• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bowes Railway

Egg Centric

I'd be interesting in canvassing the opinions of anyone who's visited the Bowes Railway recently, with a view to deciding whether I go to see it or not. I have a preliminary view but I won't share it yet to avoid biasing the thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
I'd never heard of it, so thank you for the information.

If it only opens on Tuesday and Thursday as the site claims, this makes it hard for people of working age (or international visitors like me) to visit even if we wanted to.

Is it lack of volunteers that stops it opening on weekends?

timj

I live locally, but I would never think of visiting wthout checking first as opening has been sporadic for years. It used to be open every weekend when I was a teenager in the 1980's and new cafe / shop was built and a large public carpark. There was also the extension to Wrekenton incinerator (!) and regular incline winding demonstrations. But since then it seems to slumber for months or years then open again for a week or so then back to slumber!

D Williams

I'd be interesting in canvassing the opinions of anyone who's visited the Bowes Railway recently, with a view to deciding whether I go to see it or not. I have a preliminary view but I won't share it yet to avoid biasing the thread.
I suggest you have a look at Tripadvisor. It's an Industrial Archaeology site, not an operating railway. I haven't been for a long time but I wouldn't expect it to be bright and shining given all of the challenges in running a historical site such as this. I would visit again if in the area but not travel hundreds of miles to get there. If you want a train ride then it's not the place to go. There is more history and provenance in this than most heritage railways.

bramling

Veteran Member

Yes it is worth visiting, however it’s worth attempting to check with them first as it’s all rather hit and miss. Otherwise I’d definitely have a “plan B” lined up, especially if travelling far.

Bill57p9

The Bowes Railway is a new one on me too, and I often pass Bowes so will have to plan a visit.

Close by, I do recommend the Eden Valley Railway: not a massive Centre there but my son and I were made extremely welcome and given a thorough bespoke tour by one of the enthusiastic volunteers.

StoneRoad

Check with the Bowes Railway directly for opening times [I'm not sure if they are operating trains]

If you need a plan B then both Beamish and Tanfield are both fairly close ... and there are several others slightly further away.
Apart from Beamish, I would strongly advise checking directly with any other establishment !

Dave S 56F

I suggest you have a look at Tripadvisor. It's an Industrial Archaeology site, not an operating railway. I haven't been for a long time but I wouldn't expect it to be bright and shining given all of the challenges in running a historical site such as this. I would visit again if in the area but not travel hundreds of miles to get there. If you want a train ride then it's not the place to go. There is more history and provenance in this than most heritage railways.
The Tanfield railway south tynedale narrow gauge railway and stephenson steam railway near percy main are the 3 I would recommend in the N.E. area for a ride behind a industrial steam loco.