• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A trainee drivers journey through training with GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewDriver2017

Hi all.

I found out a couple of days ago that I passed my medical, and I'm going to be on the next intake for GN trainee train driver.

Just come across this page and it's been more then helpful. Someone mentioned though that they think the training is going to be changing for the next course. Is it going to be much different to what has already been mentioned?
Yeah mate I am on what is literally the last course following the format for the old training scheme. You will be on the DLP programme.
You'll be out driving much quicker than I was but you'll be expected to learn rules and regs almost entirely on your own, which I don't envy you for. Ive got mates on TL doing the DLP and their rules knowledge is shocking.
Regardless, well done and maybe I'll run in to you at some point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

purplejonesy

Yeah mate I am on what is literally the last course following the format for the old training scheme. You will be on the DLP programme.
You'll be out driving much quicker than I was but you'll be expected to learn rules and regs almost entirely on your own, which I don't envy you for. Ive got mates on TL doing the DLP and their rules knowledge is shocking.
Regardless, well done and maybe I'll run in to you at some point.

Thank you.

Forgive my naivety, but I'm going in from a completely non train background, DLP? Lol. I have no idea what that is.

On my medical I heard some guys talking about being issued ipads, is that something that's given as a learning aid?

NewDriver2017

DLP is the new training scheme, I believe it's Direct Learning Programme. Essentially the idea is you are given a series of workbooks and sent out on the network to teach yourself. You're assigned a Driver Instructor (DI) very early on and learn by doing essentially. Whereas I did 14 weeks of classroom work and exams before i touched a train.
As for IPads yes that's correct but if you can get one to work properly you'll be taken off driving and given the Head of IT role for GTR lol.

purplejonesy

DLP is the new training scheme, I believe it's Direct Learning Programme. Essentially the idea is you are given a series of workbooks and sent out on the network to teach yourself. You're assigned a Driver Instructor (DI) very early on and learn by doing essentially. Whereas I did 14 weeks of classroom work and exams before i touched a train.
As for IPads yes that's correct but if you can get one to work properly you'll be taken off driving and given the Head of IT role for GTR lol.

Ha ha. Another case of when technology prevails :P.
Sounds like I'm in for a bit of a rough ride then lol.

NewDriver2017

Ha ha. Another case of when technology prevails :P.
Sounds like I'm in for a bit of a rough ride then lol.
DLP started literally 6 months ago as a pilot scheme so they're still ironing out the creases. Seems to be getting better though. My onky advice, from personal experience, is be prepared to be putting in roughly 2 hours a night at home to cement your rules knowledge, maybe more in your case as you're not being talked through it by an instructor. Good luck

purplejonesy

DLP started literally 6 months ago as a pilot scheme so they're still ironing out the creases. Seems to be getting better though. My onky advice, from personal experience, is be prepared to be putting in roughly 2 hours a night at home to cement your rules knowledge, maybe more in your case as you're not being talked through it by an instructor. Good luck

Thanks man.

Sirgerbil

So there is minimal classroom for this DLP and you are expected to learn rules yourself? Wow! That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I appreciate there is a lot of self work you have to put in even when having classroom based material but total self learning just sounds daft!

NewDriver2017

So there is minimal classroom for this DLP and you are expected to learn rules yourself? Wow! That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I appreciate there is a lot of self work you have to put in even when having classroom based material but total self learning just sounds daft!
Exactly my argument. They get PTS trained, given 10 days in the classroom to cover basics and then sent out with DIs, and sometimes alone, to fill out work books and teach themselves rules. Then they do practical handling for 6 months to get their hours and are then pulled back into classroom to sit rules exams, so if they haven't been keeping themselves up to date in their own time they walk into a rules exam absolutely clueless. A friend of mine is at around 180 hours now on DLP and didn't know the first thing about T3 possessions or single line working and he's sitting a rules exam in 4 weeks. I dont blame him as he just never saw or heard of it during his time out there. I think its areas like this where the DLP programme will fall down.

Sirgerbil

Exactly my argument. They get PTS trained, given 10 days in the classroom to cover basics and then sent out with DIs, and sometimes alone, to fill out work books and teach themselves rules. Then they do practical handling for 6 months to get their hours and are then pulled back into classroom to sit rules exams, so if they haven't been keeping themselves up to date in their own time they walk into a rules exam absolutely clueless. A friend of mine is at around 180 hours now on DLP and didn't know the first thing about T3 possessions or single line working and he's sitting a rules exam in 4 weeks. I dont blame him as he just never saw or heard of it during his time out there. I think its areas like this where the DLP programme will fall down.

I feel for your friend, I cannot thank my instructor enough for helping me with my rules. Rules can be a very confusing time where you can end up melding rules together and getting yourself in a complete mess. Without someone to help, guide and correct you it must be awful.

I'm only in my handling hours myself, but I would not want to be out there without a solid foundation of rules and traction.

NewDriver2017

I feel for your friend, I cannot thank my instructor enough for helping me with my rules. Rules can be a very confusing time where you can end up melding rules together and getting yourself in a complete mess. Without someone to help, guide and correct you it must be awful.

I'm only in my handling hours myself, but I would not want to be out there without a solid foundation of rules and traction.
Are you TL or GN?

bILLOO

Such a great thread. I am thoroughly enjoying reading about your progress!

Last edited:

Economist

I do wonder what the incentive was for this new method of learning, since the classroom method seems to work fine for a lot of people. Some invariably fail though I think the failure rate would be much higher than is the case currently if people had to learn everything by themselves.

Historically, people were encouraged not to try and teach themselves the rules and instead follow the trainer/assessors. People who did try and learn everything themselves usually ended up in a mess.

I've been in the cab for five months now and there are vast swathes lf the Rulebook which I haven't seen in action since a lot of things in the Rulebook cover situations where things have taken an unexpected turn.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I don't think I would like DLP. I like learning from others and with others.

There have been a few times when I've thought I've understood something only to find out my classmates have understood it differently. Leading to valuable learning discussions which strengthen correct understanding.

I also think it's nicer if the trainers get to know you as people. They can then help identify your particular areas of weakness and adjust teaching to accommodate that.

Hi all. I am currently on week 6 of the DLP course for TL and it is definitely not a case of here's some task books and get on with it! We have had a handful of days out on our own (with specific tasks to complete) but mainly been with a trainer manager doing the practical and the rules combined. I'm finding the style very good and not quite as intense as 3 months purely in a classroom would be. We won't be getting a DI any quicker than anyone else that are waiting and will be front ending like the rest though. Also been told that new starters revert back to old style as DLP is only a trial.

purplejonesy

Hi all. I am currently on week 6 of the DLP course for TL and it is definitely not a case of here's some task books and get on with it! We have had a handful of days out on our own (with specific tasks to complete) but mainly been with a trainer manager doing the practical and the rules combined. I'm finding the style very good and not quite as intense as 3 months purely in a classroom would be. We won't be getting a DI any quicker than anyone else that are waiting and will be front ending like the rest though. Also been told that new starters revert back to old style as DLP is only a trial.

That's very comforting news, but do you know if this is only for TL, or will it also be for GN as Well?

A GN group started same day as my TL group and their timetable is almost identical to ours except a bit extra traction for the other units they will be driving.

bILLOO

Do/will all GN depots learn/sign the 700s along with 365s, 387s and 313s too? Or do some only sign some of the traction?

Last edited:

choochoochoo

Established Member
Do/will all GN depots learn/sign the 700s along with 365s, 387s and 313s too? Or do some only sign some of the traction?

No. Core traction for trainees is 313/365/387

I understand some qualified are being trained on 700s

Think it's not yet certain who and who is not going to be trained on 700/717s. A lot depends on what happens with the new depots

bILLOO

I grew up with the 313s so I’m pretty happy we’ll be trained on them, despite their days being numbered now.

NewDriver2017

newdriver2017= hows the course going? off for xmas soon!?
Hi bud. So yeah I haven' updated this for a while now. I think when I last updated I was sitting my classroom hours for core traction. This was a really interesting part of the course for me being as I'm an ex fitter. Took 4 weeks, sat a 90 odd question final traction paper and then did a 2 hour practical assessment on a 313 unit. Mainly doing fault finding and preparation. Then..... finally..... after 6 months of classroom and simulator work..... they let me drive a train on a mainline. It was mint. Haven't had as big a smile on my face since I was back in Afghan calling in air strikes. It was only ECS movements but it was the culmination of months of hard work and it was awesome. Then, the week after we moved on to class 365 units and I instantly fell out of love with 313s and became very accustomed to the speed and comfort of the more modern units. After core traction, training moves into conversion type training so it's short and sweet. Class 365 was 2 days classroom, 1 day written paper, one day practical assessment and then out driving but this time in passenger service. Again, I was so excited throughout. This week we've moved on to class 387, which again is a huge technological upgrade. Classroom again tomorrow, written test Thursday, practical Friday, then out driving next week. We've also got a short 2 day course on the NCL route towards the end of next week.
As for Xmas, we're in until the 19th and then we're off until the 2nd. When we get back we've got a 10 day course on the principles of route learning up at Blackfriars. After that we're done then we're out doing our driving hours with our DI. Fingers crossed, roughly 4 months later I'll be sitting my Part C and joining the driving ranks.

djsmith200

hahaha brilliant. loved reading that, nicely put! glad its all going well for you. i start in the new year so thanks for the updates!! good luck and enjoy it!!!

NewDriver2017

So today was my last day of traction. Now finished all core classes of 313s, 365s and 387s. Front ends for 2 days, then back in for 2 days to cover NCL and then I'm off for Xmas. 10 days of route learning principles upon our return in January and that's training complete. Rack up 250 driving hours with my DI and hopefully I'll be ready to sit my Part C. I'll make a final update to this thread once I've completed the route course to give you guys a heads up. Until then, good luck to all you new starters, and to everyone following this Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.