• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Booking train tickets for friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marionaki

Hi
I need some advice. Friends of mine are coming to London for a holiday from South Africa and they also want to visit relatives in Swansea.
I want to book train tickets for them online and then I would collect the tickets at the self service machine at the train station or maybe they can be posted to my address.
I know that my name will be somewhere on the tickets and also I think the last digits of my card.
Are they able to travel on these tickets without me being present? And do they have to take my card with them?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

button_boxer

Established Member
Only print-at-home tickets would have any part of your card number printed on them, tickets you collect from a machine won't have and it's fine to buy tickets for someone else.

What's not allowed is for one person to part-use a ticket and then give it to someone else to use the remaining validity. Buying a ticket specifically for someone else to use is perfectly legal.

Marionaki

Only print-at-home tickets would have any part of your card number printed on them, tickets you collect from a machine won't have and it's fine to buy tickets for someone else.

What's not allowed is for one person to part-use a ticket and then give it to someone else to use the remaining validity. Buying a ticket specifically for someone else to use is perfectly legal.

Thanks for your reply. I just found a reservation coupon which I used in July and it was printed at the self service machine. It had my last name at the bottom.
Another ticket which was posted to me, didnt have my name on it.

I don't want my friends getting into trouble in case they are being asked for ID by the ticket conductor.

Flamingo

Established Member
That's fine, you are acting as their agent, in the same way a PA will buy tickets for their boss. The only responsibility on you is to tell them of any restrictions on their tickets, they wouldn't be able to use "My friend bought them" as an excuse.

Last edited:

Marionaki

Now I saw some really cheap Megabus tickets. I think I will get a reference number after booking and then I give the number to my friends? Would that be all? I never booked tickets with Megabus/train for myself, so I don't know how it works.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, just write down the reference number, which is all that is needed for Megabus.

It may be better to do a screen grab and ask your friends to print it out, but it is not essential.

Panda

I did exactly what you did for friends who came over in August (booked it in my name, collected the tickets using my card and they travelled on their own to Edinburgh). Other than worrying whether they actually got on the right train, there were no issues whatsoever.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for your reply. I just found a reservation coupon which I used in July and it was printed at the self service machine. It had my last name at the bottom.
The name is of the purchaser.
I don't want my friends getting into trouble in case they are being asked for ID by the ticket conductor.
Only certain types of e-tickets require ID. I advise avoiding e-tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.