• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Tram event 26th & 27th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
On the weekend of 26th and 27th September, there is an event marking the 130th anniversary of the Blackpool Tramway, with all operational heritage trams running. Highlights include heritage trams running to Fleetwood, non-operational trams on display at Rigby Road depot and (of interest to any track bashers) hourly depot tours running from Rigby Road depot to Starr Gate depot (loop and washing plant), via the Hopton Road and reversing at North Pier.

The depot tours (cost £5) need to be pre-booked on 01253 209521 and speak to Emma.

http://www.britishtramsonline.co.uk/news/?p=12162

For travel on all other trams a day rover is £10 (pay on the day)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
According to their Facebook page, as of last night all the depot tours were fully booked. Good job I got mine booked at the beginning of this week!

Should be an excellent weekend.

680 is visiting from Heaton Park - it arrived a few weeks ago.

Comstock

Forgive the lack of detail here, but does anyone know what year the yellow single deck tram was? It looked more recent than the others.

Chrism20

Established Member
Forgive the lack of detail here, but does anyone know what year the yellow single deck tram was? It looked more recent than the others.

There was a plain yellow Centenary (Either 642 or 644 IIRC) tram operated right up to the very last day of the old tramway, it had Metro Coastlines logos at either end but other than that it was plain yellow I think. It was one of the ones that were built during the previous tramway upgrade in the mid 1980s.

I'm not sure when I was painted yellow though sorry.

Last edited:

Comstock

Yes this was 642. Absolutely appalling leg room for anyone with even averagely long legs mind you! I rode it all the way from the pleasure beach to fleetwood and it was certainly a relief to get off and stretch my legs...

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
642 was built in 1986.

648 was also running today; built in 1987.

They also had 13 rather than the planned 12 of the new trams running today; however one failed ( 012 ) mid afternoon and another ( 014 ) was put into service as a replacement, so it was possible to get 14 Flexity haulages today if you were lucky! I wasn't; I hadn't got to 012 before it had it's wobbly.

I gather they also have a special guest tram in from somewhere for the event?

Answered my own question:

The guest tram is one of their old ones borrowed back from a museum, 680, in ex works condition.

The "scruffy surprise" mentioned on their website was unrebuilt Balloon tram 723.

I loaded a few short clips from the event onto YouTube last night while waiting for the eclipse; and they can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ44G9-VwrEIb2FkBDUKejg

More to follow when I get time over the next few days.

Last edited:

Galvanize

I was there for most of Saturday and Sunday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So good that the stops could be pulled out to make it happen, really did feel like the old days (well, pre Flexcity revolution anyway!). Personal highlights were riding Balloon 717 from Pleasure Beach to Little Bispham and back to North Pier, and riding the Twin sets Trailer first on the Northernmost sections of the line. Also rode Frigate 736 on one of the Saturday evening Illuminations Tours. Also got a few of the Wetherspoons done, the one in Cleveleys was quite conveniently located when doing Fleetwood trips! In between doing the Heritage tours and the Illuminations run, popped into the Pump and Truncheon, a nice quiet pub tucked away from the busy Promanade!

I saw the Unimog heading up the Promanade, it did look a little ominous, a few comments of "Oh, something's jacked...!" were uttered among my small crowd...then about 30 minutes later, saw 706 Princess Alice being towed past the Tower. Poor thing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/66373231@N07/21767255752/in/album-72157658791306710/

I think the powers that be, had missed a trick by not putting a Heritage stop in place at somewhere like Central Pier or even Manchester Square, would of made it much easier for those wanting to have a look at Rigby Road Depot without having to get off and wait for a packed Flexcity.

Certainly got my moneys worth from the £10 all day tickets though, most of the drivers and conductors were really friendly too. All I can say...in case anyone from Blackpool Transport Services happens to be reading this...can we have this every year, a big Heritage Tram lash-up with full line trips besides the Promanade/Cabin shorts?!

Status
Not open for further replies.