• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for travelling on IETs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ant1966

Personally; I find them very uncomfortable. They do vary, but in most cases I feel like Im sitting on a metal bar. But I guess seat comfort varies from person to perosn, we are all different shapes and sizes! No real suggestions to help, sorry!

Ridercross

I hate the standard class ones, they are indeed too hard for a lengthy journey. First Class seats are far more comfortable, so if your budget allows check for First Class advances and split ticket too if possible.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How uncomfortable are the seats on GWR's IETs, and what could I do to make a journey on one bearable?
There are some people who don't like the seats, and indeed some people who find them uncomfortable, but there are equally people who tolerate them and travel happily every day.

Some of what is said about seats is hyperbole, and you might well have a perfectly bearable journey on them.

Anyone who finds seats uncomfortable can take a cushion with them, roll a coat up and put it against the small of the back, and sit up properly. To some extent it is about what level of comfort they find best.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
I find the seats on GWR’s IETs uncomfortable, and many seat cushions have sagged, so you can feel a metal bar underneath, making them feel more uncomfortable.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Personally, whilst I certainly don't think they're comfy by any stretch of the imagination, I don't find them as horrific as lots of people make out. I've done Darlington to Kings Cross and Paddington to Plymouth in Standard and it was fine. Not great, not terrible. Disappointing more than anything. Especially when compared to long distance premier express trains in other countries.

DelW

Established Member
Take your own cushion?

Most of the ones I've been on weren't too bad, but on one trip it felt as though I was sitting on a transverse scaffold tube. Unfortunately the train was full so it was that or standing. I changed onto a Turbo at Reading and it felt like luxury by comparison.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I travelled standard class from Paddington to Plymouth on a GWR IET a couple of weeks ago.

The seats themselves are not too uncomfortable, and leg room is excellent. The seat cushions have started to collapse which means you can feel the frame of the seat underneath, especially the bar that goes across the middle of the seat.

stuu

Established Member
I travel on them several times a month to London, I have only ever once had a seat where I could feel the bar under the seat base. They really aren't that bad. A little too upright, but the legroom is excellent. Take your own refreshments though as the trolley is frequently non-existent