• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A question about commuting to vs living in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi everyone.

Our youngest daughter’s partner has just moved over from Canada and it’s looking like he’s been offered a job in London. The office is quite near Vauxhall station.

Neither of them are particularly city type people and they’re very unlikely to want to go out clubbing in London at the weekends etc, also our daughter has a car, so if they want to come back to Exeter for a weekend that would be quite useful.

What I was wondering about was whether anyone else had faced a similar decision on where to choose to live, where wouldn’t be too expensive, what to advise them really?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do they have a preference on living style? Room? house share? Flat? Home?

Also how much travel will they tolerate? I know many people who live in MK and travel to London for work but it is only about an hour for them due to working on the north side of London.

EDIT - not suggesting MK btw just using it as an example of travel people will do - Also worth looking at the employers hybrid working policy as that could guide locations! if you are only expected to be in the office twice a week then you can live much further out.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Also how much travel will they tolerate?
Another question is would the OP's daughter's partner be willing to consider intermediate changes of train (or of tube train or even bus) on their way to Vauxhall each working day. Multiple changes would, I reckon, soon become tedious.

Think I'm right in saying that most country-bound trains calling at Vauxhall will be headed for leafy Surrey which will impact on the affordability of accommodation, so there'll be a trade off between journey length, property size, niceness of residential area and cost/affordability.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Had a relative with similar dilemma, and without knowing what full circumstances are (do they both work, any children or any on the way etc) the usual factors are.

Can they live in country and weekend, and get bolthole during week, do you mind the long journeys on Monday morning or Friday night, is it one or both of them, could it be shorter work week (or longer days) say 4 working days, 3 weekend days.

Once those are chosen, either need to decide if want to live near work, or commute. The nearer the centre the harder to park a car, and slower to get out of London. Or are they able to get a train to and from London start/end of week, and what is relative cost.

Generally wouldn't recommend commuting much over 60-70 minutes, if doing daily, starts to get very tiring, especially if it goes above about 90 minutes. (and if daily becomes 15% of waking hours)

urbophile

Established Member
Would he be based in the office full time, or working from home part of the week? Part-time commuting would be more bearable. Most places to the SW of London would be within one change at most of Vauxhall. But the solution depends largely on their budget and the general house prices within that region –which won't be cheap.
Kirsty and Phil to the rescue perhaps?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Neither of them are particularly city type people and they’re very unlikely to want to go out clubbing in London at the weekends etc,

'London' isn't just about 'clubbing' and 'London' is pretty huge as a city and options for living.

What I was wondering about was whether anyone else had faced a similar decision on where to choose to live, where wouldn’t be too expensive, what to advise them really?

I would work backwards. If your place of work is Vauxhall; pick a direction and keep going outwards till you hit your budget. I would also pick a location based on transport options. Commuting isn't fun and its an expensive option but if that was my choice then I would choose the most convenient route. When I moved house my partner wanted somewhere within walking distance from the station and on the main route into town. Commuting is also costly. Ticket prices are coming out your wages and you need to decide if commuting is financially viable. You get the wage uplift for working in town but then a season ticket will drag you back to earth quite quick; hence working backwards. Is there something within the zone you can afford and save on the commuting price or is the uplift in rent/house prices worth it ?

Are you renting or buying ? That would really change the advice given.

I have family who rent and live pretty central. Having the ability to rent gives you more options and flexibility to plan for the future should your job options change. She would not change where she lives for a second. Living in 'London' has its benefits. I'm a Londoner at heart and having everything on your doorstep is very convenient. I remember moving out and discovering the 'half day on Wednesday' culture and needing to drive to the nearest 'corner shop' I'm not sure I could go back but the City Boy in me often cries out and laments leaving. I'm still a Burb and not sure I could go all the way Bumpkin but age dictates unfortunately.

simonw

Hi everyone.

Our youngest daughter’s partner has just moved over from Canada and it’s looking like he’s been offered a job in London. The office is quite near Vauxhall station.

Neither of them are particularly city type people and they’re very unlikely to want to go out clubbing in London at the weekends etc, also our daughter has a car, so if they want to come back to Exeter for a weekend that would be quite useful.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Where does your daughter work? This must also be factored in, surely?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I would work backwards. If your place of work is Vauxhall; pick a direction and keep going outwards till you hit your budget. I would also pick a location based on transport options. Commuting isn't fun and its an expensive option but if that was my choice then I would choose the most convenient route. When I moved house my partner wanted somewhere within walking distance from the station and on the main route into town. Commuting is also costly. Ticket prices are coming out your wages and you need to decide if commuting is financially viable.
@Cowley I agree with the above advice I've marked in bold.

I worked in central London locations 1994-2012; and I lived in Central London for 12 of those 18 years.

Jamiescott1

My door to door daily commute is 95 minutes each way. That involves 30 minutes cycling. I wouldn't want to go above that.

Id look at nearest stations to vauxhall and see where they go to, you want to try and minimise changes as that increases chance of delay.
Spend your weekends visiting potential villages and towns.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the replies everyone. There’s some really useful stuff in there. Rather than try and reply to each one individually I noticed a few questions that are probably worth answering.

They would be renting yes.

Our daughter may potentially work for the same company but part time and probably from home, whereas he’ll be in the office four days a week doing 9-5.

Not too worried about the type of property, a flat would be fine.

I’ll send them the link to this thread and see if there’s anything else I’ve forgotten. :)

Gloster

Established Member
It is a long time since I commuted to any greater extent than staggering out of the bedroom to my desk via the kettle, but a few comments. I would underline that it is best to keep the journey as simple as possible: from Vauxhall you do have access to a lot of the south-western suburbs of the smoke. Take into account the possible need to work late and, more awkwardly, any early or Sunday starts. I would also agree with going for the best option your budget can afford. Frankly, unless you are going to spend a lot of time living the high-life in London, which might be a requirement for work, you probably want to be well away from it when not working: you are still likely to be near enough for trips that you really want to make to not be too onerous.

urbophile

Established Member
Depending on budget – and anywhere in the south-east is going to be a challenge for someone on an average income – there are some very pleasant suburbs in SW London that combine the convenience of being near the big city with the homely and relaxing feel of a small town. Pricey of course, but some people manage it!

E27007

Depending on budget – and anywhere in the south-east is going to be a challenge for someone on an average income – there are some very pleasant suburbs in SW London that combine the convenience of being near the big city with the homely and relaxing feel of a small town. Pricey of course, but some people manage it!
Yes budget budget budget!
No mention of their incomes solo or joint and their rental budget and savings to fund a deposit.
Competition for rented property is high, a landlord friend receives offers from potential tenants of a year of rent paid in advance over and above the deposit. Landlord friend tells me he charges a high rent to new and unknown tenants in case they are problem tenants, then allows the rent to slide downwards on renewal if they are satisfactory, he tends to charge below the market rate for his properties ( he has a social conscience and a strong degree of sympathy for his tenants). Funding of a deposit, credit references from agencies and personal references are all important factors, there may even be a need to prove residential status if from abroad.

Magdalia

Established Member
I worked in London for 30 years, including lots of the time not far from Vauxhall. It is a long time ago now, the details have changed, but the principles are still the same.

The question in the title is misleading, living in London still involves commuting, unless it is possible to live very close to work, and I suspect that's not an option here.

from Vauxhall you do have access to a lot of the south-western suburbs of the smoke.

By changing at Clapham Junction, lots of other parts of South London are accessible too. There is also the option of the southern end of the Northern Line.

For the first few years of my career that's what I did, living in various of the less desirable parts of South London, because that's what I could afford. Some of the places I lived are much more desirable now.

As soon as I got my first promotion I moved out of London. Commuting was more onerous in terms of distance and cost, but the difference in journey times wasn't that great.

Generally wouldn't recommend commuting much over 60-70 minutes, if doing daily, starts to get very tiring, especially if it goes above about 90 minutes. (and if daily becomes 15% of waking hours)

My door to door daily commute is 95 minutes each way. That involves 30 minutes cycling. I wouldn't want to go above that.
I did a 90 minute commute for more than 20 years, which included a long train journey where I could read or sleep. This was before the days of smartphones and tablets, which occupy the time for most commuters these days. In that sense, commuting time is not so much "dead time" as it used to be.

What's not good about long distance commuting is the disruptions. Here it helps to have alternative routes, and to be able to walk to/from the end stations and the office/home.

I would work backwards. If your place of work is Vauxhall; pick a direction and keep going outwards till you hit your budget.

Yes budget budget budget!
No mention of their incomes solo or joint and their rental budget and savings to fund a deposit.
In the end it comes down to this. The housing market is very efficient at pricing in the desirability of locations for commuting. Where to live then becomes a trade off between cost versus time, convenience and resilience.

our daughter has a car, so if they want to come back to Exeter for a weekend that would be quite useful.
Links with home are important. I much preferred it when I moved out to the north side of London, nearer to the Fens, even though getting across London for commuting was a pain. That isn't a problem here because Exeter is in the south west and Vauxhall is on the south west side of central London, there should be some "sweet spot" somewhere in between. The issue would be whether it would be affordable to keep the car, especially bearing in mind that it needs a parking space.

DC1989

If they want to have a car then they might need to live in one of the outer boroughs where parking in more plentiful. Croydon, Surbiton, Bromley. I'm assuming as a couple they don't want to house share so they should be able to find a decent 1 bed flat probably with parking nearby a station for the commute. All less than 30 mins on the train to Vauxhall

Snow1964

Established Member
If they want to have a car then they might need to live in one of the outer boroughs where parking in more plentiful. Croydon, Surbiton, Bromley. I'm assuming as a couple they don't want to house share so they should be able to find a decent 1 bed flat probably with parking nearby a station for the commute. All less than 30 mins on the train to Vauxhall
If making frequent trips to Exeter, would go with Surbiton or Teddington etc. Easy by train to Vauxhall (zone 2-6), easy to reach M3 & A303. New Malden is easy to park (free) fairly near station and only zone 4 so cheaper commute.

Highview

I moved to Surbiton as my office was walkable from Waterloo and laterly Vauxhall, thirty years on and I'm still living here (now mostly retired). I still think it was and is the right choice of location!

telstarbox

Established Member
Parking is generally easy in London suburbs because not everyone has a car. Most areas near stations will be resident permit only which might cost £30-60 a year.

E27007

Parking is generally easy in London suburbs because not everyone has a car. Most areas near stations will be resident permit only which might cost £30-60 a year.
Many London Councils are introducing CPZ (controlled Parking Zones) for on-street parking, for my Council, ,the charges for an annual permit started as a modest £144 a year on introduction, then for the second year they sky-rocketed the charge to £225. For the third year £247. There is no control over the level of charge, the Councils do as they please.

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I’m perhaps not best placed to comment as a dedicated city dweller but there are some more rural and quieter parts of London that are quite gentle for those within budget. Anywhere on the District Line west of Earls Court, for example, are all quite villagey. Even more extreme, areas like Telegraph Hill, Castelnau and the outer reaches of Fulham are basically like the island from the Wicker Man with added Ocado vans if that suits. But well aware that there may well be budgetary considerations etc

Gloster

Established Member
I’m perhaps not best placed to comment as a dedicated city dweller but there are some more rural and quieter parts of London that are quite gentle for those within budget. Anywhere on the District Line west of Earls Court, for example, are all quite villagey. Even more extreme, areas like Telegraph Hill, Castelnau and the outer reaches of Fulham are basically like the island from the Wicker Man with added Ocado vans if that suits. But well aware that there may well be budgetary considerations etc

What do you mean? Do they burn incomers in massive straw figures while they dance around singing ‘The Lambeth Walk’?

telstarbox

Established Member
Many London Councils are introducing CPZ (controlled Parking Zones) for on-street parking, for my Council, ,the charges for an annual permit started as a modest £144 a year on introduction, then for the second year they sky-rocketed the charge to £225. For the third year £247. There is no control over the level of charge, the Councils do as they please.
Which council is that please?

Ant1966

If they arent too fussed about living in London you could look at places down the SWML. Time wise Woking, Basingstoke, Farnborough, Guildford etc. wouldnt take much longer to Vauxhall than many places toward the ends of the SW suburban network or the Northern line. Would cost more to travel but cheaper rent so probably about cost neutral, not sure?
Obviously not a patch on London culture wise, but not the cultural deserts that some would have you believe
Basingstoke, for example, my home town, has 2 theatres, 2 decent swimming pools, 2 cinemas, an ice rink, some good independant restaurants and an excellent shopping centres as well as superb countryside on your doorstep. Pubs and live sport are probably the biggest let downs vs bigger / more historical places (we often go to Winchester for the pubs). Anyway, its only an hour away from Waterloo for leisure trips (which would be free with your ST!). Basingstoke also an hour closer to Exeter for road trips!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
@Cowley - pretty much all of south London is within range as in addition to the SWR suburban network and Southern suburban network (change at Clapham Junction), any train into Charing X is a quick change at Waterloo East for a very frequent 4 minute hop to Vauxhall. Also a decent chunk of North London too, from the Victoria line and very simple cross platform interchanges with the Northern, Bakerloo, Picadiily and GN Northern City, or slightly more involved interchanges at Walthamstow, Tottenham Hale, Seven Sisters, Blackhorse Rd, Kings X / St P and Euston. Just as one example, Ally Pally to Vauxhall is under half an hour.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Cowley - pretty much all of south London is within range as in addition to the SWR suburban network and Southern suburban network (change at Clapham Junction), any train into Charing X is a quick change at Waterloo East for a very frequent 4 minute hop to Vauxhall. Also a decent chunk of North London too, from the Victoria line and very simple cross platform interchanges with the Northern, Bakerloo, Picadiily and GN Northern City, or slightly more involved interchanges at Walthamstow, Tottenham Hale, Seven Sisters, Blackhorse Rd, Kings X / St P and Euston. Just as one example, Ally Pally to Vauxhall is under half an hour.

Yes thanks on their behalf to you and everyone else that’s posted useful information on here. I’ve been really busy this last couple of weeks hence me just letting it run, but they have been reading it and it’s given them plenty of ideas.

I think on Monday we should know a bit more as he’s got a second meeting with the team he’ll be working with. Once that’s happened we should know about wages/hours etc and hopefully we’ll be able to whittle down some of the options.

Maybe for now though I’ll temporarily lock this and come back to it in a few days, with a thank you again to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.