• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

323221 new livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Corn

323221 is out and about today. Just saw it leave New Street on 2U14 at 0846.

Corn

Just so I’m prepared for when I see it later :lol:

Was it at the four oaks or Redditch end of the set? Thanks
It was at the Redditch end. It looked good from what I could see at the gloomy platform level!

Liam L

It was at the Redditch end. It looked good from what I could see at the gloomy platform level!

Caught it at Northfield, looks amazing

Attachments

• 8164C7D7-2F21-4722-8B80-D70F499D6AFC.jpeg
    8164C7D7-2F21-4722-8B80-D70F499D6AFC.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 224

LowLevel

Established Member
Very, very 90s though. I'm glad they've moved away from such designs.
I'm not! I liked the 90s. The world was a bit more grey and boring and you knew where you were with things. I'd go back to 1998 tomorrow :lol:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I wish they hadn't, at least the linear liveries of the sectorisation era respected the architecture of the train, and there was a familial resemblance between the different PTE identities around the country as a result of adapting the Regional Railways corporate style.

There's so much dross amongst modern liveries that are either insipid white-based designs or a multi-coloured mess of vinyl vomited over the bodysides that seem to draw inspiration from WW1 dazzle camouflage more than any sort of coherent identity, and seems unintentionally indicative of the directionless nature of the passenger railway today.

The world moves on of course, but I look at some of the things that can be done with vinyl these days and consider that just because they *can*, doesn't mean they *should*.

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
I'm not! I liked the 90s. The world was a bit more grey and boring and you knew where you were with things. I'd go back to 1998 tomorrow :lol:
Likewise - and the liveries were generally much better, too.

Does anyone else reckon the grey is a bit too dark? Perhaps it is just the photography.

tnxrail

Seen some nice pictures and videos around. If it's out tomorrow will it likely be same diagrams.

xotGD

Established Member
I come at it from the opposite perspective. Should never have adopted such a hotchpotch of liveries in the first place. Should have stuck with blue and grey.

Today's are even worse.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I come at it from the opposite perspective. Should never have adopted such a hotchpotch of liveries in the first place. Should have stuck with blue and grey.

Today's are even worse.
Blue and grey is not lime green and yellow though ;)

prod_pep

Established Member
It does come across darker than the original in person, But my photography skills doesn't help :lol:
I was making a general comment about the various photos and videos out there so far, not a dig at your photography, by the way! :lol:

Sprinter107

I always thought the Centro livery was smart. It was a nice bright green without being gaudy, which is very different to some of the liveries we have had in recent times.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Likewise - and the liveries were generally much better, too.

Does anyone else reckon the grey is a bit too dark? Perhaps it is just the photography.
The grey between the blue strip and green stripe should be much lighter and it's a bit square in places but it's being picky, they've made a good try of it!

Attached are photos from an original liveried unit in 2003 at Aston courtesy of The Tfh on YouTube and the one supplied from Hunslet the Bear on Twitter.

74v81e.jpg

bramling

Veteran Member

Agreed. It’s also notable that I’ve seen quite a few people impressed with LNER’s retro Intercity 225 livery. These old liveries were quite impactful without all the garish stuff we’ve had to suffer since.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
The grey between the blue strip and green stripe should be much lighter and it's a bit square in places but it's being picky, they've made a good try of it!

Attached are photos from an original liveried unit in 2003 at Aston courtesy of The Tfh on YouTube and the one supplied from Hunslet the Bear on Twitter.

View attachment 125494
323221 is still base grey of London Midland where as the original was white.

william.martin

On Moderation
That looks excellent! I think its a nice nod to them. They've served the area well over the last 30 odd years!
100% agreed, they were built to whizz people around Britain's second busiest city from Bromsgrove, four oaks and Redditch via Britain's busiest station outside of London.
The amount of footfall these things get everyday is utterly remarkable for a bunch of 30 year old commuter trains wich are built for one purpose; get people from A-B quickly, on time and regularly and boy did they do this well.
I think it is great to see 323221 in this beautiful livery, would anybody be able to inform me of how long I have to see this?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
100% agreed, they were built to whizz people around Britain's second busiest city from Bromsgrove, four oaks and Redditch via Britain's busiest station outside of London.
The amount of footfall these things get everyday is utterly remarkable for a bunch of 30 year old commuter trains wich are built for one purpose; get people from A-B quickly, on time and regularly and boy did they do this well.
I think it is great to see 323221 in this beautiful livery, would anybody be able to inform me of how long I have to see this?
You've got until 730s start to be introduced, so probably quite a while yet.

Lets not forget they did a lot of Wolverhampton - Coventry work when introduced, known to some as the second Cross City Line. And of course, Bromsgrove has only been a recent addition :)

Status
Not open for further replies.