• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calder Valley disruption this evening 09/03

D6130

Established Member
It would appear that 6M88, 13 27 Middleton Towers-Crewe Basford Hall Yard has failed between Todmorden and Walsden after passing the latter at 20 18....causing massive disruption on the Calder Valley line....which is extra-busy with diverted TransPennine Express services.

The following 9M38, 19 37 York-Liverpool Lime St, sat in the platform at Todmorden for about an hour and a half, before being crossed back onto the down line to allow assisting loco 1Z99 to approach the rear of the failed freight, 1E74, 19 43 Leeds-Chester was terminated at Hebden Bridge and shunted into the up siding to allow 1B41, 19 23 York-Blackpool North to enter the station. This departed HBD 28 mins late after problems with large numbers of inebriated passengers.

Assisting loco 1Z99 arrived at Hall Royd Junction just before 22 30 and is now (22 50) proceeding cautiously to the rear of the failed train. Does anyone know which company and which loco was working 6M88....and also the identity of the assisting loco? Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: From another thread....the loco involved was Freightliner's 66 420 and it ran out of fuel!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

td97

Established Member
Of interest was possibly the first TPE call at Rochdale (1937 York to Liverpool Lime St), running only 2 hours late.
Apparently Manchester Victoria was chaos and with TPE also diverting via Calder Valley, nothing departed eastbound for stations beyond Rochdale after 2121 (Northern) or 2135 (TPE).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_224744_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_224744_Chrome.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 85

Thomas6187

Of interest was possibly the first TPE call at Rochdale (1937 York to Liverpool Lime St), running only 2 hours late.

Unfortunately not, as TPE have called at Rochdale(and Todmorden/Hebden Bridge) in the past. Happened several times when the normal route was closed and Northern were required to give up path to make it room.

D6130

Established Member
Ah well, swings and roundabouts then! Howeve, it's incorrect to state that 9M38 lost all the time at Brighouse. A glance at RTT shows that it departed Brighouse 4 minutes late at 20 40, lost a further 36 minutes waiting at Milner Royd Jn. and then crawled to Todmorden, losing another 38 minutes, before sitting in the platform there - and shunting to the down line, which I suspect was when the passing time of 22 10 was recorded - before finally departing at about 22 40 and following the slowly-assisted freight onwards. 9M38 passed Littleborough at 22 49 (+112) and was +122 by Moston. Obviously this was all far too complicated for TPE's social media team....so they just lumped all the delay onto Brighouse, which was the train's last scheduled calling point before Manchester Victoria.

Whisky Papa

Unfortunately not, as TPE have called at Rochdale(and Todmorden/Hebden Bridge) in the past. Happened several times when the normal route was closed and Northern were required to give up path to make it room.
Yes, there was a week when I was working at Hebden Bridge that we got calls from TPE during a Huddersfield blockade - October half-term, 2012 or 2013, I think. Some of the regulars were very impressed to get into Leeds so quickly!

But, you can't please everyone: there was one redoubtable commuter at Todmorden who, on having read the temporary timetable the week before the blockade, demanded that I speak to my manager and get him to alter it. I could only think of Joan Sanderson's character in Fawlty Towers!:lol: