• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bardic Lamp Bulb Installation

glenn

I've removed the bulb and two clips.
Guess what, i can't remember how to put back together to secure the bulb.
Picture attached of the 3 pieces.
Any help please.
IMG_8015.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I have just taken mine apart as if to replace the bulb.

1. The black plastic piece in the pic, and the spring clip should not need to be removed. I'm not even sure how you did that.
2: Yes, you appear to be missing the central part of the reflector.

The process should be/have been
- if it's a multi colour lamp, set it to white = no filter over the bulb
- remove rubber ring and "glass"
- remove the large part of the reflector; that should be loose
- remove the spring-attached central part of the reflector
- exchange the bulb (which should be loose)
- replace central part of the reflector
- replace the large part of the reflector
- replace the rubber ring and glass.

Unless this is a single colour model (which it appears to be) and unless they had a one-piece reflector. On that I'm not sure. I have never seen one in the flesh, and I don't see any online images that don't have the same two-piece as mine. But I'm guessing that the process would be the same but removing the entire reflector in one go.

So I think the first thing you need to do is replace the spring and the black plastic ring into your lamp, and leave them there.

Here is a pic I found online that shows a part dismantled mechanism. It's not the best illustration of these parts in place but you should be able to see the edge/side of that spring clip.

1713076097256.png

glenn

I have just taken mine apart as if to replace the bulb.

1. The black plastic piece in the pic, and the spring clip should not need to be removed. I'm not even sure how you did that.
2: Yes, you appear to be missing the central part of the reflector.

The process should be/have been
- if it's a multi colour lamp, set it to white = no filter over the bulb
- remove rubber ring and "glass"
- remove the large part of the reflector; that should be loose
- remove the spring-attached central part of the reflector
- exchange the bulb (which should be loose)
- replace central part of the reflector
- replace the large part of the reflector
- replace the rubber ring and glass.

Unless this is a single colour model (which it appears to be) and unless they had a one-piece reflector. On that I'm not sure. I have never seen one in the flesh, and I don't see any online images that don't have the same two-piece as mine. But I'm guessing that the process would be the same but removing the entire reflector in one go.

So I think the first thing you need to do is replace the spring and the black plastic ring into your lamp, and leave them there.

Here is a pic I found online that shows a part dismantled mechanism. It's not the best illustration of these parts in place but you should be able to see the edge/side of that spring clip.

View attachment 156393
Many thanks for this. I took apart to respray, so i will look for the reflector to refit. It was a antique shop purchase, so actually wondering if it had the reflector !

glenn

So i'm still unsure after all peoples help.
I've looked again at the pieces i have, and they are as follows.....
What's missing, so i can reassemble ?IMG_8026.JPGIMG_8015.JPG

Ashley Hill

Established Member
You appear to have no colour filters in your lamp and your reflector doesn’t have an oblong hole to accommodate them. Here’s some pictures of mine to show the differences.
IMG_1621.jpegIMG_1620.jpegIMG_1619.jpeg

Last edited:

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I have taken a still from the video above which shows the correct location of the spring clip and the little black plastic thing.

1713273023232.png

The presenter has the removed bulb holder assembly in his hand. You should be able to see that the spring clip you have should be on the back of the bulb holder assembly, so you are going to have to pull the entire "mechanism" out of the lamp and dismantle it to refit it. It can't say how it's attached. And I can't exactly place the black plastic thing you have; perhaps that's surrounding the front of the lamp holder. You may glean more if you carefully watch the video, esp., the second half.

If it's as the multi-colour lamps are, your reflector will have its own spring clip on the back, to engage with the pictured one you are trying to fit. Can't see that from your picture.

I'm basing this on my own, colour lamp which is the same as the one in the video. It may be there are more differences with the single colour item. Such as (and this is a guess only) the black plastic component might go on the back of the reflector (eg if it doesn't have its own spring retainer) to hold the bulb in place. Without seeing one exactly like yours in the flesh, I'm struggling to imagine and making assumptions based on my own.

P.S. Managed to grab another still:

1713273930693.png

John Webb

Established Member
I think the clip can replaced on the back of the lampholder from behind, as you don't have the revolving colour mechanism in the way.
The bulb is placed in the holder and the small black piece goes over the bulb and is held in place by the spring clip to keep the bulb in place.

ComUtoR

Established Member
You appear to have no colour filters in your lamp and your reflector doesn’t have an oblong hole to accommodate them. Here’s some pictures of mine to show the differences.
View attachment 156536

I turned mine on for the first time in years and it works !

For the life of me I cannot get that Silver bulb bit out (between the cover and the rear reflector). I know it used to pop out and its basically a spring clip but it just wont budge. Pretty sure there was a 'trick to it' ?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I turned mine on for the first time in years and it works !

For the life of me I cannot get that Silver bulb bit out (between the cover and the rear reflector). I know it used to pop out and its basically a spring clip but it just wont budge. Pretty sure there was a 'trick to it' ?
Usually extracted by holding the small reflector between thumb and forefinger either side of the bulb and pulling, you may need to jiggle it too. If its jammed you may need to remove the whole interior from the lamp ,three screws on top and one on the switch.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Cheers Ashley. I've wiggled, jiggled and swiggled. Next comes the percussion.

It's been sitting there for a few years (found an email from 2011 where we changed to Halos) and never been used.