• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Buying a return ticket for 2 people with 1 Disabled Railcard on the Avanti app

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Right, so I'm getting a Disabled Railcard next week. If I book tickets with Thameslink, LNW or Caledonian Sleeper, you just say you have 1 disabled railard (which covers two people), on Avanti you have to say you have 2 Disabled Railcards, is this correct? And do any other TOCs do this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Right, so I'm getting a Disabled Railcard next week. If I book tickets with Thameslink, LNW or Caledonian Sleeper, you just say you have 1 disabled railard (which covers two people), on Avanti you have to say you have 2 Disabled Railcards, is this correct? And do any other TOCs do this?

One disabled Railcard allows for a carer to travel as well. Yet another reason Avanti's website is awful. Just don't use it - if you want a seat selector use Trainsplit.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You can buy tickets for all TOCs other than Caledonian Sleepers on any website. It's probably best to stick to whichever one works best for you. And, as noted above, that probably won't be Avanti!

gray1404

Established Member
I wonder how many people then have inputted a two adults search onto AWC website with 1 disabled persons Railcard and not realised that only one ticket has been discounted when it should de facto be both.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I wonder how many people then have inputted a two adults search onto AWC website with 1 disabled persons Railcard and not realised that only one ticket has been discounted when it should de facto be both.
I wonder how many have done it the other way round on other websites and not realised both tickets would be discounted. Just because two tickets are bought together does not necessarily mean they travel together (it's also challenge for the Veterans Railcard where the discount may be for one or two people).

TUC

Established Member
In terms of not making ticketing websites over-complex there does need to be an approach for which the defaults are what most people would be seeking, but with the ability to enter a variation available. In the case of Disabled Persons Railcards, most people buying two tickets will be planning to travel together. To ask a question of 'is the railcard to be used for one or two people?' would be confusing and lead to many incorrect answers. Better to have an option that says 'if the passengers will be travelling separately and the railcard is only to be used for one person, please click here'.

Status
Not open for further replies.