• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aslef strikes and OT ban called…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
From what I witness in the messroom & personally there is no driver animosity just confusion with the DfT/RMT announcement from last week and Harpers comments today. If anything it’s created an even more willingness for ASLEF members to continue the fight as we all expected it to continue for at least the next year anyway.

irp

You're still more likely to get somewhere than with no trains running at all.
Looking at that schedule, Not for us that have to get from Church Stretton to Landywood on Dec 3rd (and then get home to Coventry), when there is only one train every 2 hours in order to provide a voluntary safety role (not railway related). Likely to cost me 150-200 UKP, since I've already paid for the accomodation over the Fri-Sun at a prior event, not to mention counting having to cancel my attendance at two events!

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Looking at that schedule, Not for us that have to get from Church Stretton to Landywood on Dec 3rd, when there is only one train every 2 hours in order to provide a voluntary safety role (not railway related). Likely to cost me 150-200 UKP, since I've already paid for the accomodation over the Fri-Sun at a prior event, not to mention counting having to cancel my attendance at two events!

But that would be the same with all TOC's out on the same day.

Silverlinky

Was only quoting what was written on the letters to reballot members which have been posted on Twitter which make no mention of Terms & Conditons, only pay.

Even the ASLEF press releases when they did the last round of strikes only mentioned pay.
Most of the press releases have purely mentioned (time and time again) the fact that "our members have not had a payrise since 2019"... to the unknowing public that's all this is about, its all strikes are ever about is pay. "We" know about our terms and conditions.....Joe public does not, and unfortunately I think ASLEF have fallen into that trap by not getting the right message out there since day 1.

What is the definition of a timetabled service? Is it defined by the turn around stations and does the service have to run on the whole route or just part of the route, for instance Cambridge to London Kings Cross for a service which normally runs Ely or Kings Lynn to Kings Cross? Otherwise how is it determined? Is Govia Thameslink Railway one operator, in which case running just Thameslink and Great Northern on 6 December or just Southern and Gatwick Express on 3 December would presumably count as more than 40% of GTR services? How does the cancellation of services due to engineering work affect the determination of 40% of services? I wait to see what happens with regard to this MSL in the week Saturday 2 December to Friday 8 December.

Train operation services
Where a strike affects passenger train operation services, the MSL is the equivalent of 40% of the operator’s timetabled services during the strike.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I would agree with the views of others that whichever Union you decide with comma there medium machine which may or may not involve the senior figure within the Union has done no favors for you as members as all the media ever put out and in many cases but not all I admit all that is in the press releases is the title of a rather good ABBA record, if the general public knew that your terms and conditions and therefore a far more vital part of how you live your life and do your job was under this level of attack you would get far more public support and a lot less of use. On a practical note, my screen reader isn't handling the images in the opening post of this at all and I wonder if someone would kindly oblige me with what day Southeastern intend to have a stoppages? I can live without Thames link, necessary evil though they are if you live where I live these days but nonetheless I can still manage without them but without Southeastern I am severely restricted in what I can do

Blindtraveler

Established Member
6th December.
Well thank goodness it looks as if for once I am not going to be adversely hit by this. Thank you for your help, good luck to all those standing up for their terms and conditions, whilst my general feeling is that I'm not a fan of strike action I do still support you in what you're trying to achieve here and agree that there's been some very ill thought out comments from senior politicians of late

Silverlinky

The grouping of the Tocs together on certain days is interesting. They seem to have chosen "next door" tocs to limit available options, for example SouthEast the same time as SouthWest, C2C alongside Greater Anglia. It will paralyse rail travel in differing areas on a daily basis.
Also intrigued by strikes on a Sunday, for example I know that WMT do not have committed or compulsory Sundays so its odd to call a strike on an overtime day in their case. With the additional non-contractual overtime ban there would have been no service anyway so why call a strike? Why the Sunday action and indeed every other day throughout the week but nothing on the Monday?

irp

The grouping of the Tocs together on certain days is interesting. They seem to have chosen "next door" tocs to limit available options, for example SouthEast the same time as SouthWest, C2C alongside Greater Anglia. It will paralyse rail travel in differing areas on a daily basis.
Also intrigued by strikes on a Sunday, for example I know that WMT do not have committed or compulsory Sundays so its odd to call a strike on an overtime day in their case. With the additional non-contractual overtime ban there would have been no service anyway so why call a strike? Why the Sunday action and indeed every other day throughout the week but nothing on the Monday?
Won't rolling stock be in the wrong place on the Monday, thus at least Monday AM being impacted, although with no-one on strike ?

Drogba11CFC

At least SWR will still be running on the day of the Poole Town vs Winchester City game. Shame the pitch there is rubbish.

Silver Cobra

As I alluded to earlier with an edit to my post, the Sunday strike action on Thameslink will cause a massive headache for LNER, as it heavily reduces the available services for their passengers being sent over to Bedford from St Neots, with the ECML shut between St Neots and Potters Bar.

Geeves

Established Member
I may have missed it but which were the major things the government were looking to change regards to T&C's? Sundays into the working week. What else was there?

Cheeeeeeers

What's the reasoning behind this one day rolling strike at different TOCs tactic?
Maximize Media coverage?
I don't think it work though(if so) tbh, it will get relegated to your BBC local news segments like the town bus strikes you've got scattered about

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What's the reasoning behind this one day rolling strike at different TOCs tactic?
Maximize Media coverage?
I don't think it work though(if so) tbh, it will get relegated to your BBC local news segments like the town bus strikes you've got scattered about

Last time I looked it hadn't even made the BBC News website.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I would agree with the views of others that whichever Union you decide with comma there medium machine which may or may not involve the senior figure within the Union has done no favors for you as members as all the media ever put out and in many cases but not all I admit all that is in the press releases is the title of a rather good ABBA record, if the general public knew that your terms and conditions and therefore a far more vital part of how you live your life and do your job was under this level of attack you would get far more public support and a lot less of use. On a practical note, my screen reader isn't handling the images in the opening post of this at all and I wonder if someone would kindly oblige me with what day Southeastern intend to have a stoppages? I can live without Thames link, necessary evil though they are if you live where I live these days but nonetheless I can still manage without them but without Southeastern I am severely restricted in what I can do
The original poster has been requested to edit the post to comply with forum rules as soon as they are able to do so; please do reply any such posts using the report button in future, thanks:)

ModernRailways

Established Member
That's not really how things work though.

During the RMT strikes where you have limited services, those limited services have tended not to be overcrowded in my experience.
I tend to agree with this, people don't travel on those limited services because they just see that the trains are on strike and most won't look into it further. Of course some people will still travel or they may know the limited service will operate on their route but the vast majority will see nationwide rail strikes and just say they're not going to travel by train that day.

With this action, it's likely going to be a week of low passenger numbers nationwide. People will see strikes, and say no I'm not travelling during that period.

All that being said, sticking with Leeds-Wakefield-Sheffield, if that route saw normal passenger numbers (including XC) on the Thursday it will put an awful lot more pressure on an already busy route. Northern will pick up the XC passengers but they would be extremely cosy services. The other issue is this is a fairly core XC route so will people see 3/4 changes and decide it's worth it to still do their journey, as an example passengers from the likes of here in Newcastle travelling to Birmingham, will they end up travelling via LNER/TPE to Doncaster/Leeds then onwards to Sheffield on the Northern services changing there for either Manchester or Leicester. It would likely add another hour depending on connections, so will people accept that or will they look and go, strike day, can't be bothered.

It will be worth keeping an eye on passenger movements/figures for this action, it's not focused on specific days so I think the most likely outcome will be a week of low passengers, but I have a feeling this could be wrong.

Established Member
As I alluded to earlier with an edit to my post, the Sunday strike action on Thameslink will cause a massive headache for LNER, as it heavily reduces the available services for their passengers being sent over to Bedford from St Neots, with the ECML shut between St Neots and Potters Bar.
I can see NWR and West coast railways getting those 47s out again, Peterborough to Liverpool Street

infobleep

Veteran Member
As the title says, Aslef haslve called TOC by TOC strikes throughout the first week of December…
Interesting how they have decided to split up the Govia Thameslink Railway brands and have them strike of different days.

Is this to cause enhanced disruption or just that they are still living in the days when they were separate companies?

So it's not National then? That's going to be messy.
Well apart from Govia Thameslink Railway, where they have the strikes over 2 days, all the others are confind to one day so it should be easier for each TOC.

Or have I got that wrong?

Was only quoting what was written on the letters to reballot members which have been posted on Twitter which make no mention of Terms & Conditons, only pay.

Even the ASLEF press releases when they did the last round of strikes only mentioned pay.
ASLEF don't seem to know how to write a favorable press release it seems.
Well you are hearing it from the mouth of an Aslef member. Attacks on our Ts and Cs are the only reason no deal has been done and the strikes continue to disrupt everyone. If Harper stops messing around with deals that involve selling the family silver, we are all ready to accept for a very modest increase in pay.

No point trying to educate certain folk on this subject, despite it being glaring obvious what we are fighting for they'll always believe the nonsense Harper throws out to them.
And the ASLEF press releases..... which it seems the master one didn't mention T&Cs.
Most of the press releases have purely mentioned (time and time again) the fact that "our members have not had a payrise since 2019"... to the unknowing public that's all this is about, its all strikes are ever about is pay. "We" know about our terms and conditions.....Joe public does not, and unfortunately I think ASLEF have fallen into that trap by not getting the right message out there since day 1.
Indeed they have. I know someone who works for a TOC and I support what they are striking over in terms of T&Cs
What is the definition of a timetabled service? Is it defined by the turn around stations and does the service have to run on the whole route or just part of the route, for instance Cambridge to London Kings Cross for a service which normally runs Ely or Kings Lynn to Kings Cross? Otherwise how is it determined? Is Govia Thameslink Railway one operator, in which case running just Thameslink and Great Northern on 6 December or just Southern and Gatwick Express on 3 December would presumably count as more than 40% of GTR services? How does the cancellation of services due to engineering work affect the determination of 40% of services? I wait to see what happens with regard to this MSL in the week Saturday 2 December to Friday 8 December.

Train operation services
Where a strike affects passenger train operation services, the MSL is the equivalent of 40% of the operator’s timetabled services during the strike.
I think the 40% rule would apply to the whole of Govia Thameslink Railway as brands are not companies. I'm not a lawyer though.

Last edited:

Russel

Established Member
What effect does the overtime ban usually have on LNWR?

Specifically, on Saturdays?

Sly Old Fox

very small.

Now a possibly provocative question. What is this action intended to achieve that the previous action didn’t?

Will be interesting if RMT settle…

The RMT are going to settle. Offer the same deal to ASLEF and they will settle too. What else are ASLEF to do at this point?

PsychoMouse

Has this actually been officially announced anywhere, I can't see anything on ASLEF or any news sites?

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
Not if your journey involves 2 operators striking different days

I don't know percentage that have change of trains to different operator, but it is common on many longer journeys

Unlike some other non-English/non-European nations, England often has alternative routes available using different operators. This should help some passengers get to their desired destination station.

Snow1964

Established Member
Last time I looked it hadn't even made the BBC News website.
Has this actually been officially announced anywhere, I can't see anything on ASLEF or any news sites?

Don't even think ASLEF have issued any press releases or put it on their website.

All you will find on their website is this, which makes it clear it is a pay dispute due to inflation, nothing about any T&Cs dispute which some posters mistakenly seem think is the case.

Why are train drivers on strike?​

When inflation goes up and pay doesn't, that's a real-terms pay cut!

Train drivers haven't had a pay increase since 2019, we are seeking a fair pay deal for our members who have been experiencing real terms pay cuts whilst private operators and rolling stock companies (who own the trains and lease them back) have continued to pay out dividends to their shareholders, extracting profits from the railways.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike57

Established Member
I just wonder how bothered the government are about this. Taking a very cynical view those who are likely to continue to vote Conservative are least likely to be adversely affected, as for the rest, those who cant work from home, need public transport to attend important appointments etc. what ever lip service is paid I dont think the government cares.

The sad thing about this, I would be someone who based on lifestyle, earnings, views etc. should be a core conservative supporter, but this government has to be one of the most chaotic in my memory and will not get my vote again.

As a rail user what I find frustrating is that if ASLEF would accept the same offer as the RMT then it just feels like a dont care attitude from Westminster.

And yes the action will affect our plans, but they are discretionary, so it will just mean a change of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.