there. I’d not considered this source of revenue for very early trains before, although I’m sure in my day we never stayed out that long, instead riding home in the single mk I SK or BSK attached to the Shrewsbury > York mail off Leeds at 02:25, which brings back bad and uncomfortable memories! Get with the programme Daddio: da yoof is different these days and thinks nothing of staying out all night on a Tuesday!

By Hellifield it was getting properly light and I settled in to enjoy the ride. This is what it’s all about, a train journey across the roof of England in relaxed surroundings. I was extremely tired though and dozed for too much of the journey, although I did wake up briefly as we came to a stand south of Ribblehead to let the southbound 05:56 Carlisle > Leeds off the viaduct, and saw a Colas Rail 66 in the timber loading siding. I was awake from Appleby onwards to see good numbers of commuters joining there and at the other little intermediate stations, and the 2-car set was comfortably full on arrival at the Border City. Next move was the 09:01 Virgin Supervomiter to Edinburgh, a 10-car set and almost empty. How very un-Cross Country. Are Virgin embarrassed about having got rid of loads of mk IIIs, DVTs and class 90s with years of service left in them, only to end up running diesel trains under the wires all the way from Birmingham to Glasgow and Edinburgh? They should be. The more so as the 221s would be [begrudgingly] welcomed by the benighted users of XC’s overcrowded services. As I sat with a coach all to myself, 4- and 5-car Vomiters elsewhere were bringing long-suffering commuters into Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol and various other places packed to the gunwales. The toilet smell was as unpleasant as ever; surely it wouldn’t be too hard to sort this out? It would be a huge improvement. The speed along the WCML and all the tilting was great fun though, and the 100½ miles to Haymarket is booked to be covered in 75 mins. We thundered through Lockerbie at some speed, entering what must surely be Britain’s longest stretch without an intermediate station, from there to Kirknewton, a distance of 65 1/4 miles. Carstairs was reached in 45 minutes which if you take a step back and think about it is just breathtaking. Let’s do something about the really slow approach to the junction though: taking this at 15mph after the run we’d just been treated to is a bit of a let down! We arrived at Haymarket on time at 10:16, but only after having been checked short of the junction for 8 minutes. This means the 100 miles to that signal were covered in 66 minutes, a very creditable average of 91mph, especially when you consider all the messing about round the back of Carstairs. A short wait for Saltire-liveried 156507 on the 10:30 to Glasgow Central via Shotts, taken as far as Cleland where the new operating base of one of our sub-contractors is located. A nice obscure station grice there :) This was a real trundle, reminiscent of the only previous time I’ve done it, in 1987 in a 3-car 101. Breaking the journey at Cleland help relieve the tedium a bit, although of course these days there’s the option of an hourly semi-fast for inhabitants of the bigger places en route. There was virtually no custom at any of the smaller intermediate stations though, so two trains an hour off peak on the route seems overkill. Even at Shotts only seven people boarded, although at Cleland three of us bailed and six boarded.

After the meeting I got another 156 into Glasgow for a haggis supper and then the 14:40 to Euston. At last! The first time I’ve ever been on a Pendolino on an open ticket. I’m certain Virgin stick the advance ticket holders away in all the crappiest nooks and crannies without even the hint of a window, so this is the first time I’ve been able to sit by a window on one of these trains. The smell from the toilets was as bad as on a Voyager, and the seats across the table from me had nothing but a blank wall to look at, but here I was joining that small and select band of people who have sat next to a window on a Pendo! On the positive side it’s a seriously fast train, and like this morning’s Vomiter it was hard not to be impressed by the sheer speed at which we careered and tilted our way through the Southern Uplands.

At Carlisle WRC 47826 was in platform 3 on the rear of a rake of WRC liveried mk II aircons, with all over blue 47237 on the front. The BSO immediately next to 47237 was in BR Inter-City livery, so for a while it was possible to stand in this largely unchanged station and imagine that it was 25 years ago. This pleasant illusion was shattered by a Vomiter snarling its decidedly unpleasant way into platform 1 heading for Glasgow, and shortly afterwards the incoming stock (158845) to form my 16:18 to Leeds arrived 30 minutes late on platform 6. Still 16 minutes before the booked departure though, so this particular Late Arrival Of Incoming Stock was ineligible to go into the Excuse Bank. Apart from the engine under the leading car of 158845 appearing to be on fire at both Armathwaite and Lazonby (it wasn’t: phew!) the journey home was uneventful and very pleasant. A gorgeous Autumn evening light was making the run look even better than ever, and all too soon I found myself back in Juiceland at Skipton with just a few minutes left to go. At Shipley I got into the waiting car and drove home, exhausted.

Apologies if this seems more of a rant than usual, but poor customer service and especially unnecessarily poor information provision makes me very cross. I’ve seen the best and the worst of the railway in the last three days.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

b0b

Established Member
an 8-car 319 rolled in on the 16:26, and treated us to a real thrash to East Croydon.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the 319, I think they're very unappreciated! I used to really enjoy bashing them between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport myself :D

4SRKT

Established Member
Glad to hear you enjoyed the 319, I think they're very unappreciated! I used to really enjoy bashing them between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport myself :D

I've subsequently noticed that certain trains in the FCC timetable booklet have a pink star at the top of the column, saying these trains are planned to be operated by stock with a disabled toilet. I presume that means these are the workings that are booked for 377s. Not that many actually, so I guess I was just unlucky on the 08:18 ex-London Bridge. OTOH it could literally mean that the toilet itself is disabled, and that a Voyager is what will turn up ;)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
there equal5y fun on a luton airport fast too! Another grand read, thanks for, in the process answering, perhaps another q of mine, the 9.0! From CAR. Wasnt sure since the announcement of longertrains continuing on scotland runs to brum if this was a pendo or vomitter. Is it a5ways one do you/anyone know? Glad work is happy to subsid4se your bashing habbit!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
EC seem to cancel the Skipton/Bradford services very easily (stopping short at Leeds). Annoying when I go out of my way to catch them so I don't have to worry about conenctions.

19th September

The 158 was surprisingly well loaded with T-shirt clad youths using this first train out of Leeds as a means of getting home after a night out. What I had thought would be a quiet journey was replete with loudly told tales of snogging, shagging, fights with bouncers and other excess. Still, they’d mostly bailed by Keighley, so it was quiet enough from there. I’d not considered this source of revenue for very early trains before, although I’m sure in my day we never stayed out that long, instead riding home in the single mk I SK or BSK attached to the Shrewsbury > York mail off Leeds at 02:25, which brings back bad and uncomfortable memories! Get with the programme Daddio: da yoof is different these days and thinks nothing of staying out all night on a Tuesday!

Ah, for a 0225 service - the problem is if you're going to Keighley you've not much option if you miss the 2318 unless you want to pay £50+ for a Leeds taxi (Keighley taxis are cheaper but unlikely to come out unless you've prebooked and paid a deposit). There's usually a little crowd at Leeds station overnight waiting for the first trains.

This seems to be about the only aspect of trains in West Yorkshire that hasn't improved since 1986 when I first bcame a regular rail user - many services have become more frequent, there's new stations and some new trains but last train times out of Leeds have remained stubbornly around 2300 (or much earlier if you're going far - 2040 towards London, 2230ish west of Halifax) unless you're going to Manchester/Airport.

19th September

The Carlisle train was showing on time, but at our departure time of 06:08 the ECS for the up EC off Skipton was passing through the platform. As expected at exactly 06:10 the 06:08 disappeared from the monitor to be replaced by the 06:33 Skipton as the first train. 158849 appeared at 06:12, which isn’t especially bad, but the information being offered was once again 100% inaccurate. Does anyone working at Northern care about the quality of information given to their passengers?

This problem of disappearing trains on the platform indicators seems to be common one on the Airedale line. I used to regularly get the 1750 from Keighley to Leeds on a Monday (liking the fact that if it or I had any problems it was followed by the 1802 - if not it was only 2 stops to Keighley). Invariably it would drop off the display so the train displayed was the all-stops 1802. I don't think I ever caught it without someone for Bingley or Saltaire accidentally overtravelling on it. I mentined it to station staff on a couple of occasions (hard to do at the time given the layout of the station) but it never seemed to change anything.

4SRKT

Established Member
26th October. A normal day at work started well on the 07:14 off Shipley into Leeds, the Skipton > London HST. At Leeds I saw 20901 and 20903 whistle through the station on the sandite, which was a sight and sound to gladden the heart. The scruffy 158 on the 07:43 Huddersfield was less joy-producing, but it’s only 4½ miles to Morley, so not an issue.

After work I picked up 144020 dead on time on the 17:21 off Morley back to Leeds (16:00 ex Manchester Victoria via Brighouse). Early into Leeds meant a leisurely stroll over the huge distance from platform 17 to platform 6 for 91127 on the rear of the 17:45 to the Cross. This was an uneventful journey acting as a positioning move for one last big bash of 2011 before the closed season starts when the clocks go back. At the Cross I crossed the road to Kings kebab house and bought a rather delicious doner, which I ate on the steps outside the hotel at St Pancras watching the world go by. I continued my stroll along to Euston and had only a few minutes to wait before the platform (15) was called for the 21:15 Highland Sleeper at 20:30. I walked the full length of this behemoth to check what was up front (class 87/2 no 90020), before walking back trying to work out the formation. The front two sleeping cars were for Fort William, the next four plus lounge car and seated coach for Aberdeen, and finally, six sleeping cars then the lounge and seats for Inverness. 16 bogies in all. I found my seat in the Aberdeen seated coach and it was a bit of a bummer. One of only two seats in the coach that faces others rather than being ‘airline style’, meaning leg room would be an issue once the passenger in the other seat had boarded at Crewe. This seat was to be my home for the next 11 hours, so as much comfort as possible was vital. Still, until Crewe I had plenty of space, and relaxed to read my book and enjoy a couple of bottles of Jennings (99p from Aldi at the moment :)). Not before getting my head out up the bank as far as Willesden: an amazing sight being right in the middle of the 17 rail vehicles in this cavalcade, and being able to look either way and see an extremely long train stretching into the distance.

At Crewe my travelling ‘companion’ joined and all sorts of awkward positions were needed to be adopted to avoid knocking into her legs. Notwithstanding this, I managed to sleep all the way to Edinburgh, where the brightness of the station lights woke me up on arrival at 03:48 (my ScotRail blindfold must have slipped off at some point). No problem though because it gave me a chance to see what was going on. A skip dropped on the back (now the front) of the train, and 90020 was uncoupled and pulled away from the other end. Another skip propelled a lounge car and seated coach onto the 2 Fort William sleeping cars [now] at the back, and 67004 came through the adjacent road and halted at the west end of the station. At this point there was a rake of 18 coaches with a skip at each end in platform 7/11! The 8 coach Inverness portion was uncoupled first and headed off promptly at 04:00. 67004 set back onto the front of the remaining stock, and the rearmost 4 cars were uncoupled and skip 4 pulled the 6 Aberdeen coaches forward to the end of platform 11. Finally the skip that had propelled the Fort William lounge/seats on ran round and waited at platform 7 for its right away. 4 minutes early at 04:36 skip 4 took us out towards Aberdeen (the Fort William train would leave at 04:50, the first public service train of the day off Edinburgh). Passing Haymarket depot however we overtook a rake of sleeping cars with a skip on the down Glasgow line. I don’t know what else this could possibly have been and can only assume it was the Inverness portion stopped for some reason. Seriously late of course (due at Stirling at 04:56) and if it didn’t get out of the way soon would be blocking the path of the Fort William. I went to the vestibule and stayed there until over the Forth Bridge and then sat down again.

At Dundee a man vacated a pair of airline style seats and I made a beeline for that and fell into a deep sleep, waking up as we pulled into the incredibly long platform 7 at Aberdeen five early at 07:30. I hope my travelling companion wasn’t offended, but I suspect she was as glad as I was to get some legroom. I bade skip 4 farewell and headed off in search of breakfast. The Granite City was bitterly cold and I had only 22 minutes before my next move, so luckily the best breakfast place in the known world ('Sizzlers') is almost opposite the station. For £2.69 I had a breadcake stuffed with 2 rashers of bacon, a fried egg, a large sausage, plus a large tea to wash it down with. All served by a pretty Scots girl with a somewhat impenetrable accent! Much impressed with this bargain I headed back to the station and boarded the 07:52 HST to the Cross. First bite into the breakfast roll saw egg yolk all over the fingers of my left hand, which wasn’t what I’d had in mind. Wolfed the lot down, licked my fingers, and settled in for the ride. It was a glorious morning and the ride was pleasant enough, although the TSO I was in was very rough riding. The person who’d reserved the seat next to me was no show, so I had plenty of room. At Dundee I went to the vestibule for the incredibly long run across the Tay Bridge, taking a number of photos, including a great one of the stumps of the original bridge, serving as a nice reminder of what can happen! The morning light was golden and by Wormit Dundee looked a very long way away across the silv’ry Tay. Back to the seats until Kinghorn where I got more heads out as far as Dalmeny, savouring the lovely Fife coastline and the drama of the Forth Bridge. By Haymarket the train was wedged so I went to the vestibule again to let someone have my seat before I bailed at Edinburgh. I was leaning out through Princes Street Gardens until some ridiculous Ada tapped me on the back and asked me had I seen the ‘Do not lean out of the window’ sign. I shrugged and said “we’re not going very fast” when what I really meant was “I’ve been doing this for 30 years and can judge lineside clearances and oncoming vegetation to the nearest inch, and just how far do you think lineside structures are from the side of the train anyway?”. She just replied that signs are there for a reason, so with a look that said “mind your own business” I went about my business.

This sort of uncritical acceptance of ‘authority’ without any consideration of actual risk or danger, or of the role of personal responsibility, drives me mental. It is what has led to people allowing themselves to be photographed naked in airports by baboons working for security firms, without finding it in any way ridiculous or morally outrageous. Over the past generation or so we have abdicated responsibility for our lives to various higher ‘authorities’ that we presume to have our interests at heart to an alarming degree. This is profoundly worrying, especially so as for many people the acceptance of it is not merely passive, but they seem to thrive on actively minding other people’s business. This ranges from the person who takes a pointless job self-importantly dusting down innocent people’s laptops in airports, to an interfering old busybody on a train telling a hardened gricer effectively to “get yer bl**dy head in!”. LEAVE ME ALONE!

Anyway……we were 5 down at Edinburgh, and my next move was a 170 on the 10:45 to Glasgow Queen Street. By this stage I was riding on my favourite ticket ever: a VWC + connections £20 advance from just about anywhere in the Central Belt (in this case Edinburgh) to just about anywhere in West Yorkshire (Shipley), via route Glasgow and Appleby. This is so much cheaper than the cheapest Edinburgh > Shipley advance via either the ECML or direct Edinburgh > Carlisle that the additional time is likely to be worth it for many people. If the reaction of the grip was anything to go by, 'many people' don’t know anything about this ticket. Quite what was I doing with a ticket from Edinburgh to Shipley riding on a train from Edinburgh to Glasgow QS? It’s an absolutely belting ticket though: get it from Helensburgh and splice with an advance Mallaig > Helensburgh and you can go from Mallaig to Leeds for £33.90!

No problem getting through the barrier at Queen Street with the Golden Ticket, and I went to the machine to buy a CDR to Milngavie. I caught the 11:56 to Anniesland, formed absurdly by a 158, to get the required track from Maryhill Park Junction round to platform 3 at Anniesland (station grice as well :)). The 12:20 to Dalmuir was running 5 minutes late, and this held up my 12:26 to Milngavie, needed for more required track. This was a through train from Edinburgh so the 334 that rolled in was not unexpected. I’d seen 2 318s in my few minutes at Anniesland, so was hoping that my return working from Milngavie would be one of these elderly York-built sets, on the 12:42 to Lanark. Had to get to Milngavie first though, and with the 12:26 leaving 4 down, my plus 5 at the terminus was looking dodgy. We left Hillfoot at 12:37 though, so everything looked on track until, incredibly, we were checked outside Milngavie station! We arrived at 12:41, but someone seems to think it’s a good idea to stable a 334 in platform 2 during the day, so we arrived three coach lengths from the entrance. I’d put myself in the front coach at Anniesland, but even so had to sprint round to platform 1 for the 12:42, formed annoyingly of another 334. I rode this to Glasgow Central at 13:07 without further incident, where I took the surprisingly long walk from the low level platforms to the main entrance on George Street.

Off to the Italian chip shop for a delicious smoked sausage supper and back for the 13:40 to Euston. My theory that the cheaper the ticket you have, the crappier the corner of the Pendo Virgin stick you in was blown away by the discovery that my seat was right in the middle of a window. What’s more the occupant of the seat next to me was again no show, so about as good as a ride in second class in a Pendo can get: nowhere near the stinky bogs either! I was a bit nonplussed by this, not having much experience of being able to see anything out of a Pendo before. I had the ScotRail blindfold from the Caley in my pocket, so I toyed with the idea of putting it on, the better to reproduce my previous Pendolino experiences ;) Another 318 was taunting me as we passed Rutherglen, but by now it was too late.

I was knackered by now and the journey went pretty quickly. The weather was turning rubbish by this stage, and home seemed a good destination. For once nothing interesting was happening at Carlisle loco-wise either with freight or some sort of railtour stock activity, so I boarded the 15:05 ‘express’ to Leeds at platform 6, formed of 158855. The Northern Rail interior was drab and scruffy compared to the ScotRail example gracing the Anniesland shuttle in the morning, but more concerning after a 2 minutes late departure the set was clearly struggling. The driver came on to tell us that the rear car had no power and we were going to be making the journey on one engine. He predicted a 10-15 minutes late arrival at Skipton where he speculated that the train might be caped and we would get put out onto a 333. Personally this didn’t bother me as with the rain looking more menacing the further south we got, the idea of bailing at Saltaire instead of Shipley seemed attractive for the shorter walk home. We were certainly making very poor speed and the starts from Appleby and Kirkby Stephen were straining the one engine badly. Just as well this train only does three stops between Carlisle and Skipton. Eventually we ground up to the summit at Ais Gill, and from there things got easier. So much so that arrival at Skipton was two early at 16:53! Eh? What’s that about? Talk about slack timing! It makes you wonder what might be possible if this line were used to its full potential. A two-hourly express from Leeds to Glasgow perhaps, calling only at Shipley (in its function as “North Bradford and Airedale Parkway”), Skipton, Carlisle, Lockerbie and Motherwell perhaps? This is a well engineered main line after all, whose gradients are pretty steady considering the terrain. The local service could be a two hourly Pacer from Skipton to Carlisle, which would provide great visibility for tourists and walkers, while the improved frequency would compensate locals for the fact of having to change at Skipton.

Leaving Skipton on time at 16:58 the train was now in a section where a sensible timetable applied, and its lack of power started to show. Only one minute down by Shipley though, at 17:21, which meant that the whole trip had lasted exactly 24 hours for 1,122½ miles! The rain was bucketing by this stage, so a brisk walk home was followed by a nice rest, bringing the 2011 bashing season almost to a close.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Sounds like a fine run by good friend. Bit awkward about the Sleeper, but I guess it would happen once every so often...

So what little is left for 2011?

4SRKT

Established Member
Only thing left apart from commuting to work and other local trips is Spitfire's class 50 tour to Edinburgh and the Fife Circle on 19th November.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An extremely good way to almost-finish the year! Envious you got 67004, still need that one. 1,122.5 miles in 24 hours is good going, fair play!

Shame you're not on the Spitfire tour a week later with more reliable traction, hope you make it to Edinburgh the same day :lol:

4SRKT

Established Member
I haven't been behind a 50 on the main line for at least 20 years, so I'm looking forward to it! My wife is having her operation 10 days beforehand though, so this has changed my plans. I can't leave here with the kids so close to the op, so I'm going to drive the boys to my parents in York and catch the tour there. Her mother is over so she'll be on hand during the day. I was going to get the tour at Dewsbury, so I'll miss a bit, including Morley Tunnel. Coming back the tour doesn't leave Edinburgh until 17:15, so rather than ride home completely in the dark I've booked an advance on EC to get home earlier and get the boys. Having to drive to/from York will keep me off the booze as well.

I'll miss out on the 50s southbound, but I'll get the northbound and Fife Circle runs. It was either do this or not go frankly.

4SRKT

Established Member
That doesn't sound good at all!

Normally I'd agree, but having to deal with an infirm wife makes it a good idea to go easy! I'll have 2 or 3 bottles on the tour. I'm catching the 15:30 ex-Edinburgh so will be back at my folks' house by about 18:15. Stopping drinking about Glenrothes should ensure all alcohol is processed out of the system before any driving is required. Normally I arrive home from tours in something like a drunken stupor (yes, I like to be one of the 'lively' gits in the front two coaches ;))

Blindtraveler

Established Member
grand bash and all on lines I know and love. Agree about the S and C utilhsation you propose, really would be great and Id use it certainly as its much better traction and journey wise than the alternatives! Wishing you and familly all the best at this im sure challenging time!

4SRKT

Established Member
19th November. The last big move of the year, and (quite possibly) the last entry in this blog. I’m not going to do it next year, but I figured I might as well carry on with a thread called ‘2011 Blog’ right up to the end of the year. There has been a flowering of trip reports on here recently, which is a good thing, but it does mean that there is also plenty of room to stop doing it as well……

Due to the rather surprising cancellation of my wife's back operation a couple of weeks ago due to it being deemed no longer necessary, I was able to revert to my original plan for this day, rather than taking our sons to York to spend the day with my parents and me return early on a service train from Edinburgh at 15:30. This is of course a huge relief, not especially from a cranking POV, but because it was to be a serious operation, with potentially disastrous consequences should anything go wrong, and was causing an awful lot of stress and worry to the whole family.

Another early start, on the 06:10 ex-Saltaire into Leeds for a 62 minute wait before Spitfire’s ‘Edinburgh Explorer II’ railtour, hauled by the hellfire combination of 50049 and 50044. This fester shouldn’t have happened in the original plan, which was to take the 06:55 TPE to Dewsbury and pick-up the tour there. However, the Dewsbury stop had been cut out, and because there is an hour’s gap in the Airedale line service first thing on Saturday morning, I had no option but to get up and fester. This also meant that I missed out on the Morley tunnel with the Hoovers, but probably this wouldn’t matter as it turned out because my travelling companions, who had boarded at Manchester Victoria, contacted me to say they were third coach from the back in a 12-coach rake. Hmmm. So far so not so good. This tour had originally been planned for August, and the itinerary was Preston > Edinburgh via Manchester and Leeds, followed by an optional mini-tour via the Fife Circle, before returning by the same route, all with a brace of 50s. The tour was postponed until November, meaning that the whole return journey would be under cover of darkness. Less than a fortnight before the tour, the mini-tour was announced to be not the 50s, but ‘WCRC traction’, i.e. whatever was on the back. At the same time the Dewsbury stop was cut. At least the stock wasn’t aircons, which was a relief, but the set was the wrong way round, meaning that the cranks would be at the back for the whole time the 50s were powering, due to the train’s reversal around the Fife Circle.

Why does this matter? Surely somebody has to be at the back? The way I see it is that this sort of railtour’s clientele falls into two broad categories. Of course there is much blurring, but broadly this is demonstrably the case to anyone who looks in the carriages on the day. On the one hand there are cranks, who are at least to some extent there for the traction, and on the other there are day trippers, who aren’t, and who are much more likely to book in first class, leaving the cranks in second, and a nice, convenient bit of social apartheid keeps everyone happy. The day trippers are there for a nice day out in Edinburgh or wherever. They are much less likely to care what is hauling the train. The cranks care about this possibly above all else. It is absolutely vital therefore that the set is marshalled in such a way that the second class is near the locomotive(s). On trips where the set doesn’t reverse itself, this is much less important as the locos will change ends. However, in this case the cranks were left with no possibility of hearing the EE thrash at all, for the whole day. As much as I respect Spitfire Railtours for being a decent company, running largely excellent tours, this lack of attention to detail on this occasion cannot be passed over. To risk alienating a large proportion of your clientele in this way is dangerous to say the least. Spitfire is a commercial organisation that needs to meet all its clients’ needs, and it is no good blaming WCRC for sending the set in the wrong way round. Spitfire need to be much firmer with their stock providers that the train provided will satisfy the demands of all their paying customers. After all Spitfire are the customer in that relationship.

The weather was vile in West Yorkshire (which would have been unlikely in August......) and bagging a vestibule was easy enough (what was the point frankly so far away from the locos?). Rather like watching a video on YouTube on a laptop with a knackered sound card, the 50s could frustratingly be seen a long way away, but no sound heard. Apart from a slight GM hum from 57001 on the back that is. Aside from this the tour was a success, with the usual convivial atmosphere, and the first beers out by 09:00. At Craigentinny I walked forward about 3 coaches and I got my head out as the train restarted for Waverley and I actually heard some class 50 action!! We went and had a look at the splendid machines at Waverley before rejoining the train for a pedestrian 3 hr 17 min trundle around the Edinburgh Suburban and Fife Circle behind 57001. This turned out to be the highlight of the day, with copious clouds of clag and an unexpected Valenta-style scream from the turbocharger. However, a late-advertised class 57 substitution should not be the highlight of an EE enthusiast’s day on a class 50 tour! Mucho hanging about at Gorgie on the way out and Brunstane on the way back before Waverley was reached on time.

Off to the Grassmarket for a few beers before returning for the southbound tour at 17:37. The train was nowhere to be seen and several bladders were reaching crisis point by the time 57001 rolled back into platform 19 with the stock, three minutes after the train should have departed. One of my companions was in such discomfort that he took the highly unorthodox step of paying 30p for a slash in the station toilets! I remember the first time I encountered a public bog that you had to pay for. It was at Glasgow Queen Street, some time in the late 1980s IIRR. It was 20p at the time, I guess equivalent to about £1 today. I was so outraged that I simply boarded the stock of an Aberdeen train waiting in platform 7, had a wee, and flushed it straight onto the track. AFAICR I have never paid to use a public toilet and am not about to start doing so now. I piled onto the train apparently experiencing the first stages of kidney failure and availed of the facilities, before retaking my seat. We departed Edinburgh twelve minutes late in silence and total darkness, proceeding along the ECML without being able to see or hear anything of interest. The journey passed pleasantly enough due to the company I was keeping, and I did catch two more fleeting bits of thrash from a distance as we pulled away from signal checks. Back at Leeds the driver didn’t even thrash the locos as they pulled away. I caught the 22:03 Skipton train (spectacularly out of the xx:26/xx:56 pattern this one), and headed for home.

Now I did have a good day on Saturday, BUT I could have had an equally good day on a WY DayRover going round pubs with a group of friends who were interested in all things EE, and this would not have cost anything like as much money. I can understand that the mini-tour would not have been altered unless this was unavoidable, and while it’s disappointing Spitfire can’t be held responsible for it. I can also imagine that the Dewsbury stop wasn’t cut without a good reason. However, it is not a trivial detail that the set is presented the wrong way round. I doubt that railtours could run on First Class dining alone, just as they cannot run on cranks alone. They both need to be catered for, but happily as described above, their needs can be met on the same train without causing any inconvenience to each other. This did not happen on this occasion. Sure, we can blame WCRC, but I think that misses the point that however much we like Spitfire, they are not a charity and if they disappoint for whatever reason they will have to endure the consequences, not WCRC. On tours where cranks are part of the target market (i.e. some form of unusual traction is being provided), if it cannot be guaranteed that stock providers deliver sets to maximise satisfaction to all clients, then tour itineraries should not include moves that result in the loco(s) being on the same end all day. Except for mini-tours where you can sit anywhere, my companions and I certainly will not be booking on any more railtours where this is planned to happen, and I would be surprised if I’m the only one who thinks like this. The risk is simply too great that I will see very little of what I have come for, and hear even less. I’ll clock up my mileage on service trains and thrash at diesel galas.

Not a great end to the year I’m afraid, but too many things about this day were different from what I expected when I booked it back in May.

Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member
Re: Carriage formation - that was more than likely an operational issue. Given the late notice, it's entirely possible that the entire train would have to be remarshalled, Spitfire would have given specific instructions on the formation.

4SRKT

Established Member
Re: Carriage formation - that was more than likely an operational issue. Given the late notice, it's entirely possible that the entire train would have to be remarshalled, Spitfire would have given specific instructions on the formation.

I don't doubt that you're right. My point, possibly not succintly enough put, was that if the formation of stock cannot be 100% guaranteed, then itineraries that result in locos being on the same end all day should be avoided, no matter how tempting this may be from an operational convenience POV. Had this mini-tour gone to Perth or Dundee and back rather than round the frankly old hat Fife Circle, the entire cause for the main complaint would have disappeared. The only kind of tour I'll be avoiding in future (apart from ones with aircons) is ones where there is a risk that if you start at the back, you end up at the back all day.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
o dear. Thats a bad end. I heard you come in and stand at craigentiny and head off again then heard the 57 hauling you off round the suburban again and finally coming back in. Little cumfort but the driver did open up again as you past homewards but ofcourse you wouldnt have heard!

Other than that a bit lackluster by the sound of it!

As to not doing a 2012 blog? I know I woant be the only one to miss it, your the inspiration and I'd urge you to seriusly reconsidder as your reports are always great!

Your doubtless feeling a bit fed up with it all ATM but seriusly its great reading and if this years any example a great veriety! It wouldnt be the same without it! im glad your Wifes health is on the mend.

scotsman

Established Member
I don't doubt that you're right. My point, possibly not succintly enough put, was that if the formation of stock cannot be 100% guaranteed, then itineraries that result in locos being on the same end all day should be avoided, no matter how tempting this may be from an operational convenience POV. Had this mini-tour gone to Perth or Dundee and back rather than round the frankly old hat Fife Circle, the entire cause for the main complaint would have disappeared. The only kind of tour I'll be avoiding in future (apart from ones with aircons) is ones where there is a risk that if you start at the back, you end up at the back all day.

To be fair, it was pretty late when they heard that the 57 would be on. Spitfire's only option that would have resulted in 50s leading would have been to reroute the mini-tour via Princes Street Gardens in one direction only...

4SRKT

Established Member
To be fair, it was pretty late when they heard that the 57 would be on. Spitfire's only option that would have resulted in 50s leading would have been to reroute the mini-tour via Princes Street Gardens in one direction only...

I think you've misunderstood. The original plan would have seen the set reverse itself around the circle as well, so the problem would have been exactly the same. The tour was rerouted in both directions via the Suburban, which caused the 57 to be on the front. Anyway I have already said that I accept that the 50s not leading around the Fife Circle was out of Spitfire's control.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So I'm not the only one who's had issues with Spitfire recently then! Since The Lowland Growler 3 has been cancelled, I'm more than peeved with Spitfire myself.

Disappointed you're not doing a 2012 bashing blog, always worth a read but up to you of course.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm thinking of starting a blog proper rather than messing about on here. This would be only partially about railways, and would supercede both this and the ramblings I post on Facebook. Facebook isn't really the best environment for my stuff, which can be a bit controversial. My aim is to be like a kind of cross between Steve Albini and Simon Armitage, that is to write about as poetically as possible about the dark underbelly of northern life in a pulls-no-punches style. The town of Morley comes in for a fairly severe slating as a sort of catch-all-Northern-craphole acting as a conduit for my invective. The railway would get a good look in as well though.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
well when up and running please post a link as would be interested in all the above, naturally with a soft spot for rail related stuff but the other topics are of interest to me too. If you dont want us reading it fare enough but it sounds good and what I have enjoyed in particular is your observations on life, people and places in general as you tour the country.

4SRKT

Established Member
Well, there won't be any more trips in 2011, so I'll say goodbye to what's been a great year on the rails for me personally. What started badly with my wife's indisposition has finished up with a personal best of 14,107.5 miles, close to 60% of it not on modern DMUs! A concerted effort in my 'Year of the Locomotive' saw a huge total on loco-hauled trains, and while a significant minority of this was with class 91s, the majority wasn't. Thanks to Arriva Trains Wales, First Great Western and ScotRail for providing the bulk of the interesting loco-haulage, with Chiltern Trains and Irish Rail/NIR providing a welcome extra bit.

Top TOC has unsurprisingly been Northern (just) with East Coast in close second and ScotRail in third. Class 91s in front traction-wise (except when propelling ;)), with HSTs in second and 57s a surprise third.

Best moment of the year bar none was the return working of the RPSI tour from Limerick to Dublin, flying along the GS&WR main line at speed with massive sound effects from 080. Biggest disappointment was missing the Deltic on the Spitfire positioning move from Preston > Euston. Biggest disappointment that I actually went on was the Spitfire Edinburgh Explorer II class 50 silencefest, which has made me question just how big a part railtours will play in my future activities, especially now that I am managing to get great mileage and interest out of the day-to-day railway. Since I opted out of the company car scheme a year ago, my understanding of the breathtakingly complex world of rail fares has come on leaps and bounds, and part of the fun of planning trips on the 'real' railway is minimising cost, a pleasure that handing over £60 to Spitfire or whoever doesn't deliver. Other great moments were taking my lad for the first time on the Sleeper to the 'Zance; the second evening trip to Rannoch, this time done 'gonzo' in fabulous weather, and with haggis, neeps and tatties after it got dark; and of course the trips to Northern Ireland for the DEMUs in their eleventh hour.

Thanks to all who've bothered to read this and comment over the past year. I've now got a nice sheaf of reports all bound up at home, which I daresay will make entertaining reading in the future when I look back at what I was doing in the years following my rediscovery of my passion for the railway.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
having spent a lot of the time lately re reading your 2011 exploits it has indeed been amazing! Thinking a year of the loco is in order myself next year as this one for me has undoubtedly been that of the sprinter, chiefly the 158. This was not planned, it just happened!

Be sure to post a link to your new blog if stil intend to do one or start another 2012 thread as I woant be the only one who wants to see what your upto. Thanks for it all.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You did pretty well done altogether, considering as you say most of it has been connected with travel for work. Agreed with the exploring of the complexities of the fares system and finding a bargain, or at least a series of fares that work brilliantly, a most welcome pleasure what with no railcard these days.

Hopefully I'll keep up to date with your 2012 blog as it gets done, as I don't doubt it'll be well written and an entertaining read.

Status
Not open for further replies.