• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Books on Merchant Navy Class locos - recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi all

I'm looking for a good book on the Merchant Navy class as a gift for my dad. A friend suggested this as linked below, but the friend had not actually seen the book, just noticed it in a list of publications

Transport Treasury, Compiled by Hector Maxwell

The Bulleid Merchant Navy Class - Original and Rebuilt​

Occurs to me to ask the forum if any Merchant Navy aficionados on here have any recommendations of books about the class so I can weigh up the options.

If anyone has Mr Maxwell's book, I'd be interested in what you think of it, as it certainly looks interesting.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Sunset

Established Member
Depends on what depth you want to go into the MNs. This offering looks to be more a lightweight picture-type of book. Haven't seen it myself; just the vibes I get from the publisher's speel.

Lots have been written about the class. The following can be recommended (not all in print though):

Bulleid's Pacifics D W Winkworth (1974) George Allen & Unwin
Locomotives of the SR part 2 D L Bradley (1976) RCTS
Bulleid Power A J Fry (1990) Sutton Publishing
The Book of the MN Pacifics R Derry (2001) Irwell Press

WesternLancer

Established Member
Depends on what depth you want to go into the MNs. This offering looks to be more a lightweight picture-type of book. Haven't seen it myself; just the vibes I get from the publisher's speel.

Lots have been written about the class. The following can be recommended (not all in print though):

Thanks @Western Sunset . Helpful advice. I see they are all obtainable even if out of print via second hand options, so that is helpful.

Harvester

Established Member

Winkworth is an excellent read, although roughly half of the book consists of performance logs. Suspect it is now long out of print, my copy was acquired second hand about twenty years ago.

deltic14

I have the book of the MN Pacifics by R Derry. It is very detailed and covers a lot of technical stuff as well as individual locomotive histories. If you want dates of livery and tender type changes then this is the book to go for. I would also rate the RCTS book on the bullied Pacifics Although long out of print you often find copies in second hand book sellers at heritage railways.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Winkworth is an excellent read, although roughly half of the book consists of performance logs. Suspect it is now long out of print, my copy was acquired second hand about twenty years ago.
Thanks for that insight - helpful. I note it is available on line at reasonable price second hand.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I have the book of the MN Pacifics by R Derry. It is very detailed and covers a lot of technical stuff as well as individual locomotive histories. If you want dates of livery and tender type changes then this is the book to go for. I would also rate the RCTS book on the bullied Pacifics Although long out of print you often find copies in second hand book sellers at heritage railways.
Thanks - also helpful to read that.

Appreciate these insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.