• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ses16

I find it very bizarre that tests are going out for depots that are then being put on hold. These vacancies first opened up in February and it's been eight months, and people began hearing back in as little as three days after the closing date. Yet still there are people in the thread taking the first tests while many from October 2022 who were successful are either in the talent pool already or have even been placed on a course as early as April which would now be seeing them out of the classroom and now in the cab doing route learning. I wonder if Avanti are dealing with a huge backlog or are hinging a lot of the progress on a Crewe depot that doesn't even seem guaranteed at this point. In either case this must be very frustrating for everyone who has barely progressed beyond the first stages.
What I am waiting for is this pay deal to be agreed. Then as a few have mentioned, a lot of current drivers are waiting for, so they can retire. Then we’ll see how many positions are available for the trainees.

If avanti have another recruitment campaign come end of this year or start of the next one, then we’ll get a proper gage of how many people they actually need.

RustyRuss

In light of recent forum posts indicating that scottish depots have now been put on hold does anyone know if this weeks aseesments are still taking place, I know of one individual whose asessment had been delayed until next month, currently Im due to attend on friday, is anyone else still presuming that their assesments are proceeding? Edinburgh applicant.

Sorcerer

What I am waiting for is this pay deal to be agreed. Then as a few have mentioned, a lot of current drivers are waiting for, so they can retire. Then we’ll see how many positions are available for the trainees.

If avanti have another recruitment campaign come end of this year or start of the next one, then we’ll get a proper gage of how many people they actually need.
It's hard to say really. I suspect Avanti will probably be accounting for potential retirees before proceeding so they can gauge an idea of how many drivers they need like you said. Unfortunately though I don't expect them to recruit for any more trainees any time soon, though some depots are probably more likely than others. Small ones like Liverpool or the Scottish depots probably won't need to, but Euston will probably need a few more eventually seeing as it's the largest one with the most links. I'm sure anyone currently going through this process right now will get there eventually though, it's probably just a frustrating wait more than anything.

FManc

I wouldn’t envisage any further “major” recruitment campaigns for a while now! That’s the impression I got from some comms I’d seen.

Albigularis

In light of recent forum posts indicating that scottish depots have now been put on hold does anyone know if this weeks aseesments are still taking place, I know of one individual whose asessment had been delayed until next month, currently Im due to attend on friday, is anyone else still presuming that their assesments are proceeding? Edinburgh applicant.
I’d like to think they would have told us by now if we weren’t to go. I passed the assessment day you were at too. I was the one in the non-ironed shirt! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to Friday but nervous about the interview for sure…

RustyRuss

Somebody would have to say to me look that person hasnt ironed their shirt for me to notice, shirts and smart attire arent something thats prevalent in my current life so mine was brand new and hence also un-ironed! I had a couple of questions about the day anyway so I emailed the admin team and as far as I am aware it is going ahead, I would have liked a little longer to get to grips with the interview as well, formal interviews are also something that I have no real experience of so that will be a learning curve. I suppose at the moment the OPC are filtering out alll of the unsuitable applicants and if we dont meet their criteria then perhaps were wouldnt be happy in the role anyway. I dont know if that analogy helps ease nerves at all, but Im going to take an honest approach to their questions with that in mind and to me it seems to lift the pressure a bit.

LarryBD

Failed stage 1. I'm absolutely gutted but tbh I knew it when I walked out. Passed advanced in tests 1,2 and 4 but I knew 3 let me down. It was really weird. It was easy enough, but I hit a wall after finding the first 2 easy because I'd worked for them so much, that I couldn't get into a flow in test 3 and work quickly enough. Very frustrating. I knew exactly what the feedback was going to be when I got the phonecall.

Bus mechanic

Failed stage 1. I'm absolutely gutted but tbh I knew it when I walked out. Passed advanced in tests 1,2 and 4 but I knew 3 let me down. It was really weird. It was easy enough, but I hit a wall after finding the first 2 easy because I'd worked for them so much, that I couldn't get into a flow in test 3 and work quickly enough. Very frustrating. I knew exactly what the feedback was going to be when I got the phonecall.
Just think of it as experience next time you will smash it

RustyRuss

I know this is an extremely variable process but I shall ask anyway, if you have been successful with your CBI roughly how long have you waited for the DMI?
Im want to start preparing myself for it but im a tad superstitious and as such Ive tried my best not to get too carried away and concentrate on the next stages until I get there. I think if I started to research it and start gearing up it would be pretty gut wrenching to find out id failed the cbi.

I know this is an extremely variable process but I shall ask anyway, if you have been successful with your CBI roughly how long have you waited for the DMI?
Im want to start preparing myself for it but im a tad superstitious and as such Ive tried my best not to get too carried away and concentrate on the next stages until I get there. I think if I started to research it and start gearing up it would be pretty gut wrenching to find out id failed the cbi.
I think it depends on a number of things. You may hear back quickly if the business has a specific demand and staff available for the DMI process. Personally I would take each stage at a time. Put all your energy and focus into the CBI…. If successful apply the same method to your DMI.

RustyRuss

I think it depends on a number of things. You may hear back quickly if the business has a specific demand and staff available for the DMI process. Personally I would take each stage at a time. Put all your energy and focus into the CBI…. If successful apply the same method to your DMI.
Thanks for your response, thats the approach I have adopted thus far and I sat my CBI on friday so awaiting those results and trying not to get ahead of myself.

RustyRuss

Thats fridays results starting to come through, Its going to take a superhuman effort to concentrate at work now.
I passed the cbi! Best of luck to everyone else who attended on the day.

Harvinder

Thats fridays results starting to come through, Its going to take a superhuman effort to concentrate at work now.
Congratulations you earned it mate!

Aviator88

Well done, brilliant feeling isn't it!

RustyRuss

Well done, brilliant feeling isn't it!
It is a wonderful feeling, its starting to feel very real now, Im a very humble person and to have gotten at least within touching distance has filled me with pride.
Ill keep my head down and concentrate on the next stage for now, but its getting harder and harder not to dream about what could be.

boabocs

Polmadie applicant through to stage 2 however on hold at present. Im preparing for the CBI and wondering if any the guys on here can help out with the structure of the CBI and advise how similar it is to the information pack the OPC have sent out. Not asking for the questions asked but just around the structure and the subjects that the questions covered. Any help would be appreciated.

dvb

Got my email for 20th November has anyone else received theirs the preparation booklet seems relentless 72 pages