• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity seating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My thoughts exactly, trams and commuter trains are all it's good (enough) for, but yet the same company supposedly wants to put it on long-distance routes of over six hours, where a significant amount will be doing well over half of that...

To be fair Fainsa do market it as a regional seat, and that's where you see it in other countries. It's UK TOCs ordering it for long-distance services - like TfW and the DfT - that are making an error.

It's absolutely fine for half an hour to an hour or so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anonymous10

Established Member
Probably more a case of "how much many do we reasonably have?", again the routes many of these will be used on are subsidised... Although I would have liked them to be ordered about a 5-10 years ago so future electrification is not put of they are currently what the routes need, a cheap enough train which is good on emissions, good on acceleration and have low passenger boarding time.
yes its heavily subsidised and thats a fair point but lines and route including the west wales to Manchester North wales mainline and the line to Aberystwyth ext are all decently popular and busy lines and all slated to use the 197 i understand that when its a less used system you invest less ( i don't agree thats best but off topic) however its worth noting that a large minority ( nearly half) do the majority of the journey and would not appreciate that point of view you can get more people using trains if the experience is worth the price which currently i dont think it is

Caaardiff

yes its heavily subsidised and thats a fair point but lines and route including the west wales to Manchester North wales mainline and the line to Aberystwyth ext are all decently popular and busy lines and all slated to use the 197 i understand that when its a less used system you invest less ( i don't agree thats best but off topic) however its worth noting that a large minority ( nearly half) do the majority of the journey and would not appreciate that point of view you can get more people using trains if the experience is worth the price which currently i dont think it is
What are you basing the 'large minority, nearly half' statistic on? Is there proof of this?
The general consensus is that West Wales- Manchester is a commuter/regional service and very few people actually do the full journey. Weekend travel does see higher demand for leisure travel but saying half do the whole journey to/from West Wales is a stretch.
It's worth nothing too that TfW are bound by their franchise agreement to offer a certain amount of direct services along certain parts of the country. South East Wales - West Wales being one of them, which is why the Manchester services stretch as far as west wales to meet that requirement.

Envoy

Established Member
It is not just about people doing say Cardiff to Manchester in roughly 3 hours but also Cardiff to Milford Haven is also 3 hours - so far longer in time than Cardiff to London in about 1 hour 45 minutes. If I had been in Ken Skates’ position, the first thing I would have checked is what kind of seats are available for these trains? I even would have asked for the various options to be delivered to my office to check them out. Perhaps they just wanted cheap seats so they could throw them away if they get ‘messed’? I have even seen people think it is OK to let dogs sit on the seats and the lowlife have their feet on facing seats.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe he actually likes the Sophia? It seems to be 50-50 on here or so as to views on it, and it does *look* comfortable which is why I was very surprised that it wasn't when I sat in it.

Energy

Established Member
If I had been in Ken Skates’ position, the first thing I would have checked is what kind of seats are available for these trains? I even would have asked for the various options to be delivered to my office to check them out. Perhaps they just wanted cheap seats so they could throw them away if they get ‘messed’?
Ken Skates will not be personally specifying the train, that would be up to the TOC.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Ken Skates will not be personally specifying the train, that would be up to the TOC.
The Welsh government did specify the seats though. Or rather, they determined that the TOC spec was inadequate, and so forked out for a different model themselves.

Energy

Established Member
The Welsh government did specify the seats though. Or rather, they determined that the TOC spec was inadequate, and so forked out for a different model themselves.
a) Ken Skates is just a person in the government, its probably not him who raised the issue.

b) They went for a higher spec in the Fainsa line up, probably locked into a Fainsa contract otherwise it would be FISA Leans like the 196s.

py_megapixel

Established Member
a) Ken Skates is just a person in the government, its probably not him who raised the issue.
That's probably true, but it's quite common for people to attribute problems to whoever is perceived to be in charge of the responsible organisation; I assumed his name was being used in that way.

They went for a higher spec in the Fainsa line up, probably locked into a Fainsa contract otherwise it would be FISA Leans like the 196s.
Indeed; that was my assumption and I said as much on this thread quite a long time ago. However I do still wonder why Keolis-Amey were allowed to make an order with inadequate spec in the first place - surely the WG would have had to see the spec before the order was made?

Energy

Established Member
Indeed; that was my assumption and I said as much on this thread quite a long time ago. However I do still wonder why Keolis-Amey were allowed to make an order with inadequate spec in the first place - surely the WG would have had to see the spec before the order was made?
KeolisAmey will have made an order of what fits in their budget, why the government didn't complain at the time, when it could have been changed to Leans, I don't know.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I don’t mind Fainsa seats, nor do I adore FISA Lean seats, but I wonder how people on here will react to knowing that the 197s for replacing 158/175 on the long distance routes will have Sophias while the 231 and 756 FLIRTS on the Valley lines and Maesteg service will have the seemingly more popular FISA Lean seats as per Greater Anglia.

Anonymous10

Established Member
What are you basing the 'large minority, nearly half' statistic on? Is there proof of this?
The general consensus is that West Wales- Manchester is a commuter/regional service and very few people actually do the full journey. Weekend travel does see higher demand for leisure travel but saying half do the whole journey to/from West Wales is a stretch.
It's worth nothing too that TfW are bound by their franchise agreement to offer a certain amount of direct services along certain parts of the country. South East Wales - West Wales being one of them, which is why the Manchester services stretch as far as west wales to meet that requirement.
at no point did i say whole the majority implies more than half the journey and to my knowledge most people spend a minimum of 3 hours on it ( 6 hour journey) so majority

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don’t mind Fainsa seats, nor do I adore FISA Lean seats, but I wonder how people on here will react to knowing that the 197s for replacing 158/175 on the long distance routes will have Sophias while the 231 and 756 FLIRTS on the Valley lines and Maesteg service will have the seemingly more popular FISA Lean seats as per Greater Anglia.

I certainly agree that these trains are basically completely the wrong way round - the whole thing, not just the seats. Quality long distance units used on local stopping services (FLIRTs and 170s), and cheapo local DMUs that are little more than an updated 150 on the long distance stuff.

I don't hate Civitys, but they and their interiors are a competent Class 150 replacement and not really a lot more.

Anonymous10

Established Member
I certainly agree that these trains are basically completely the wrong way round - the whole thing, not just the seats. Quality long distance units used on local stopping services (FLIRTs and 170s), and cheapo local DMUs that are little more than an updated 150 on the long distance stuff.

I don't hate Civitys, but they and their interiors are a competent Class 150 replacement and not really a lot more.
i will agree that

py_megapixel

Established Member
The cynical part of me thinks that this has something to do with the welsh government wanting the bulk of their rolling stock investment to remain on services which primarily provide connections within Wales.

Devonian

I'm not sure how much effect it has, there are basically 4 options now in the UK, the Fainsa Comrail (ironing board), Fainsa Sophia, FISA Lean (used on Flirts) and Kiel (used on GA 720s and LNWR 730s) and the Fainsa Comrail seems to be winning most orders.
There is a fifth seat type already approved and in use, that is often overlooked: the Fainsa MD, used in first class on the 800/801/802. It has been the subject of griping over its comfort level for first class compared to earlier first class seats, but Fainsa do sell them for 2nd class as well, and it would make a comfortable seat for standard class on intercity services if the back were fixed at a reasonable angle.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is a fifth seat type already approved and in use, that is often overlooked: the Fainsa MD, used in first class on the 800/801/802. It has been the subject of griping over its comfort level for first class compared to earlier first class seats, but Fainsa do sell them for 2nd class as well, and it would make a comfortable seat for standard class on intercity services if the back were fixed at a reasonable angle.

Pretty much the first thing that came up when I Googled the MD was this photo of a set of them on an ICE:

On which the photographer says the following. Though I've sat in one and I thought it was OK.

I'm sure I can take a stab at answering his question, though: "because it was cheaper".

Awful Fainsa MD Seating on ICE 2

These seats are incredibly uncomfortable, the Grammer ICE 3000 is better in every way. Who knows why they chose this piece of garbage design.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Pretty much the first thing that came up when I Googled the MD was this photo of a set of them on an ICE:

On which the photographer says the following. Though I've sat in one and I thought it was OK.

I'm sure I can take a stab at answering his question, though: "because it was cheaper".
It's very much subjective as I think the ICE seats are extremely comfortable, they even recline in standard class and I would happily see those in the 197s and indeed the 80x which currently have the rather hard Sophias.

py_megapixel

Established Member

I really like those. They're miles ahead of anything we have on IC trains in the UK.

They've been spoiled by Grammer being everywhere in Europe...

superalbs

Established Member

To be fair, since that journey, I have discovered that the airline style seats are actually better than the table seat I had on that trip, due to better recline and adjusable thigh support.

Overall makes it quite comfortable, and the ICE version (even in Second Class) is absolutely leagues ahead of the apalling UK version, thanks to the recline/thigh support, better cushioning, padded armrests, the headrest cushion, footrest, etc.

Image of the fully reclined seat:
1614704830209.png

There are other countries that use them in Second Class too, namely Spain, Austria, and Uzbekistan. I believe the UK is unique in reserving the seat exclusively for First Class use (bar the sleeper, of course).

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member
Overall makes it quite comfortable, and the ICE version (even in Second Class) is absolutely leagues ahead of the apalling UK version, thanks to the recline/thigh support, better cushioning, padded armrests, the headrest cushion, footrest, etc.
Granted it's nothing to do with the seat but I'd also nominate the absence of a heating duct as contributory to increased comfort.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Maybe he actually likes the Sophia? It seems to be 50-50 on here or so as to views on it, and it does *look* comfortable which is why I was very surprised that it wasn't when I sat in it.
I also thought from pictures that the interior of an LNER 800 looked excellent, and was going to be fantastic for four hours plus. Unfortunately it was among the worst 4h on a train I've ever spent, almost entirely because of the seating. I know people dislike the point being made but it's the home truth of a not insignificant proportion of the people who might use it.

EMR have attempted to design a bespoke alternative, driven in part by this common complaint. They haven't refurbished the 170s or 360s yet particularly because they would like to get their new bespoke seating in.

It's very much subjective as I think the ICE seats are extremely comfortable, they even recline in standard class and I would happily see those in the 197s and indeed the 80x which currently have the rather hard Sophias.
I believe the quote refers specifically to First Class in an ICE2. The others are different, and indeed are being changed over time. The second class in unrefurbished ICE3 is absolutely excellent for example.

superalbs

Established Member
I believe the quote refers specifically to First Class in an ICE2. The others are different, and indeed are being changed over time. The second class in unrefurbished ICE3 is absolutely excellent for example.
It refers to Second Class on an ICE 2, which is fine in an airline style seat, but less good at the table seat. I actually don't mind them now...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It will be interesting to see the first class seats. After all, the seats of the MK4 sets with whom they will share the Holyhead Cardiff route are large, spacious and clad in soft black leather.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I also thought from pictures that the interior of an LNER 800 looked excellent, and was going to be fantastic for four hours plus.

It is indeed a lovely warm colour scheme, just shows how the 80x doesn't need to look drab. Though I think overall I prefer TPE's blue seats, which look classier (and just a bit ICE like).

On the other hand, when you sit down... :)

The seats pictured are ICE2 second class. I think the excellent Grammer ICE3000 was used from the ICE3 onwards.

Miles Bown

(and you only have to look at the seats fitted to the Northern 195/331 fleet to see that).
I remember when Northern did a whole flashy market research thing where they got passengers to try out different seats. Then they ignored all of it, didn't publish the data and chose the least popular (and cheapest :rolleyes:) option.

Not forgetting, in regards to the 197s, initial literature suggested that they would have Comrail seats but there was an outcry and the Welsh parliament intervened and provided extra money for better (Sofia) seats to be fitted.

Neptune

Established Member
I remember when Northern did a whole flashy market research thing where they got passengers to try out different seats. Then they ignored all of it, didn't publish the data and chose the least popular (and cheapest :rolleyes:) option.

Not forgetting, in regards to the 197s, initial literature suggested that they would have Comrail seats but there was an outcry and the Welsh parliament intervened and provided extra money for better (Sofia) seats to be fitted.
Not wishing to be picky (and I agree it was a typical early days Arriva publicity stunt) but if they didn’t publish the data how do you know it was the least popular seat?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Ironic as I definitely find the Comrail loads better than the Sophia.

Miles Bown

EMR have attempted to design a bespoke alternative, driven in part by this common complaint. They haven't refurbished the 170s or 360s yet particularly because they would like to get their new bespoke seating in.
All the publicity I've seen from EMR looks as though they are the same seats as fitted to the 745s, which is very disappointing because, contrary to popular opinion, I thought they were very uncomfortable. The 810s are set to be the most underwhelming trains since the pendolinos at this rate!

Not wishing to be picky (and I agree it was a typical early days Arriva publicity stunt) but if they didn’t publish the data how do you know it was the least popular seat?
IIRC they published the data after the trains were specced, but I might be wrong. I do however know that the most favoured set was the one now fitted to the 755s etc.

superalbs

Established Member
The seats pictured are ICE2 second class. I think the excellent Grammer ICE3000 was used from the ICE3 onwards.
ICE 1 was built with proprietary seats, now carries Grammer ICE 3000.
ICE 2 was built with Grammer ICE 3000, now downgraded to Fainsa MD.
ICE 3 (all types) were built with Grammer ICE 3000, now in the process of being downgraded to a still (very) good upgraded Clerprem Hermes design.
ICE 4 is built with older Cleprem Hermes.

Anyway, we are getting quite off topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.