• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATAVT Advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amansid

Hey Guys.

I hope someone can help me.

I have my assessment day coming up and was hoping I could get some advice on the ATAVT, as I’ve been struggling on the practice app.

I’m struggling to spot motorcycles… or it could be because there’s not many of them in the practice app test.

Any advice on this test? Do anyone remember, if like in the practice app, there’s vehicles in most the pictures?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks
Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
This was the one I was most stressed about. I have passed it twice now, so my advice would be:
  • Don't overthink it!
  • Only select thing you definitely saw, don't just guess and say oh there must have been a car there...
That seemed to work for me

Sorcerer

This was the one I was most stressed about. I have passed it twice now, so my advice would be:
  • Don't overthink it!
  • Only select thing you definitely saw, don't just guess and say oh there must have been a car there...
That seemed to work for me
I am due this test in the future, so this is somewhat relevant to me, but my question is, is it better to say what you definitely saw and miss something, or better to take a guess at what you might've seen and be wrong?

martin2345uk

Established Member
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but if I had to guess I would say it's better to say what you definitely saw and miss something, otherwise people would just tick all the options every time!

Defty27

I found that I would concentrate on searching for things that I would usually miss and in the search for that I would have spotted the rest. For example searching out the motorcycle I would have a definite answer that I did or did not see it and I subconsciously knew if I had seen the other things. Go with your gut feeling if you saw it or not as the longer you take the less clear the picture becomes. Worked for me anyway!

amansid

I found that I would concentrate on searching for things that I would usually miss and in the search for that I would have spotted the rest. For example searching out the motorcycle I would have a definite answer that I did or did not see it and I subconsciously knew if I had seen the other things. Go with your gut feeling if you saw it or not as the longer you take the less clear the picture becomes. Worked for me anyway!
This is very good advice and exactly what I was thinking.
Example, I was thinking of not looking out for cars, since you automatically notice them.

Shunted

I am due this test in the future, so this is somewhat relevant to me, but my question is, is it better to say what you definitely saw and miss something, or better to take a guess at what you might've seen and be wrong?
If you guess, you will probably fail!
Only put what you definitely see

Dave19801980

Try not to focus on any particular part of the screen. Sit slightly back and just let your vision cover the whole screen. ‘Ignore’ the big stuff as that will be obvious….concentrate on the smaller stuff…..make sure you spot the traffic lights….and never guess. And if any of us knew exactly how they scored any of these tests then most of these forum questions wouldn’t exist. Best advice is try your best and as others have said, never overthink it.

Also stay away from coffee that morning, have a bottle of water and a couple of bananas…..I can’t say that is magic formula but it worked for me on stage 1 so I made sure I did it every time after that8-)

Best of luck

amansid

Th
Try not to focus on any particular part of the screen. Sit slightly back and just let your vision cover the whole screen. ‘Ignore’ the big stuff as that will be obvious….concentrate on the smaller stuff…..make sure you spot the traffic lights….and never guess. And if any of us knew exactly how they scored any of these tests then most of these forum questions wouldn’t exist. Best advice is try your best and as others have said, never overthink it.

Also stay away from coffee that morning, have a bottle of water and a couple of bananas…..I can’t say that is magic formula but it worked for me on stage 1 so I made sure I did it every time after that8-)

Best of luck
Really good points, and I agree. Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

Seejwalker

As with any of these tests, don’t stress yourself out with worry.
Either you have the ability to do them or you don’t.
Just make sure you fully understand what is required of you for each test you take during the day/days and then do your best as quick and efficiently as you can.

Not everyone has the ability to scan information quick, or process things fast or take in an image and remember it on short notice.
Same for coordination.

It’s the whole purpose of these tests.
It’s why some only just pass them and some achieve the higher standard. It’s all due to personal ability.

Good luck with it, don’t stress yourself out, either you’ll do it or you won’t.

TreacleMiller

As others have said.

Don't focus on one area, say only specifically what you know for a fact you see.

You WILL miss things.

If you want to practice use Google Street View in Vienna. You'll get used to the road signs etc. By doing that.

amansid

Hey Guys.

The above is all great advice. Thank you to everyone for their input. It’s appreciated.

Kind Regards
Adam

Kbendle

Hey Guys.

I hope someone can help me.

I have my assessment day coming up and was hoping I could get some advice on the ATAVT, as I’ve been struggling on the practice app.

I’m struggling to spot motorcycles… or it could be because there’s not many of them in the practice app test.

Any advice on this test? Do anyone remember, if like in the practice app, there’s vehicles in most the pictures?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks
Adam
There’s a practice app? I’m also following this post with interest as I failed my ATAVT last year so I’m on my last life and have assessment day next week

deanboy7

There’s a practice app? I’m also following this post with interest as I failed my ATAVT last year so I’m on my last life and have assessment day next week
Hi, failed my Atavt today and still shocked. I thought it went ok! How did you get on second time around?

Also, were your paper tests valid for 2 years or did you have to start from square 1? I'm in the same boat as you were....

Railroader22

Sorry to hear you failed. Could anyone tell me how long do you get to look at each image on the screen approx?

deanboy7

Around 1 second mate.

Anyone able to clarify if traffic lights side on showing green / red people for pedestrians to cross are classed as traffic lights or traffic sign?

Last edited:

Kbendle

Hi, failed my Atavt today and still shocked. I thought it went ok! How did you get on second time around?

Also, were your paper tests valid for 2 years or did you have to start from square 1? I'm in the same boat as you were....
ah that’s a shame, I passed second time around thankfully and I only needed to resit the ATAVT that I failed last time then went straight to SJE and MMI. I’m pretty sure FL results stay on file for 5 years.
Around 1 second mate.

Anyone able to clarify if traffic lights side on showing green / red people for pedestrians to cross are classed as traffic lights or traffic sign?
neither as it’s not giving information to traffic but rather the pedestrians so I discarded them when I saw them

Archvile

Don't spend ages thinking about your response.. go with your first instinct

Last edited:
Hi All, Finding practice for the ATAVT part of the assessment really tricky to be honest. Can anyone who has taken the ATAVT recently confirm that it is definitely pictures of roads and vehicles that you are shown on the assessment day? The info pack I have been sent for my assessment has pictures of kitchens in it for practice, but I don't want to train my eyes to be looking for kettles and toasters when on the day i'll be trying to pick out cars and traffic lights! Cheers.

Also could anyone who has done the TEA-OCC confirm that on the 3rd part of the test when you are searching for matching symbols and counting tones at the same time, do you need to differentiate between high and low tones or is it just one tone that is played during that section?

SLR

The 3rd part of the TEAOCC is only one tone to listen for. I did it a few days ago. Haven’t done the ATAVT (hoping to get through and waiting results) but I’m lead to believe it’s definitely road signs, cars/bikes, traffic lights and pedestrians. I got the kitchen practise material too but that’s just to give you an idea.

Kbendle

From what i remember of the tea occ is you still have to differentiate between the tones whilst also looking for matching symbols in a phone book.

I sat my ATAVT in january and it was pedestrians, bikes/scooters, cars, traffic lights and traffic signs. I found the best way to practice was to google hazard perception images and save a load on your phone, then go through them by quickly glancing at a picture and say aloud what you think you saw. I hope this helps!

The 3rd part of the TEAOCC is only one tone to listen for. I did it a few days ago. Haven’t done the ATAVT (hoping to get through and waiting results) but I’m lead to believe it’s definitely road signs, cars/bikes, traffic lights and pedestrians. I got the kitchen practise material too but that’s just to give you an idea.

From what i remember of the tea occ is you still have to differentiate between the tones whilst also looking for matching symbols in a phone book.

I sat my ATAVT in january and it was pedestrians, bikes/scooters, cars, traffic lights and traffic signs. I found the best way to practice was to google hazard perception images and save a load on your phone, then go through them by quickly glancing at a picture and say aloud what you think you saw. I hope this helps!

Thanks for this guys. Some useful info here.

LokiB

I've got my ATAVT shortly and was struggling to find any practice material. I didn't think about hazard perception images for driving tests etc but that's a great idea.

I've got my ATAVT shortly and was struggling to find any practice material. I didn't think about hazard perception images for driving tests etc but that's a great idea.
I passed mine but definitely found the ATAVT was the scariest part.

The best form of practice I found was to explain to my partner what the test was about and show her the test images and then we sat at the the computer and I closed my eyes while she clicked around google street view in Vienna. She would let me know when she had found a suitable image and I would open my eyes for one second, close them and then say what I had seen. She then moved on to a different image. We did this for a total of about three hours over a few nights and I found it helped.

Also when I was driving on my own I would be constantly looking for pedestrians, cyclists, road signs, traffic lights and motor vehicles and shouting out each as I saw it (definitely better to be alone for this )

Also, just to repeat what everyone else says, only tick what you definitely saw, never guess. Even if the image looked incredibly busy and you’re sure they’re must have been lights and vehicles but you only saw a bike, just trust your instincts and say bike.

Good luck with your test!

Smelliott

The best form of practice I found was to explain to my partner what the test was about and show her the test images and then we sat at the the computer and I closed my eyes while she clicked around google street view in Vienna. She would let me know when she had found a suitable image and I would open my eyes for one second, close them and then say what I had seen. She then moved on to a different image. We did this for a total of about three hours over a few nights and I found it helped.

Also when I was driving on my own I would be constantly looking for pedestrians, cyclists, road signs, traffic lights and motor vehicles and shouting out each as I saw it (definitely better to be alone for this )

Also, just to repeat what everyone else says, only tick what you definitely saw, never guess. Even if the image looked incredibly busy and you’re sure they’re must have been lights and vehicles but you only saw a bike, just trust your instincts and say bike.

I seem to remember doing something similar! I was super stressed about the ATAVT as it seemed impossible, but having seen my results I passed it with flying colours. Therefore I'd say practice it, but don't get too stressed about it.

LokiB

Yeah I did the shouting out when driving aswell, must have looked like a right weirdo

I think I over thought the test to be more complicated than it actually was on the day, I was expecting lots of things on it that I'd find impossible to see.
Turns out I passed it so pretty happy about that.

Yeah I did the shouting out when driving aswell, must have looked like a right weirdo

I think I over thought the test to be more complicated than it actually was on the day, I was expecting lots of things on it that I'd find impossible to see.
Turns out I passed it so pretty happy about that.
Oh well done! Sorry my advice was a bit late! Hopefully it will be of use to someone lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.