• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Been offered a trainee drivers job with SE. Any tips? Money questions too!

roastyduck

After wanting it forever I've finally been offered a trainee driver job with Southeastern. Over the moon however it appeared from nowhere and around a month from receiving a call about doing the assesment I've had the job offer so little time to prepare but we work under pressure none the less.

SE have an awkward pay structure I'm internal so I'll go down about 5.5k a year on the start and gradually rise however ive had no time to really financially prepare, I've got a little saved up but I'm not a homeowner and I live in quite a nice expensive place. My landlord (he hates when i call him that he prefers the term friend) is mega supportive and is happy to take a hit on rent until I'm at a stage where I can afford to pay it all, thats if i get to a point where I can't afford it but fingers crossed I don't. How did you guys prepare for the hit on wages if you had one?

Regarding training and driving hours, does anyone know the average driving hours people tend to pass at? I know everyone's different I'd like to think of myself as fairly competent.

Lastly, do you think it would be worth getting out in my free time before my position starts just to try and learn some routes better? I've got 2 weeks until the start date, I currently work between trains and stations so I do have pretty good knowledge of routes but I wouldn't say I've taken enough in to tell you when we're approaching most stations on a route.

Any tips are certainly welcome, I want to go into this with some knowledge to help me along the way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Samzino

Congrats!, I'd say enjoy the break, don't over prepare as it's a 1 year course and very indepth you won't miss anything. The extra work will be done come course start.

Grvrdvicdr

Hours to pass depends on depot, I passed at 260 but that’s because of quite a large route card.

Don’t prepare for anything. Being internal you know the basics. Leave it at that

Efini92

Established Member
Regarding training and driving hours, does anyone know the average driving hours people tend to pass at? I know everyone's different I'd like to think of myself as fairly competent.
It’s not like learning to drive a car.
There’s a minimum number of hours you must achieve before you are able to pass out. It varies slightly between TOC’s but you’re looking at around 220/230 hours.

skyhigh

Established Member
As above, there is a requirement to complete a certain number of hours. You don't pass out 'when you feel ready'.
Lastly, do you think it would be worth getting out in my free time before my position starts just to try and learn some routes better?
Absolutely not. If anything it's more likely to hinder your progress rather than help it.

driver9000

Established Member
Congratulations on securing the job. Enjoy the calm before the storm and relax because the course is designed to take you from the front door of the school to your first solo turn without any prior experience or knowledge. You're looking at 12 months training period with a lot of work to do before even thinking about being passed out and there will be a set standard of minimum hours to attain before they'll even consider it. There is also no point going out over routes as you will learn everything you need to know during your practical handling.

Twotwo

Route learning is the most difficult part I'd say. I wouldn't get too ahead of anything yet but when you are with an instructor, find the best way to learn the breaking points and breaking down the route. For me, I drew up a map with key details about where I can be put across, speeds, stations etc. Everyone learns in their own ways.
When your instructor is on leave, perhaps go with another instructor or front end with other drivers. This will speed up the process.

roastyduck

Great replies thank you!

Ours state I think 255 hours minimum, quite looking forward to starting, I'm working most mon-fri until the 9th them I'm off till the 14th when I start so little relaxation time but I'll try my best

Twotwo

The only way you could speed up 'the process' is when your route learning and getting a head start. Be proactive, go on track access, front end with drivers, make lots of notes. The more you put I'm, the more easier it gets. Best of luck!

felixflyer

Out of interest did they mention anything about the bonded period? I believe there is a time you need to stay there once qualified or you will be paying back your training fee.

AverageJoe

You can’t speed anything up. 255 is 255 and as long as you put in effort during those hours you will easily be ready for passout at the end of the 255.

Most people are ready to fly the nest before the hours are up.

The only people I that were still struggling at the end of the hours were those that put absolutely no effort in.

First few days/weeks I didn’t even worry about route knowledge at all, just got to grips with train handling and the awkward shifts.

After that I would write out my junctions, stations, controlling SB, line names, viaducts, tunnels in order from point to point in small sections that covered my whole route eventually.

I still refer to it today if one slips my mind.

Another thing I did and still do is refer to company route training videos and I always keep a file of full taps maps with me and also micks maps in case I would for some reason forget a speed or need to make a new move/shunt on the fly.

Bolero

Another thing I did and still do is refer to company route training videos and I always keep a file of full taps maps with me and also micks maps in case I would for some reason forget a speed or need to make a new move/shunt on the fly.
Taps maps? Micks maps?

driver9000

Established Member
Taps maps? Micks maps?

TAP (Track Access Productions) supply route learning material such as maps and videos. Micks maps were produced years ago by a Driver called Mick which were very good but I don't know if he kept them up to date as it's a long time since I've looked at them.

That is excellent advice too. I also keep a selection of maps mainly of complex areas or locations we don't shunt regularly in my bag just in case something comes up. One thing I certainly don't believe in is the line "you'll never do this move" sometimes uttered when route learning.

Last edited:

Twotwo

TAP (Track Access Productions) supply route learning material such as maps and videos. Micks maps were produced years ago by a Driver called Mick which were very good but I don't know if he kept them up to date as it's a long time since I've looked at them.

That is excellent advice too. I also keep a selection of maps mainly of complex areas or locations we don't shunt regularly in my bag just in case something comes up. One thing I certainly don't believe in is the line "you'll never do this move" sometimes uttered when route learning.

Don't you have a route guide for that? At GTR we do so I always refer to them for any unusual moves

AverageJoe

I can confirm mick does update his maps, although I do prefer the larger taps maps. It’s heavier to carry but worth it’s weight in gold if it keeps you in a job

kourblimey

After wanting it forever I've finally been offered a trainee driver job with Southeastern. Over the moon however it appeared from nowhere and around a month from receiving a call about doing the assesment I've had the job offer so little time to prepare but we work under pressure none the less.

SE have an awkward pay structure I'm internal so I'll go down about 5.5k a year on the start and gradually rise however ive had no time to really financially prepare, I've got a little saved up but I'm not a homeowner and I live in quite a nice expensive place. My landlord (he hates when i call him that he prefers the term friend) is mega supportive and is happy to take a hit on rent until I'm at a stage where I can afford to pay it all, thats if i get to a point where I can't afford it but fingers crossed I don't. How did you guys prepare for the hit on wages if you had one?

Lastly, do you think it would be worth getting out in my free time before my position starts just to try and learn some routes better? I've got 2 weeks until the start date, I currently work between trains and stations so I do have pretty good knowledge of routes but I wouldn't say I've taken enough in to tell you when we're approaching most stations on a route.

Any tips are certainly welcome, I want to go into this with some knowledge to help me along the way.
Congrats on the job offer! May I ask which depot this is for?

Bolero

I can confirm mick does update his maps, although I do prefer the larger taps maps. It’s heavier to carry but worth it’s weight in gold if it keeps you in a job
How can you get Mick's maps? He doesn't come up on a Google search

roastyduck

Congrats on the job offer! May I ask which depot this is for?
Ashford.

I saw your other post, I guess you're not internal? The medical company that we use can be hit and miss. Sometimes it's fast sometimes it takes months to get an appointment. Bit of an awkward walk from London bridge station, I miss the old place at Waterloo, so much easier to get to