• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Oscar69

Honestly, dont.

The material they send you is enough, anything extra can be found online.

I've seen some of the prices for additional material and it really does not seem worth it when you get the information for free.
Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrysalis

Maybe you just have a low resting pulse? This isn't necessarily even a bad thing... I'm sure it's fine in any case. Congratulations for getting so far!

DLC

Hi all

I’ve got a medical as a conductor on Thursday and just overthinking what they’re looking for exactly. I’ll be working for transport for wales and wondering what the medical entails and criteria’s needed eg blood pressure limits etc

Towers

Established Member
The primary issues will be a sight test, colourblindness test and hearing test. The hearing test usually involves a soundproof booth and a range of varying beeps in one ear at a time through headphones. Eyesight will likely be letters on a board, and colourblindness tends to use the Ishihara test (Google it if unsure what that is!), although I believe other methods are available.

They’ll test your blood pressure, dip for diabetes and drugs, and that’ll probably be about it. I don’t know what the blood pressure limits are, but if there’s an issue they’ll likely discuss how best to go forwards - blood pressure can be managed accordingly, so it isn’t necessarily an instant ‘fail’!

LoogaBarooga

All the answers I gave in my MMI were related to my work as a guard.

There are lists on here of the likely questions so I'm sure you'll be able to come up with examples for all of them.

NTD

All the answers I gave in my MMI were related to my work as a guard.

There are lists on here of the likely questions so I'm sure you'll be able to come up with examples for all of them.

Thanks. I'm assuming you passed the MMI with those examples? :smile:

Last edited:

LoogaBarooga

Yeah I did. My impression was that it would harder to fail the MMI than to pass it. I may be wrong though.

Nela

Hi guys! I recently made an application for a trainee train driver with Arriva Rail and I’ve been successful. I’ve been asked to sit some online testing which I passed and one of them was the VSE test. Because I already done all my psychometric tests and been successful with a different TOC last year I’ve been invited to do the MMI interview which was the only one I never got the chance to do when I completed all the others, and they also want me to resit the VSE test again in person even though they made me complete this test online already. Basically I am doing it twice within the same application for the same TOC. In the meantime I also applied for southeastern rail and I got a message from them after missing a phone call saying my application has been successful and they would like to invite me in for the MMI ( southeastern also uses VSE test in their recruitment process) . Now my question is if I go in and do the VSE test with Arriva again and by any mean I fail is that failed test going to take over, and the one I passed online will not count anymore? That means I would lose the chance with southeastern as well and I am very confused in how to go about the situation. Any answers would be much appreciated and helpful. Thank you

NTD

Hi guys! I recently made an application for a trainee train driver with Arriva Rail and I’ve been successful. I’ve been asked to sit some online testing which I passed and one of them was the VSE test. Because I already done all my psychometric tests and been successful with a different TOC last year I’ve been invited to do the MMI interview which was the only one I never got the chance to do when I completed all the others, and they also want me to resit the VSE test again in person even though they made me complete this test online already. Basically I am doing it twice within the same application for the same TOC. In the meantime I also applied for southeastern rail and I got a message from them after missing a phone call saying my application has been successful and they would like to invite me in for the MMI ( southeastern also uses VSE test in their recruitment process) . Now my question is if I go in and do the VSE test with Arriva again and by any mean I fail is that failed test going to take over, and the one I passed online will not count anymore? That means I would lose the chance with southeastern as well and I am very confused in how to go about the situation. Any answers would be much appreciated and helpful. Thank you

My understanding is that the most recent attempt at a test always overwrites the previous, no matter the results. However, concerning the VSE (I'm not 100% sure on this), I believe that test is not part of the national rail assessments and is an optional test that some TOCs require. The VSE for Arriva and Southeastern might be different (ie. different scoring system, pass mark etc.) and if that's the case, their results are not going to be interchangeable so one won't impact the other.

Nela

I got in touch with the OPC and they said it will overwrite the other one. Now southeastern are saying they only want me to sit the MMI interview as they accept that pass I already have on the VSE so if I am going to do do this test again and fail it will just be a fail and missed my opportunity in both places I guess. Correct me if I am wrong.

Samzino

Established Member
I got in touch with the OPC and they said it will overwrite the other one. Now southeastern are saying they only want me to sit the MMI interview as they accept that pass I already have on the VSE so if I am going to do do this test again and fail it will just be a fail and missed my opportunity in both places I guess. Correct me if I am wrong.
Well yeh if you fail it before you have an interview with SE then you'd have 6 months till you could resit the VSE effectively locking you out that interview imo. I'd be intrested to see if anyone else has bypassed a predicament like so.

Nela

I think I would rather just take the southeastern offer and leave the other one. The depot is also 5 minutes walk from my house.

The test will be before the southeastern interview yeah unfortunately. I tried to reschedule. I am waiting on them to reply.

Samzino

Established Member
I think I would rather just take the southeastern offer and leave the other one. The depot is also 5 minutes walk from my house.

The test will be before the southeastern interview yeah unfortunately. I tried to reschedule. I am waiting on them to reply.
Better off imo trying for SE then especially if the depot is 5mins walk. Ofc nothing is a guarantee but if you make it in then you only have to work x amount of years and then if you choose for a move you've got your license at least.

Nela

Exactly. I think about the same thing. If I go online to withdraw my application for the other one that won’t affect my application with SE would it?

Samzino

Established Member
Exactly. I think about the same thing. If I go online to withdraw my application for the other one that won’t affect my application with SE would it?
Shouldn't do no but wait maybe to see if you can reschedule test / hear back. If you can't then consider a withdraw if you're not confident in taking the test.

Nela

I have that test tomorrow. I been contacted by SE last minute therefore never had the chance to contact them in advance which makes me worried they might reject my application if I don’t attend which that would affect my application with SE as well I guess isn’t it? And if I am to fail the interview with SE would also affect the other application. They will have to close it anyway and wait 6 months , if you get where I am coming from.

Samzino

Established Member
I have that test tomorrow. I been contacted by SE last minute therefore never had the chance to contact them in advance which makes me worried they might reject my application if I don’t attend which that would affect my application with SE as well I guess isn’t it? And if I am to fail the interview with SE would also affect the other application. They will have to close it anyway and wait 6 months , if you get where I am coming from.
If you fail the mmi if its the MMi then yes will affect other apps but if you fail a TOC dmi it won't

Nela

Yes it’s the MMI.

I wouldn’t withdraw just yet but because the test is tomorrow and I don’t intend to attend it before sitting the interview( just in case) I don’t know what they might do when they realise I did not attend. I tried to email them but no response.

Samzino

Established Member
Yes it’s the MMI.

I wouldn’t withdraw just yet but because the test is tomorrow and I don’t intend to attend it before sitting the interview( just in case) I don’t know what they might do when they realise I did not attend. I tried to email them but no response.
I'd say you have some options. Either attend the day to let them know in person you won't be sitting it and that you did send an email to notify, don't attend at all, bite the bullet and try and pass the VSE at least if you do Pass it then you have two options to pick from tho the alternative being if you fail you may have none to pick from.

Truth is you still have the DMI to face as well. If I'm being honest I'd personally sit the test and whatever happens happens. As a pass would give me two options and two possible DMI attempts.

Nela

I already passed the VSE few weeks ago online. They just want me to do it again in person. SE are ok with that pass I already have and only want me to do MMI. I want to mention I already failed the VSE once in the past so if I fail again that’s it. I won’t be able to apply for SE again. Is a bit of a tricky situation I am in and very confused in what to do.

And do you have any idea what could happen if I don’t attend tomorrow?

Samzino

Established Member
I already passed the VSE few weeks ago online. They just want me to do it again in person. SE are ok with that pass I already have and only want me to do MMI. I want to mention I already failed the VSE once in the past so if I fail again that’s it. I won’t be able to apply for SE again. Is a bit of a tricky situation I am in and very confused in what to do.

And do you have any idea what could happen if I don’t attend tomorrow?
A no show would just mean the end of your current application process with Arriva. Won't be counted as a fail or affect your two lives. It may make them again skeptical tho about you if you apply again on another of their applications for the same role due to the no show. Otherwise it shouldn't affect your other apps.

Fair enough with the VSE stuff then yeh ideally push for SE if you're not willing to risk the VSE testing again in person. Ideally the sooner you make the decision clear in your head the better as then you can work on preparing yourself for the MMI.

Best of luck!

DLC

I was due to have my medical for a conductors role with tfw on Thursday with medihealth. They cancelled on the day however and rearranged for next Thursday. Just a general question if anyone can help though. Is the urine test for alcohol a very basic one or an ets/etg one. Sceptical about having a few beers tonight despite it being 5 days away

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
You’ll be fine having a few tonight.

The railway don’t expect you to be tee-total, just sober when you turn up for the job. (Not hungover, etc, etc.)

NTD

Just curious, do all TOCs have the MMI as part of their assessments? And if so, is it identical for all TOCs or are there some variations? Is it part of the mandatory national standard assessments? What about FOCs? Asking because I've seen various kind of structured interviews mentioned here. Thanks!

JWS

Hi everyone,
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but is there any tests online where I can practice the VSE? I've failed this once before so I'm on my last chance with SE. its a horrible test IMO stage 3 is hectic to say the least! id love to be able to practice this all week before the real deal?! is there any online practice tests?

Terry844

If that’s the one where you need to do the 2 tasks at the same time. It does say in the instructions that you need to prioritise one of the tasks over the other. Yes you need to be able to perform some degree of multi tasking but there are times when that isn’t possible and so you need to prioritise

Samsanbor

There is a software test you can buy online.
Just type "VSE test" on your browser and you will see it.
Please note that the real test can vary a little from the software and TOCs.
I strongly suggest you to rely on the practice pack you get from the TOC you are applying and read and understand carefully the instructions.

Best of luck!

JWS

Thanks for the responses :)! Yes it’s the one where you click for faults around a track then combined with symbols which you also have to click at certain times.
Thanks for help. I do believe that is where I went wrong last time regarding the instruction to prioritise