• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amtrak route guides and system guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi all - does anyone know if Amtrak still publish the route guides that I recall they once did (leaflet type thing telling you what you could see through the window on a route by route basis - tho possibly not for all routes)?

It would be one for the north east corridor Washington to New York and Boston route that I would be interested in.

I can't find them on their website.

Also - do they still publish the 'system guide' which was a magazine style booklet for the whole system with info and timetables for all routes

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member

WesternLancer

Established Member
I think those guides ceased to exist three or four years back. Not much has changed along the routes archived copies are mostly relevant.

Archive of Route Guides: https://juckins.net/amtrak_routes/amtrak_route_guides.php
Archive of System Timetables (includes some current route timetables): https://juckins.net/amtrak_timetables/archive/home.php

Current timetable summaries per route are available via http://dixielandsoftware.net/Amtrak/status/StatusPages/SchedulesSummary.html
Thanks - v helpful links - much appreciated! Shame the guides no longer produced but your link(s) takes me to just what I was looking for.

67thave

Amtrak no longer publishes route guides or route timetables in print or PDF format as part of an attempt to save money.
Printed publication of these ceased sometime around 2018, which was shortly after Amtrak issued its final system timetable in print form (which was in the spring of 2016 - I have a copy of it).

WesternLancer

Established Member
Amtrak no longer publishes route guides or route timetables in print or PDF format as part of an attempt to save money.
Printed publication of these ceased sometime around 2018, which was shortly after Amtrak issued its final system timetable in print form (which was in the spring of 2016 - I have a copy of it).
Thanks for this further update. Helpful to read if of course bad news.

nlogax

Established Member
Thanks - v helpful links - much appreciated! Shame the guides no longer produced but your link(s) takes me to just what I was looking for.

Looking back through the Sunset Limited pdf it's reminded me that I never got to experience the full service to NO and Florida. Hope it gets reinstated one day.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking back through the Sunset Limited pdf it's reminded me that I never got to experience the full service to NO and Florida. Hope it gets reinstated one day.
I believe Amtrak are currently having a punch up with CSX and Norfolk Southern over access rights on the Gulf Coast which is being arbitrated by the Surface Transportation Board. There appears to be some information in this article suggesting it is still ongoing (apparently another hearing coming up this Monday!):

Gulf Coast Battle, Rounds 7-8​

The slugfest between Amtrak on one side and CSX, NS, and the Port of Mobile on the other, has been long. It has lasted for ten full days plus an afternoon so far, and reached its originally scheduled conclusion on Thursday, May 11. That was the half-day, following the morning appearance of Chair Martin J. Oberman and other members of the Surface Transportation Board (STB) before the House Transportation & Infrastructure (T&I) Committee.

In all likelihood, it was the longest hearing (actually a trial conducted as a litigation) in the Board’s history, and it was definitely a seminal case of first impression. As we know now, it’s not over yet. Oberman has called the parties back for an encore performance on Monday, June 13 to fill factual gaps in the record, which the Board needs to make the sort of decision that will set policy and precedent for the future, as Amtrak or states seek to establish new or restored passenger train routes. CSX, NS, and the Port have again requested mediation and Amtrak opposes that request, so it is not known if the trial’s continuation will be postponed.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Indeed. Good point. One might have thought Joe Biden ("Amtrak Joe") might be the guy to get that done. I suspect he has much on his plate...

nlogax

Established Member
I believe Amtrak are currently having a punch up with CSX and Norfolk Southern over access rights on the Gulf Coast which is being arbitrated by the Surface Transportation Board. There appears to be some information in this article suggesting it is still ongoing (apparently another hearing coming up this Monday!):

Oh timely info, thank you! Last I heard an Amtrak inspection car was sent along the track sometime pre-Covid. Glad to hear the discussions are at least ongoing.
Indeed. Good point. One might have thought Joe Biden ("Amtrak Joe") might be the guy to get that done. I suspect he has much on his plate...

You'd hope that Biden being in charge would mean no federal obstacles to the service returning. It's those damned freight lines again...

Status
Not open for further replies.