• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

90% of Network Rail workers expect a major accident to happen in the next 2 years due to cost cutting

YorkshireBear

Established Member
As a Signaller for the Sheffield and Rotherham area, I have noticed a massive increase in the amount of time it's taking to get faults repaired. For instance I have never in my 21 years known so many points banned to facing moves in a certain position, but then never getting repaired. With regards the chances of an accident, I'm not sure, there's more Line Blockages for maintenance than I've ever known before, and the same amount of T3s etc. Is there more broken rails, or are we better at finding them? I'm not a track worker so not really qualified to say so.

As an aside, maintenance wise, the weeds at Sheffield Station have been well controlled last year, the best it's looked in years. Shame about the retaining walls.
There might be more line blockages and T3s but that is now the only access anyone looking after the infrastructure gets. Previously there was line blocks, T3s, and red zone walking, or even working in some cases. We are starting to see the impact of taking all boots off ballast when trains run in some areas. There is a balance of course but unfortunately some jobs need doing in daylight (vegetation inspections for example).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I think distributing leaflets is a great idea to get the message out about the cost cuttings, the RMT is very good at getting their message out effectively.

I was out and sbout today and didn’t see a single ‘activist’ or a leaflet. Not sure the message has been got out!

Railsigns

Established Member
I was out and sbout today and didn’t see a single ‘activist’ or a leaflet. Not sure the message has been got out!
I was handed an RMT leaflet outside a major railway station this morning.

Mikw

Despite the poor journalism and potentially misleading statistics, the important point is that a group of industry professionals think we are on course for another major accident. The subtext being that it is more likely than before because of budget cuts etc.

I think there are worse things to spend money on than railway safety. I do not agree with the posters on this thread that are (seemingly) willing to accept accidents due to poor maintenance because of budget cuts as a fact of life because there is 'no magic money tree'. As others above have said, there are areas where cuts may be better placed.
Yes, it's a real worry. Pretty much every sector hit by cuts is turned into a mess.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Carmont was an accident waiting to happen. There had been a number of landslip events without fatalities including the near miss in Watford Slow tunnel in September 2016. Network rail has put in measures to deal with this risk since Carmont.

Perhaps I was too early this morning. Or too late this evening.
I didn't get any arriving into York at 08:05 but colleagues arriving 08:30 to 09:30 did. So might have been too early.

Annetts key

Established Member
You may be overlooking the subcontracting arrangement for many services and works. While there might be a reduced number of NR staff to undertake some de-veg, the requirement will more than likely be satisfied via a subcontractor so it doesn't necessarily mean that there will be less maintenance just because there is a reduced headcount of NR delivery/maintenance teams.

I'm well aware of the contractors that Network Rail uses. But even they can't keep up with the vegetation clearance. After two or three years, Buddleja bushes have already grown back, with fast growing trees soon after taking hold after a few more years.

And Network Rail have made it clear that they have less money for maintenance full stop. It's not just about a reduction in their own maintenance staffing levels.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
RMT Press Office:

RMT will hold a 'Rail Cuts Cost Lives' rally and lobby MSPs at Holyrood on Thursday.

Total renewals expenditure for Scotland over the next 5 years is £315m or 13% lower than in the previous funding period.
The renewals will cover track, off-track, signalling, level crossings, earthworks, drainage, buildings, electrification and fixed plant, and telecommunications.
The combined crises on our railway of record high inflation, ageing infrastructure and climate change are crises that will have a devastating impact on our railway in the short, medium and long-term.
This is why we need more investment in our railway infrastructure not less.
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: "The proposal to reduce renewal work and instead put a sticking plaster of increased maintenance and using operational controls such as speed restrictions is simply a dangerous and reckless way to run a railway for the next five-year period.
"This will ultimately pile more pressure on our railway and increase the risks to both passengers and railway workers.
"Reducing renewals over the next five-year period will not only threaten services and safety on our railways but also thousands of skilled railway jobs.
"We do not want to see more rail disaster like that at Carmont.
"Our lobby and rally of MSPs is about putting pressure on the Scottish government to take responsibility and make sure our railway infrastructure is funded properly."
END
Notes:
The lobby of the Scottish Parliament will take place from 10:45 and we will be inviting MSP's out to show their support and discuss our campaign.
The Scottish government has devolved powers in Transport and they decide the funding envelope for Network Rail in Scotland.

Seeing as the Scottish Government has control over Network Rail Scotland, the RMT has a good chance of convincing MSPs to commit to more funding than with MPs in Westminster.

snowball

Established Member
Seeing as the Scottish Government has control over Network Rail Scotland, the RMT has a good chance of convincing MSPs to commit to more funding than with MPs in Westminster.
Only if they can suggest what else to cut to find the money.

3RDGEN

A week ago the Scottish Government announced all new NHS build projects would be paused for up to 2 years, can't see them giving the railway money in front of the NHS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68227448 -

All new NHS building projects in Scotland put on hold -​

Plans to build new hospitals, surgeries and a network of treatment centres in Scotland have been put on hold.
At least a dozen NHS construction projects across Scotland have been delayed or paused for up to two years as a result of budget pressures.
Health boards were told by the Scottish government that no money was currently available for the building schemes.
The Scottish government said a revised NHS infrastructure plan would be unveiled in the spring.

The latest Scottish budget had to address an estimated £1.5bn funding shortfall.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Dr Hoo

Established Member
It’s not that long since the Periodic Review 2023 settlement for Network Rail in Scotland 2025-29 was finalised on the basis of the Statement Of Funds Available and High Level Output Statement from the Scottish Government.

Wagonshop

I spent most of my working life on the railway in the operating C.M.E.E and Civil Engineering department's and found many things wrong and when reported was always sorted.
Never told I was wrong, I did tell a signalman to close the line once and got under a lot of pressure to run trains at reduced speed. When the p/way inspector arrived asked if is this safe for passage of trains. No he said.
I been retired 30 years has is it changed, safety was always put first

Anstecker

With so much concern about track workers getting hit by trains I find it totally insane that the rule that trains should have yellow fronts has been abandoned. So many RAIB reports of track workers getting clear with just a second or two to spare.

Making trains even the tiniest bit more conspicuous, a slightly brighter blur out of the corner of someone's eye, that could be the difference between "was shaken" and "life-changing injuries" or worse.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
With so much concern about track workers getting hit by trains I find it totally insane that the rule that trains should have yellow fronts has been abandoned. So many RAIB reports of track workers getting clear with just a second or two to spare.

Making trains even the tiniest bit more conspicuous, a slightly brighter blur out of the corner of someone's eye, that could be the difference between "was shaken" and "life-changing injuries" or worse.

With very few exceptions, track workers are now banned from working on ‘live’ tracks that have trains operating on them. Besides, a functioning headlight is rather more conspicuous than a yellow cab end.

Class 170101

Established Member
With very few exceptions, track workers are now banned from working on ‘live’ tracks that have trains operating on them. Besides, a functioning headlight is rather more conspicuous than a yellow cab end.
And to add to the comments above, with the LED lights being so bright now you won't see the yellow front, not that I advocate its abolition.