• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tumi

I have my assessment in Glasgow tomorrow and it says on the email that we have to dress “professionally” for the assessment. Has anyone on here attended the assessment and what is acceptable to wear?

Thanks

Harvinder

I have my assessment in Glasgow tomorrow and it says on the email that we have to dress “professionally” for the assessment. Has anyone on here attended the assessment and what is acceptable to wear?

Thanks
I would recommend wearing a suite with formal shoes.

RustyRuss

I would recommend wearing a suite with formal shoes.
I certainly did, looked in the mirror on the way out in the morning and didnt recognise myself. There was a clear variation on candidaties perception of professional during my stage 1, Ill see how many of the suit wearers return for stage 2.
I would argue that the whole process will be looked at and how you follow instructions on the day could be judged as well as the test results, just my thoughts on it Im sure others may disagree but in my mind it was worth making the effort just in case.

Harvinder

I certainly did, looked in the mirror on the way out in the morning and didnt recognise myself. There was a clear variation on candidaties perception of professional during my stage 1, Ill see how many of the suit wearers return for stage 2.
I would argue that the whole process will be looked at and how you follow instructions on the day could be judged as well as the test results, just my thoughts on it Im sure others may disagree but in my mind it was worth making the effort just in case.
Yes indeed, you don't know what criteria they also tick off! It's worth making the effort!

Tumi

Thanks for the advice, it’s worth the effort as you say and this may go in my favour at the final stages.

Go luck to all attending Glasgow tomorrow

st1995

Thanks for the advice, it’s worth the effort as you say and this may go in my favour at the final stages.

Go luck to all attending Glasgow tomorrow
I just wore smart shoes, black trousers and shirt and tie. A full suit isnt needed dont worry.
The assessor even said we can take the tie off if we want, it was only needed in the CBI and DMI

FH.

I was following your posts on the 2022 intake thread and your advice about the CBI was spot on, really helped.

I think what’s got us 2023 lot excited is the wording of the last email we got. They said offers will be made for courses in October/November. I’m not going to lie but I still think I’m going to get the call with an offer till I remember some of the 2022 lot are still waiting themselves.

Hopefully you’ll be right with the 3-6 month wait.

Hello Ses16,

In your text you mention “a call”, could you please inform me whether they will notify us via phone call instead of email and how do you know this?:)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Ses16

I just wore smart shoes, black trousers and shirt and tie. A full suit isnt needed dont worry.
The assessor even said we can take the tie off if we want, it was only needed in the CBI and DMI
For the assessments, I wore the same tbh. Smart chinos, smart shirt and a pair of smart Adidas Specials. Only for the DMI I went in a suit (no tie).

Hello Ses16,

In your text you mention “a call”, could you please inform me whether they will notify us via phone call instead of email and how do you know this?:)

Thank you in advance!
Hey mate, yes they give you a phone call to let you know when they verbally offer you a place on the course, then a follow up confirmation email subject to medical etc.

I know a friend that was on the 2022 intake and this was how he was notified. Also give the 2022 Avanti intake thread a read, it’s got a lot of good information.

Keep your phone off silent! LOL

FH.

For the assessments, I wore the same tbh. Smart chinos, smart shirt and a pair of smart Adidas Specials. Only for the DMI I went in a suit (no tie).

Hey mate, yes they give you a phone call to let you know when they verbally offer you a place on the course, then a follow up confirmation email subject to medical etc.

I know a friend that was on the 2022 intake and this was how he was notified. Also give the 2022 Avanti intake thread a read, it’s got a lot of good information.

Haha, I see...Well, thank you very much for your response. In that case I'll have to be more careful when answering calls, not assuming it's spam and hanging up before listening

Regards

What happens if you miss the call LoL

Ses16

Haha I’m sure they will try again or leave a voicemail. It’s your place they are calling to offer you. So I’m sure it won’t be a case of “you didn’t pick up, so we’ll offer it to someone else” that’s too harsh.

Haha, I see...Well, thank you very much for your response. In that case I'll have to be more careful when answering calls, not assuming it's spam and hanging up before listening

Regards
I am answering any number that calls me, even private. Not taking any chances lol

FH.

Hello everyone,

It's been quite some time since I sent the requested documents/information (GCSE and period notice dates), and I still haven't received any email confirming that everything is in order.

I was wondering if any of you have received a response or if you are in the same situation as me?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards

SD1

Hello everyone,

It's been quite some time since I sent the requested documents/information (GCSE and period notice dates), and I still haven't received any email confirming that everything is in order.

I was wondering if any of you have received a response or if you are in the same situation as me?

Regards
I have not heard back either. Think it's just a waiting game. Though the email did say offers will start to be made closer to the end of the year. So fingers crossed next communication is a start date.

MD93

Hi all,

Im a Liverpool applicant so just waiting for the next stage of OPC(anyone else in the same boat?).

I might be jumping the gun here but just wondering with regards to the medical once successful, I understand an eye test is part of this.

Does anyone know what the mimunum eye sight requirements are?

Google only points me to really old information.

Thanks!

dayuss

Hello everyone,

Regards
I haven't received anything back either. I'm guessing the next communication will be a phone call this month or next month hopefully confirming start date etc.

Harvinder

My phone has been on airplane mode for a few days,.I have been receiving a lot of scam calls whilst at work. Do you still recieve a voicemail even if your phone is on airplane mode? I don't know much about this sorry!

Ses16

I have not heard back either. Think it's just a waiting game. Though the email did say offers will start to be made closer to the end of the year. So fingers crossed next communication is a start date.
That’s right, you got it. Next communication from Avanti will be your start date.

Just be patient, the email said October/November they’ll start offering course start dates. If it hits December and you ain’t heard anything yet, then I’d come on here to ask if anyone else has.

FH.

Thanks for your answer SD1, its much appreciated

My phone has been on airplane mode for a few days,.I have been receiving a lot of scam calls whilst at work. Do you still recieve a voicemail even if your phone is on airplane mode? I don't know much about this sorry!
When the mobile is either off or in Airplane mode, you can still receive voicemails:) (You can access these messages later when you deactivate Airplane mode).

Last edited:

Harvinder

Thanks for your answer SD1, its much appreciated

When the mobile is either off or in Airplane mode, you can still receive voicemails:) (You can access these messages later when you deactivate Airplane mode).
Thank you!

JohnnyOne

I would hope they would leave a message not sure my current employers would be happy me taking a personal call offering me a job!

JGB3

Manchester applicant here with another non-update today. Just keep on waiting.

19 October 2023

Dear *********

Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Avanti West Coast

Thank you for your continued patience with regards to your application with Avanti West Coast. I’m afraid the only update we have for you is that we are still focusing the recruitment with depots in Scotland, and as such, your application will not be progressed for another few months.

We are discussing with Avanti their training schedules for other depots, so we are hoping that these will be finalised within the next few months so that we can then continue with your application.

Your application and interest with Avanti is still very important to us and as soon as we’re able to progress with your application, then we will do so. We will therefore be back in touch with you as soon as we’re able to.

Thanks

The Occupational Psychology Centre