• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF Avanti strike July 2nd and LNER Overtime ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Delete if elsewhere but Avanti and ASLEF have tweeted about a strike on July 2nd.
ASLEF, the train drivers' union, has announced strike action on Avanti West Coast services on Sunday 2 July. We are looking at how this will impact this date's service and the days either side, and we’ll have more information for you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

footprints

Industrial action short of a strike announced on LNER too, where ASLEF drivers will refuse to work overtime from 1 July.
ASLEF, the train drivers' union, has announced that its members at Avanti West Coast will walk out for one day, while members at London North Eastern Railway will withdraw overtime.

This action is separate from the union's ongoing national dispute over pay.

The dispute with Avanti West Coast is regarding changes to sick pay which the company is attempting to force through without agreement. ASLEF members working at the company will be taking strike action from 00:01 - 23:59 on Sunday 2nd July.

In a separate dispute with London North Eastern Railway over the company's failure to adhere to agreed procedures, members will refuse to work non-contractual overtime from 00:01 on Saturday 1st July until further notice.

Established Member
Industrial action short of a strike announced on LNER too, where ASLEF drivers will refuse to work overtime from 1 July.

Thought LNER drivers were already refusing to work overtime?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Aren’t ASLEF supposed to give 28 days notice of a strike? Or am I missing something?

No. Only 14 days' notice is required.

Strange to strike on a Sunday. I assume it was too late to do a Saturday strike.

Probably announced a day too late to start on June 30th. Also, depending on their rostering arrangements it may be more difficult to cover vacant turns on a Sunday so starting on a Sunday would have an immediate effect on the service.

Last edited:

1D54

Meaning early Saturday finishes on the WCML no doubt.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's not. Sundays are much busier than Saturdays, hence more disruptions.

Still don't think that's strictly true; Sundays continue to have lower passenger demand because of the normal late start up and no peak trains.

It's not. Sundays are much busier than Saturdays, hence more disruptions.

They are? I suppose there are probably local factors to this, but that's not my experience of travelling to/through Birmingham at the weekend... it certainly appears that Saturdays are busier.

Drogba11CFC

Hmm...

I had considered going to Crewe Heritage Centre on the 1st...would it still be easy to do?

Is there some kind of major event happening on Sunday 2nd July?
Pride in London is on the Saturday 1st and Wimbledon starts on the Monday 3rd. I don't think anything significant is happening on the Sunday, as far as I am aware.

I am surprised the RMT and ASLEF did not target Glastonbury. Maybe they are keeping thier powder dry for some longer strikes later in the year?

Russel

Established Member
Pride in London is on the Saturday 1st and Wimbledon starts on the Monday 3rd. I don't think anything significant is happening on the Sunday, as far as I am aware.

I am surprised the RMT and ASLEF did not target Glastonbury. Maybe they are keeping thier powder dry for some longer strikes later in the year?

I may be wrong, but RMT and ASLEF aren't covering loss of wages during strike days, are they? If not, I doubt longer periods of strikes will be popular among members.

fabs

Most of those attending Glastonbury will be supporting the industrial action.
Best to keep them onside.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I may be wrong, but RMT and ASLEF aren't covering loss of wages during strike days, are they? If not, I doubt longer periods of strikes will be popular among members.

No. Union members striking lose a day's pay if they are rostered to work on a strike day, as has been mentioned many times on this forum. An extended period of ASOS, ie staff just working their contracted hours would have more effect on services.

scrapy

Established Member
Does anyone know what changes to sick pay Avanti and LNER are implementing?

Drogba11CFC

Glastonbury is attended by the right people though, as opposed to those wrong-thinking football fans...

Avanti strike for 2nd July is suspended as Avanti management have retracted their change to the sickness policy

All gone quiet hasn't it. So I'm going to assume I won't get to Grimsby on the 15th. Was rather hoping they'd announce something for the first two weekends in July so the 15th is spared

Status
Not open for further replies.