• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Jquarterz

Manchester applicant here with another non-update today. Just keep on waiting.

19 October 2023

Dear *********

Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Avanti West Coast

Thank you for your continued patience with regards to your application with Avanti West Coast. I’m afraid the only update we have for you is that we are still focusing the recruitment with depots in Scotland, and as such, your application will not be progressed for another few months.

We are discussing with Avanti their training schedules for other depots, so we are hoping that these will be finalised within the next few months so that we can then continue with your application.

Your application and interest with Avanti is still very important to us and as soon as we’re able to progress with your application, then we will do so. We will therefore be back in touch with you as soon as we’re able to.

Thanks

The Occupational Psychology Centre
What stage are you at?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorcerer

Considering how the 2022 shortage largely affected the Manchester depot by literally reducing it's hourly services by a third at best, you would think they would have made that one of their priority depots. But alas several applicants are here still waiting nearly eight months after the vacancies opened.

JGB3

I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the number of driver instructors available. I've been working with a couple of the driver instructors for the last few nights and they each had 2 trainees with them. They also said that Manchester was pretty much at capacity although they were expecting another 30 or so over the next year which would be equivalent of adding another link worth of drivers. They said to keep with it and I should make progress eventually.

Sorcerer

I've heard that it could just as well be hinged on opening the Crewe depot and transfers from other north-west depots. Let's just hope for the aspiring applicants that they'll be going somewhere sooner rather than later.

JGB3

There were quite a lot of drivers at Manchester who put in for the transfer to Crewe and who are approaching retirment.

Also a few who are waiting for a pay deal to be sorted before taking retirment.

boabocs

Thursday last week for me mate and nothing back yet, I suspect we'll definitely hear back before end of next week.
Yeah same here last week in Glasgow. I was hoping to hear today or Monday as they said 7-10 days. Waited this long so whats another few days

RustyRuss

Is there a security gate for polmadie depot or a reception building to aim for? I dont want to turn up next week for assesment and end up aimlessly wandering around trying to work out where to go?

Gman1974

Is there a security gate for polmadie depot or a reception building to aim for? I dont want to turn up next week for assesment and end up aimlessly wandering around trying to work out where to go?
Hi mate, I replied to your pm
There is a security gatehouse before getting onto the site. There is a small staff car park on the other side of the barrier but security are strict, I don't know if you would get parked. The building for the drivers is just behind the security hut, so you don't have to wander too far

boabocs

What stage are you at? My assesment day was in city centre and not at depot

RustyRuss

Stage 2 for Edinburgh buddy, so same as you at the leonardo for stage one and then hopefully youll be at stage 2 as well out at the polmadie depot.

boabocs

Stage 2 for Edinburgh buddy, so same as you at the leonardo for stage one and then hopefully youll be at stage 2 as well out at the polmadie depot.
Well done getting through to stage 2 mate. How long did it take for you to hear back after you completed stage 1 at Leonardo?

RustyRuss

Honestly they were far quicker getting back to me than I expected, they explained their workload at the start of the assesment and said it would be 2-3 weeks but I had an answer in just over a week I think without checking.
But I would also comment that there are so many variables and constantly changing timelines that you cant compare your situation to that of others here. The general theme in this thread seems to be that no news is good news so dont lose heart until you know for sure. Youve done all you can to this point so dont stress about it, I turned any nervous energy to focus on other things until you hear, research the next stages study them get yourself in as strong a position as possible the longer it takes to get a response the more prepared you will be for whatever comes next.

Harvinder

Honestly they were far quicker getting back to me than I expected, they explained their workload at the start of the assesment and said it would be 2-3 weeks but I had an answer in just over a week I think without checking.
But I would also comment that there are so many variables and constantly changing timelines that you cant compare your situation to that of others here. The general theme in this thread seems to be that no news is good news so dont lose heart until you know for sure. Youve done all you can to this point so dont stress about it, I turned any nervous energy to focus on other things until you hear, research the next stages study them get yourself in as strong a position as possible the longer it takes to get a response the more prepared you will be for whatever comes next.
Precisely this, don't get worried. Everything will be fine! Believe in yourself! You are strong!

Andy17connor

Just had my rejection email for Polmadie vacancy, stating I passed national but not enhanced. Gutted, but have to move on. Does anyone have a list of rail that use national as their marker? The OPC list didn't seem to include the likes of Scotrail

Harvinder

Just had my rejection email for Polmadie vacancy, stating I passed national but not enhanced. Gutted, but have to move on. Does anyone have a list of rail that use national as their marker? The OPC list didn't seem to include the likes of Scotrail
Sorry to hear this, I am sure you will find something my friend. Good luck to you!

Tumi

Avanti emails out, passed stage 1 Polmadie, however recruitment for Scotland has been put on hold.

Tumi

Sorry to hear that. Is this your first attempt? Does it list what tests you have failed on?

boabocs

Emailed from Avanti to say ive passed but scottish depots on hold at present. More waiting but gives me more time to prepare

Sorcerer

I find it very bizarre that tests are going out for depots that are then being put on hold. These vacancies first opened up in February and it's been eight months, and people began hearing back in as little as three days after the closing date. Yet still there are people in the thread taking the first tests while many from October 2022 who were successful are either in the talent pool already or have even been placed on a course as early as April which would now be seeing them out of the classroom and now in the cab doing route learning. I wonder if Avanti are dealing with a huge backlog or are hinging a lot of the progress on a Crewe depot that doesn't even seem guaranteed at this point. In either case this must be very frustrating for everyone who has barely progressed beyond the first stages.

RJ95

Hi all, Polmadie applicant here. Just got an email to say I had passed stage 1 pencil and paper tests so obviously very pleased. Well done to all those who have also passed and tough break to those who haven’t this time around. A bit gutted that the recruitment for all Scottish depots has been put on hold, hopefully it will resume in the new year.