• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter0124

Established Member
Avanti should run a service to Blackpool from Glasgow it’d be extremely popular
I can't see that happening though cause it would require a reversal (and potentially even a crew change as I am unsure whether Polmadie sign Blackpool) at Preston and also rather wasteful of a Pendolino. Would be better if they had a good interchange setup though.

Trackman

Established Member
Back to the refurbished Pendolino, are the above diagrams every day (M-F only?) or is it moving round a bit?

Would be particularly interested in where it might be this coming Bank Holiday Monday, if it'll be out, as I might be able to work a ride into my existing plans.
In my experience they move about a bit.
Even on the day if the diagram is on RTT, it could be changed mid-way through or at short notice.
I suppose they will nurse it for a couple of weeks so chances are it will stick to the diagram.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In my experience they move about a bit.
Even on the day if the diagram is on RTT, it could be changed mid-way through or at short notice.
I suppose they will nurse it for a couple of weeks so chances are it will stick to the diagram.

Ooh, I've just noticed that you can search for a unit number on RTT! Though unfortunately Avanti isn't showing unit numbers, today at least, I'm sure they have in the past.

_toommm_

Established Member
Ooh, I've just noticed that you can search for a unit number on RTT! Though unfortunately Avanti isn't showing unit numbers, today at least, I'm sure they have in the past.

Looks to be working for me:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ah yes, it was because I was in basic mode, it doesn't show there. Unfortunately it doesn't list all the diagrams for a unit, just the one it's currently on, but it's not hard to work out what it does next I suppose.

Shall have a nose on Monday. I guess there's a chance it won't be out as the unit requirement will be well down with services only operating to/from MKC (which should make it lovely and quiet!)

_toommm_

Established Member
Ah yes, it was because I was in basic mode, it doesn't show there. Unfortunately it doesn't list all the diagrams for a unit, just the one it's currently on, but it's not hard to work out what it does next I suppose.

Shall have a nose on Monday. I guess there's a chance it won't be out as the unit requirement will be well down with services only operating to/from MKC (which should make it lovely and quiet!)

I guess the one good thing about a fleet mainly comprising of nine and eleven car sets is that there's no splitting or joining, and it's pretty easy to see where a train is going next as it's likely to be the only train on that particular platform.

HarryL

Avanti have tweeted a photo of the old interior with the text "Big news dropping tomorrow", so it's pretty much confirmed they'll be showing off the new refurb tomorrow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Avanti have tweeted a photo of the old interior with the text "Big news dropping tomorrow", so it's pretty much confirmed they'll be showing off the new refurb tomorrow.

Presumably pretending that it didn't already get dropped on the sly :D

I'm more up for a ride. Not tried those seats yet and it appears there could be a considerable upgrade of legroom.

Trackman

Established Member

I suppose another way (and probably easier way) on the day is to filter MKC to passenger calls only and VT (Avanti) as the TOC and click on the services for the unit number.
Someone asked Avanti on twitter (Friday?) and they confirmed it with a smiley face, then the tweet disappeared
I'm more up for a ride. Not tried those seats yet and it appears there could be a considerable upgrade of legroom.
Can't wait to see what people think of the new standard seats, or even First come to think of it.
--
As all the panels have been removed and replaced, I wonder if it rattles like mad like with the original roll-out... Bits of cardboard at the ready again!

mmh

Established Member
It seems a shame to run diesel trains on a fully electrified route
If it's a shame because of carbon emissions, apparently in the year before Covid electric trains caused more than diesel trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If it's a shame because of carbon emissions, apparently in the year before Covid electric trains caused more than diesel trains.

Given that Network Rail is nominally 100% nuclear/renewable I'd be interested to know how this was worked out. (Yes, I know no form of generation is carbon-free - you do after all need vans driving round to maintain the wires, for instance).

It isn't just carbon, though; a nose full of particulates as a filthy, ageing DMU pulls into your station is not nice. New St is particularly bad, as is Manchester Victoria.

Chiltern006

Presumably pretending that it didn't already get dropped on the sly :D

if lumo is anything to go on, the legroom is very very good. a good 15cm (similar to a bog standard IET)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
if lumo is anything to go on, the legroom is very very good. a good 15cm (similar to a bog standard IET)

I think it will add about 2" to legroom based on looking at pictures of the seats (we already know the seat layout is unchanged, and if I recall the converted first class is a reversed mirror of coach E). This will be very welcome indeed. I quite like the idea of fitting in all seats rather than just priority seats!

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I'm on the refurbished pendolino right now. On 1F12 out of Euston. Its phenomenal. Honestly insane. What a great start to the day. Did not expect that at all.

Skie

Press release, with some decent interior shots: https://newsdesk.avantiwestcoast.co...ils-as-part-of-uks-biggest-ever-train-upgrade

The first fully refurbished Avanti West Coast Pendolino enters service follow multi million pound upgrade.
    • First ‘as new’ train due back in service following transformation
    • £117m investment set to deliver step change in onboard experience for Avanti West Coast customers
    • Upgrade will add more than 2,000 extra Standard Class seats
Avanti West Coast’s first refurbished Pendolino has returned to service after being transformed as part of the UK’s biggest train upgrade.

Also includes images of the seat occupancy being displayed on the PIS, as well as the seat occupancy cameras mounted in the ceiling. And wireless chargers on slippy looking tables, should be lots of phones on the floor :lol:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Has anyone possibly managed to get any photos of the new shop layout?

I see it's briefly featured in the video Skie has linked to.

Skie

Has anyone possibly managed to get any photos of the new shop layout?

I see it's briefly featured in the video Skie has linked to.
EE8EBAA3-A732-4AD4-9CBA-05BF97BDA829.jpeg
There’s this one from the press pack. Bonus window with the removal of the fridge!

tornado

"Calm lighting" - warm glow - THANKS AVANTI. This is one of the most important aspects of comfort when travelling, and one where the harsh sterile-lit 800x stock fall short.

I think Avanti might have actually listened to customers here, because every single other TOC seems to slap in some lights they borrowed from a hospital operating theatre on their refurbs/new trains.

HarryL

It's all rather a nice much needed improvement. It's been mentioned here before when photo's leaked but there's some odd omissions they didn't touch like the reservation stickers still being old and red, not sure how that works when they added more seats.