• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barrier encoding - difference between magnetic and barcode tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When ticket gates are being set up to read barcoded e-tickets, are they configured entirely separately from magnetic tickets? Had a surprising experience at St Pancras today using a barcode ticket for the first time where the equivalent magstripe ticket works fine, but my e-ticket was rejected with an error suggesting it wasn't valid at that location. (it's quite a common ticket to be used into St Pancras - I've Tweeted EMR with the details so hopefully they'll get it fixed).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
When ticket gates are being set up to read barcoded e-tickets, are they configured entirely separately from magnetic tickets? Had a surprising experience at St Pancras today using a barcode ticket for the first time where the equivalent magstripe ticket works fine, but my e-ticket was rejected with an error suggesting it wasn't valid at that location. (it's quite a common ticket to be used into St Pancras - I've Tweeted EMR with the details so hopefully they'll get it fixed).

As far as I know, at least for some gatelines (or gateline manufacturers), the logic is set up separately for magstripe and barcode so you can get very different results. See e.g. this thread:-

island

Veteran Member
And “not valid at this location” is just the default error message when the gate doesn’t know what to do. For years the gates on VTEC (as was) would give that error for any Two Together Railcard discounted ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.