• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Boeing 747-8 to be scrapped after less than 40 hours in the air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
On Friday 15th April, a ten-year old Boeing 747-8i was ferried from Basle to Marana, Arizona where it is expected to be parted out. What makes this even more remarkable is the airframe has fewer than 40 flying hours on it. N458BJ was built in 2012 and initially stored for a short while at San Bernardino, California and San Antonio, Texas before being flown to Basle for cabin fitting at the end of that year. Built as a BBJ (Boeing Business Jet), it was originally going to the Saudi Royal Family, but was not taken on. It has languished in Switzerland for almost a decade, but with no airline needing more 747-8i airframes, no freighter conversion program for the 747-8, and no wealthy individual wanting it as a private jet, this incredibly costly and hardly flown aircraft‘s future is almost certainly being reduced to spares ans then being sceapped.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I saw something about the 777 ordered by the previous President of Mexico being up for sale because the current incumbent thinks it's too opulent, and finding no buyers. I guess with a surplus of aircraft after Covid, a non-standard fitout of a non-current design is not going to be in demand - especially as a large number of potential users of large private jets have just dropped out of the market.

najaB

Veteran Member
I saw something about the 777 ordered by the previous President of Mexico being up for sale because the current incumbent thinks it's too opulent, and finding no buyers.
I thought it was a 787?

Status
Not open for further replies.