• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Greater Anglia starting a new type of campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP33

Tonight, entering the 1st class compartment at Liverpool St. There was a leaflet on every other seat, stating if you are not meant to be here we are coming to get you.

I have never noticed that great a problem in peak hours, other times may be different however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I have to say that most of the time people upgrade themselves when they feel there's little chance of being caught, say evenings and weekends. Sometimes that also includes busy trains where they figure nobody can get through - but have perhaps discovered that RPIs will board at the doors nearest FC.

Realfish

...if you are not meant to be here we are coming to get you...

Wasn't that the same as the recent Advan message that got the Government in trouble, when their target was illegal immigrants?

Interesting though, I was thinking about my last journey from Lichfield TV to Chelmsford and back. Virgin would be quite happy for me to plonk myself in First and pay an upgrade to the TM (as I have done from time to time during the working week, either for myself or colleagues); GA, it seems would take action against me.

I know that it's not the same, because of the DOO dimension on part of GA's, network, but perhaps all DOO services should be one class? (which would alleviate the problem some contributors have reported here; passengers needing to know the origin of service in order to judge whether the stock is declassified or not)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Needing to know what type of service your train is running before plonking down in First Class is a big problem. You only need to look at Southern, who gladly announce First Class is declassified on "metro" services; given the Milton Keynes-Croydon is a "metro" service, that is almost meaningless.

Although I've thought, for a long time, that First Class on London commuter trains are a pointless irrelevance anyway.

I guess they need to do something to try and highlight that First Class is not for people who don't want to stand, it is for people who've bought a ticket for the compartment and paid handsomely for it. I can only hope First Capital Connect do the same thing on Thameslink.

Unless you saw the leaflets on the Anglia expresses?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think for a commuter train, FC is purely for the extra chance of getting a seat at peak times. For that to work, there needs to be some level of enforcement to stop people just upgrading themselves. It IS different to Intercity because you can't upgrade - although one day that might be possible by having a way to tap in with your smartcard and be charged a flat-rate fee. For enforcement, you go for those who didn't and make sure the pad won't accept tap-ins once an RPI has boarded!

I disagree that FC should be axed, although I do get the argument, simply because people buying a FC ticket (however that's funded, by themselves or expenses - who cares!) pay a LOT more and that can subsidise standard tickets to a degree.

As we get newer rolling stock, I'm sure the first class offering will improve with nicer seats, a bigger table and free Wi-Fi etc - but still lacking a trolley service or buffet. Of course, standard class will also improve considerably too.

Perhaps FC on a suburban commuter service will one day be an ordinary standard class layout (thus fitting in more people) but be sold at a premium purely to get that seat?

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
I think for a commuter train, FC is purely for the extra chance of getting a seat at peak times. For that to work, there needs to be some level of enforcement to stop people just upgrading themselves. It IS different to Intercity because you can't upgrade - although one day that might be possible by having a way to tap in with your smartcard and be charged a flat-rate fee. For enforcement, you go for those who didn't and make sure the pad won't accept tap-ins once an RPI has boarded!

So what would someone wanting to upgrade to first do if they got on at the same place as the RPIs?

jon0844

Veteran Member
So what would someone wanting to upgrade to first do if they got on at the same place as the RPIs?

As I'd see it, an RPI would be able to lock out the 'upgrade to FC' pad and anyone boarding would have to not go in. That could be locked out a minute or two after an RPI boarded (and it would presumably take that long anyway).

How said pad would be locked out I don't know. Via an on-board Wi-Fi network?

This is all theoretical as smartcards aren't yet in use or set up like this.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But on some (Southern at least) you might get a free cup of tea or coffee when there's a trolley.

34D

Established Member
One size doesn't fit all. You have to have different rules for 5000 people boarding at Tottenham Hale after a football match as you do for 2 grannies boarding at Lockwood.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I can see why you might declassify first when there's football. Ultimately the fans will sit there anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.