• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for Thameslink potential prosecution please!

helpneeded

Hi all,

I may be asking a little early but my anxiety is eating me alive.

5 days ago I stupidly got on the train with a family members staff pass instead of having a ticket. I know now how stupid it was and honestly didn’t know the seriousness it could amount to.

I was questioned on it by a ticket inspector and panicked and gave their name and address instead of my own. I was honestly so scared and didn’t know what to do so kept it up for a while before confessing and apologising and giving all my real details.

They confiscated the pass and said the owner would get a letter to see if they knew I was trying to use it.

He made a report and sent to the prosecutions team and gave me the receipt for that.
It’s honestly the first time I’ve done anything like this. I hardly even take the train (I think it’s been about a few years) I only really use tube, bus etc which I have proof I always pay for.

I am genuinely so ashamed and suffer with anxiety (which I take medicine for) which has now skyrocketed and I am seriously struggling to eat or sleep.

The inspector said I should expect a letter within a week and I should respond within 21 days - from looking online this looks to be correct for a penalty fare, no unsure if he gave me the correct info?
He said if it doesn’t come within a week I can email the prosecutions team but don’t email beforehand.

I know I still have a few days on that week, but I was wondering if anyone knows how long they tend to take to send out letters like this? And if I don’t receive one in the next few days should I email?

I’m also considering hiring a solicitor, do I need to wait for the letter or can I contact them for help before it arrives / before potentially emailing the prosecutions team?
I know it will be an additional cost (unsure how much they tend to charge) but I’m honestly struggling to breathe and my heart rate is at a constant racing and I just want this all over as soon as possible and outside of court.
I accept my fault and am so apologetic and just need this done as my mental health is really really struggling and I don’t know how much longer I can handle feeling this way.

Appreciate any help,

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Hi all,

I may be asking a little early but my anxiety is eating me alive.

5 days ago I stupidly got on the train with a family members staff pass instead of having a ticket. I know now how stupid it was and honestly didn’t know the seriousness it could amount to.

I was questioned on it by a ticket inspector and panicked and gave their name and address instead of my own. I was honestly so scared and didn’t know what to do so kept it up for a while before confessing and apologising and giving all my real details.

They confiscated the pass and said the owner would get a letter to see if they knew I was trying to use it.

He made a report and sent to the prosecutions team and gave me the receipt for that.
It’s honestly the first time I’ve done anything like this. I hardly even take the train (I think it’s been about a few years) I only really use tube, bus etc which I have proof I always pay for.

I am genuinely so ashamed and suffer with anxiety (which I take medicine for) which has now skyrocketed and I am seriously struggling to eat or sleep.

The inspector said I should expect a letter within a week and I should respond within 21 days - from looking online this looks to be correct for a penalty fare, no unsure if he gave me the correct info?
He said if it doesn’t come within a week I can email the prosecutions team but don’t email beforehand.

I know I still have a few days on that week, but I was wondering if anyone knows how long they tend to take to send out letters like this? And if I don’t receive one in the next few days should I email?

I’m also considering hiring a solicitor, do I need to wait for the letter or can I contact them for help before it arrives / before potentially emailing the prosecutions team?
I know it will be an additional cost (unsure how much they tend to charge) but I’m honestly struggling to breathe and my heart rate is at a constant racing and I just want this all over as soon as possible and outside of court.
I accept my fault and am so apologetic and just need this done as my mental health is really really struggling and I don’t know how much longer I can handle feeling this way.

Appreciate any help,

Thank you
Welcome to the forum!

The inspector's advice to wait a while for the letter to come through is good. What can you do in the meantime that may help you feel more in control? I'd suggest
- let your family member know that you were caught using their pass. It's not impossible that their employer will want to take it up with them, so it's only fair that they should know there could be an issue.
- make a note of exactly what happened. That way, you know that if you need to look at it again you don't need to rely on your memory
- start putting money aside to pay the train fare that you didn't pay, and anything else that you will be charged on top (there will certainly be costs that the railway have incurred and if it goes to court there could be a fine as well).

Lastly, try not to worry too much: even if this goes to court, you will not go to prison: the punishment will be a fine. And while it may be embarrassing to have to tell an employer about a prosecution (if there is a prosecution) we find that most employers recognise that people make mistakes from time to time: as long as you aren't hiding the mistake you are unlikley to lose your job.

helpneeded

Welcome to the forum!

The inspector's advice to wait a while for the letter to come through is good. What can you do in the meantime that may help you feel more in control? I'd suggest
- let your family member know that you were caught using their pass. It's not impossible that their employer will want to take it up with them, so it's only fair that they should know there could be an issue.
- make a note of exactly what happened. That way, you know that if you need to look at it again you don't need to rely on your memory
- start putting money aside to pay the train fare that you didn't pay, and anything else that you will be charged on top (there will certainly be costs that the railway have incurred and if it goes to court there could be a fine as well).

Lastly, try not to worry too much: even if this goes to court, you will not go to prison: the punishment will be a fine. And while it may be embarrassing to have to tell an employer about a prosecution (if there is a prosecution) we find that most employers recognise that people make mistakes from time to time: as long as you aren't hiding the mistake you are unlikley to lose your job.
Thank you so much for your response.

Do you have any idea of how long these letters typically take to come?
And would it be advisable to speak to a solicitor before receiving the letter to hopefully speed up the process?

My family member is now aware and is waiting to be contacted too.

How likely is thameslink to settle out of court considering there would be the fare evasion issue plus the fact that I lied about my details at first?

Thank you so much for any help

Haywain

Veteran Member
There seems little point in engaging a solicitor at this point as you have no idea how the train company will approach this. Just wait to see what the letter says. Your family member may find that they lose their travel facilities for a year or two as a result of this, as misuse of travel facilities is seen in a very, very dim light. It would help to know which company it was that stopped you and if that is not the same company that your family member works for, which company that is as well.

helpneeded

There seems little point in engaging a solicitor at this point as you have no idea how the train company will approach this. Just wait to see what the letter says. Your family member may find that they lose their travel facilities for a year or two as a result of this, as misuse of travel facilities is seen in a very, very dim light. It would help to know which company it was that stopped you and if that is not the same company that your family member works for, which company that is as well.
Thank you for your response!

Is there a chance the letter will immediately offer to settle out of court or will it definitely ask for more info?

And do they ever immediately try to take something to court with the initial letter or will they always ask for my response first?

This was with Govia Thameslink that stopped me.

Thank you

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Which company was this? (If you don't know, what train journey were you on?)

One problem you will have is that, although you have said it was the first time, you'd have to be fairly unlucky to be caught first time, so the working assumption by the investigators will be that you have done this before. Thus there may well be some analysis of the staff pass in question to determine whether any other journeys appear as though they were not taken by the owner of the pass.

To pick up on @Fawkes Cat 's point, your family member could be in trouble too, particularly if they knowingly gave you the pass. If they have union representation then it may be wise for them to have an initial discussion with the union, before they get any contact from the employer.

Finally, and pre-empting the letter I think you are highly likely to have to write at some stage, I would not labour on your anxiety as a mitigation. We see it cited quite frequently, and so I'm sure investigators do too. They may well take the view that fare dodging is an unwise practice for someone suffering from clinical anxiety, as both the act itself, and the consequences when caught, are themselves somewhat detrimental to anyone's level of anxiety.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

This a serious situaton because it involves a member of staff who is likely to be drawn into the investigation, and they could face disciplinary action themselves. I agree that it would be wise for the member of staff to speak to their union representative at the earliest opportunity.

You are also likely to be written to by GTR for not holding a valid ticket for your journey. When the letter arrives post a copy of it in this thread, with personal details redacted, and forum members will offer advice on how to proceed.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Any letters received or update on this?
Please start a new thread if you are in need of advice. We have a rule of only discussing one case in each thread to avoid confusion because experience has taught us that no two cases are every the same, however similar the night appear at first.