• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Aviator88

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

I have passed through to what the OPC are calling Stage 2 of the Avanti Trainee Driver assessments (the computer-based tests), taking place in May in Crewe. I've got the practice materials etc and set for doing those.
In the meantime I was wondering, are they part of the National standard or are they part of the Enhanced standard? As I've passed Stage 1 (Group Bourdon, TEA-Occ, TRP 1 and 2) does that qualify me to apply for any other TOCs that operate the National standard? Just curious!

Well done for making it to Stage 2!

'Enhanced' isn't a universal constant - it only means that the test has a higher pass mark than the national standard, and/or there is an additional test (such as the VSE) to complete which is not required as part of the 'national minimum standard'. For instance, an operator that only requires national standard passes but also includes the VSE is classed as having an 'enhanced' process.

What's for certain, though, is that if you've passed to enhanced with any operator, you will definitely have met the standard for an operator that only requires national passes, by very definition. It is known, however, for some TOCs to require you to sit the tests again regardless, and that's their perogative.

P.s. Avanti are Enhanced. Definitely because of the VSE/M7, and likely due to higher pass marks on all other tests!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I__

I've recently applied for the Grade 2 Signaller Trainee role at Network Rail. I have just received an email saying that I will need to complete a psychometric test within the next two days to continue with my application.

Does anybody that has completed a psychometric test for a signalling role have any tips?
I have been looking at general psychometric tests online, but there seems to be a wide range of different ones and I'm not sure if they will be similar to the one that I have to complete.

Thank you!

elle1630

I've got my stage 2 assessments coming up soon, and I've been practicing the dual hand coordination test, on some of the practice stuff the track disappears does this happen on the real thing too?

Wing&Prayer

If you have a look on the OPC website there are example tests. But normally they send you through some examples too before you do your test.

Clubberlang4

I’ve recently completed the online tests. I was given 5 assessments that measured:
1/ Risk Suitability Awareness- questions where you need to decide how you’d best respond/ adapt to particular situations.
2/ Ability to Concentrate- test that measures your ability to concentrate and react to certain signals.
3/Reaction Speed- measures your ability to react quickly.
4/Multi-tasking Capability- A test that measures your ability to perform three different tasks at the same time.
5/ gridChallenge- A game that measures your ability to keep something in mind while trying to process other information.

You’ll probably not find anything online that is exact to the questions; however, there are practice sessions given that you can access before starting each test- unlimited time and tries to do these, and that is honestly the best way/ preparation to do things.

In the meantime, just relax through the questions and pay attention to what it asks you. When you do this, you’ll be absolutely fine. There is nothing deliberate to try and catch you out; and as I’m sure you’re fully aware, it’s identifying how you cope under pressure with time and tasks given to you in quick succession.

All the best with them, and let us know how you get on.

I__

I've recently applied for the Grade 2 Signaller Trainee role at Network Rail. I have just received an email saying that I will need to complete a psychometric test within the next two days to continue with my application.

Does anybody that has completed a psychometric test for a signalling role have any tips?
I have been looking at general psychometric tests online, but there seems to be a wide range of different ones and I'm not sure if they will be similar to the one that I have to complete.

Thank you!

I just completed the psychometric tests, it started off not too hard but got more difficult as it progressed!

Here were the different tasks:

• Risk & Safety Behavioral Questionnaire

• Ability to Concentrate

• Reaction Speed

• Multi-tasking Capability

• gridChallenge

elle1630

How quick is the photo memory test. I've been doing them at about 1 second. And trying to go down in time to about 0.75 of a second, but I just want to know if I should be practicing them quicker?

incognito

How quick is the photo memory test. I've been doing them at about 1 second. And trying to go down in time to about 0.75 of a second, but I just want to know if I should be practicing them quicker?
Where are you practising this test please?

LoogaBarooga

The test materials I got sent say no more than 2 seconds so I can't imagine it will be any lower than 1.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

You’ll start getting to an absolute human limit soon. 1 second seems like a good score.

LoogaBarooga

I had mine accidentally set on 0.3 seconds when I first started practicing. I couldn't understand how anyone could possibly pass it haha

AG1994

Don’t focus so hard on what is in the image, if your eyes are darting from item to item you will fail. Just stare in the middle of the screen to allow your brain to almost take a snapshot, you don’t need to lock eyes onto a bike to realise it’s a bike for example. The test is designed to test not only memory but your perception, I was explained that it’s looking for (massively oversimplified) someone that can see a busy scene and notice several risks and assume other risks, whilst seeing a clear scene and noticing all risks and appreciating the lower risk. Basically, if it is a busy picture it’s more likely every option is present vs if it’s a quiet picture it’s likely less options are present. If your eyes flick around a busy image and you only spot 3 options when there are actually 5, that’s a big problem for someone that wants to work on the railway.

LoogaBarooga

That's really helpful cheers. In the busy scenes I found myself looking for what wasn't there rather than what was. I'll give your technique a bash next time I'm doing it though.

elle1630

Don’t focus so hard on what is in the image, if your eyes are darting from item to item you will fail. Just stare in the middle of the screen to allow your brain to almost take a snapshot, you don’t need to lock eyes onto a bike to realise it’s a bike for example. The test is designed to test not only memory but your perception, I was explained that it’s looking for (massively oversimplified) someone that can see a busy scene and notice several risks and assume other risks, whilst seeing a clear scene and noticing all risks and appreciating the lower risk. Basically, if it is a busy picture it’s more likely every option is present vs if it’s a quiet picture it’s likely less options are present. If your eyes flick around a busy image and you only spot 3 options when there are actually 5, that’s a big problem for someone that wants to work on the railway.
That's actually really helpful. I'm going to start thinking about it more in this way. I think I was trying to dart everywhere, easy enough when there 2 or 3 things to spot, but you lose time when there's 5
I had mine accidentally set on 0.3 seconds when I first started practicing. I couldn't understand how anyone could possibly pass it haha
Haha, I had mine set on that for the first one, and I remember thinking the exact same thing if anyone can do it that low they deserve all the jobs

AG1994

I remember a discussion about the time per photo somewhere and I’m sure several said it’s just under a second. I practised at 1.2 seconds and would get like 80% right during the practises, but did absolutely fine in the real thing.

LoogaBarooga

I was practicing using this technique yesterday and today and it's definitely helped so thanks again. I suppose the key now is keeping calm on the day. Easier said than done though I suppose!

Aviator88

My technique for the ATAVT won't apply to everyone, but it worked for me (I sat an enhanced version)... I clicked through the test very quickly - I was probably finished in 60 seconds, maybe less. I didn't overthink it or question myself when it came to selecting what I saw. I looked at the picture, immediately chose the things I definitely saw, then clicked onto the next image straightaway.

I also apply this technique to multiple choice tests as well, so use caution if this isn't your preferred way of approaching these things, but it did the job for me!

Plodster

Sat the assessment day today and on the assessment where you had to listen to beeps and circle the restaurants, I put lines through instead - do you think this will matter?

Also, how long does it take to hear the outcome of the paper assessments? Are we normally emailed or is it uploaded on our account first?

Thanks
You will hear in around a week.
I guess it will matter as the instructions said ‘circle’ and not line through.

CROSSY

Applied for Gateline Assistant and passed the online assessment. Got invited to the assessment centre next week, any rough ideas of what will be expected on the day? Want to prepare myself for the best chance of getting further.
Thanks

CROSSY

Hi,

Applied for Gateline Assistant and passed the online assessment. Got invited to the assessment centre next week, any rough ideas of what will be expected on the day? Want to prepare myself for the best chance of getting further on.

Many thanks!

Bedwyn32

It's been a long time since I did my gateline assignment for SWT/SWR. But one of the tests is a ticket checking test. Sorry I can not remember the rest of them.

CROSSY

It's been a long time since I did my gateline assignment for SWT/SWR. But one of the tests is a ticket checking test. Sorry I can not remember the rest of them.
Ah all right. Do you remember for the ticket checking if they go through like a PowerPoint or anything before hand then do the test or its case of just going straight in for it?

Bedwyn32

They will do some test questions with you first. When I did it they sent a test paper.

Tevion539

If it's the ticket selling and checking test they do with guards, I believe they give you a conversion chart for percentages. They did with me. This was 2021 though. It's a simple test, really. Checking ticket validity more than anything against things like railcards, peak times and short faring
That's good then. Been doing some basic maths test online just in case. And also train times tables anything related to the role really.

Purly

I currently wear contacts of a - 7.5 prescription, and glasses of - 8. Would my eyesight be considered too bad for a train driver role?

Choochoo2022

I'm just wondering how I should be practising?

How2Become's Group Bourdon practice software only allows keyboard..