• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well that's my annual token seated sleeper trip booked, hard to believe that just under a decade ago I was a regular on this service in both cabins and seats. This time it's Edinburgh to Watford junction next Thursday, the Friday morning arrival in Watford will allow me to do a tube of avoidance move involving Clapham and Victoria then homewood bound to Chatham with a lot less walking involved to be fair. Not sure what crewing arrangements are on Thursday nights but just as long as somebody answers the call bell from the seats when I want another whisky. And also that the toilet still works. I find it absolutely insane that they only provision the trains from a food and drink perspective at the London end and not at the northern end. Okay I can possibly see why fort William might be a bit difficult to load stock on and off but all the other destinations should be quite easy catering restock points and as The fort William lounge detaches and attaches at Edinburgh they should be able to restock it there as well

JamieL

Another good night on the Sleeper - service continues to be very much 'as was' under Serco. Seemingly achieved a faster than usual speed at somepoint overnight! 110mph recorded - although as always that is GPS so includes a margin for error.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718-071758_Speedometer.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718-071758_Speedometer.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 79

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Seemingly achieved a faster than usual speed at somepoint overnight! 110mph recorded - although as always that is GPS so includes a margin for error.
No traction involved that would allow 110mph, so that is a large error.

D6130

Established Member
No traction involved that would allow 110mph, so that is a large error.
Yes....the maximum permitted speed of class 92 locos is 140 Km/h or 87 mph. Any driver recorded as exceeding that limit by 23 mph will be in for a no tea/no biscuits interview with their line manager and quite possibly their P45.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
the Friday morning arrival in Watford will allow me to do a tube of avoidance move involving Clapham and Victoria then homewood bound to Chatham with a lot less walking involved to be fair
I am curious to know what you mean by this? Surely the tube can easily be avoided by walking from Euston to St Pancras if heading to Chatham

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It can indeed, but after a night on the cushions I can't be bothered usually and would rather sit on trains drinking coffee and nodding off then walking through Central London on a Friday morning and not only that but this route is cheaper.

Butts

Veteran Member
As it's allegedly a Luxury Experience what's on offer in the Lounge at Inverness for 1st Class Passengers ?

Is it more Avanti or BA ?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Certainly more in keeping with a domestic intercity operator, comfy leather seats and lots of power and Wi-Fi, although if Inverness city centre now has been equipped with 5G it may be faster. Shower facility which I think is chargeable and less you're in a club room, selection of non-grown up cold drinks in a fridge plus bean to cup coffee machine. Quite small no hence someone complaint up thread about it already being full

BRX

Established Member
It can indeed, but after a night on the cushions I can't be bothered usually and would rather sit on trains drinking coffee and nodding off then walking through Central London on a Friday morning and not only that but this route is cheaper.
Change at Denmark Hill instead of Victoria & you can avoid central London altogether.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Again that's a good option, and it's good if the timings work out but my luck with Kent bound connections at Denmark hill is normally not very good as it's only once an hour and often saves time if not money going into Victoria.

Butts

Veteran Member
Certainly more in keeping with a domestic intercity operator, comfy leather seats and lots of power and Wi-Fi, although if Inverness city centre now has been equipped with 5G it may be faster. Shower facility which I think is chargeable and less you're in a club room, selection of non-grown up cold drinks in a fridge plus bean to cup coffee machine. Quite small no hence someone complaint up thread about it already being full

No nibbles ?

BRX

Established Member
I've just uploaded this video which tries to cover everything that happens to the sleeper stock after it arrives in Inverness:

Travels about 5km in the process, I reckon.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Coffee machines weren't working at Inverness or Euston last week - instant only.
(It was full at Inverness, but the stewardess relented and let us in. However when we saw what was available we went across the road to the Royal Highland hotel which had a rather better selection of beverages (both of the alcoholic and caffeinated varieties) - although of course you have to pay for them.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
To be honest I would have thought that rather than the costs of running their own lounge with the possible exception of the customer service and shower facility element that they would be cheaper and far more appealing to passengers to simply pay the royal Highland to do it for them, I'm sure there are plenty of other establishments along the route that would carry out this service

Christmas

I'm getting a bit sick of early arrivals into Euston which only seems to benefit the staff. Getting kicked out at 06.20 just isn't good enough. Imagine any hotel hurrying you to vacate your room at the crack of dawn. The trains should be allowed to stand at Euston until 09.00 to allow passengers to wake up and leave at a civilised time.

BRX

Established Member
I'm getting a bit sick of early arrivals into Euston which only seems to benefit the staff. Getting kicked out at 06.20 just isn't good enough. Imagine any hotel hurrying you to vacate your room at the crack of dawn. The trains should be allowed to stand at Euston until 09.00 to allow passengers to wake up and leave at a civilised time.
This has come up on the thread before with some folk refusing to believe it happens. Assume you mean the lowland sleeper, the timetable for which says rooms vacated by 7.30? Being kicked out over an hour before what's been advertised doesn't seem on at all - do you make a complaint to CS each time it happens, and what's their response if so?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Anyone who doesn't believe it need only look at rtt for the night it was reported to happen. My last trip in September of last year ran early at Watford but far from complaining I was quite happy as I was able to grab a very large coffee from the very recently opened coffee stand and finish it before purchasing another to take on my next train

JamieL

Its a sleeper train, not a hotel. Certainly in the Highlander, the vacate time is now listed as +1 minute from the arrival time. Fairly clear that once the train atlrrives, you get off. Same same with every train!

35B

Established Member
Its a sleeper train, not a hotel. Certainly in the Highlander, the vacate time is now listed as +1 minute from the arrival time. Fairly clear that once the train atlrrives, you get off. Same same with every train!
The timetables state specific vacate times, independent from and separate to the arrival times. So very definitely not the same as every other train.

Falcon1200

Established Member
On the mornings when the Lowlander (1M11) arrives at Euston early, does the corresponding empty stock to Wembley (3M11) depart early? It would seem not, for example yesterday (Wednesday 19th July) 1M11 arrived 28 minutes early, 3M11 departed just 2 minutes early. And on Tuesday 18th July 1M11 arrived 30 minutes early, 3M11 departed 4 minutes early. Update; Today 1M11 arrived 57 minutes early, 3M11 departed 3 minutes early! So there is no reason why passengers should not be allowed to remain in board until the advertised disembarking time, other than to give the staff an early finish.

alistairlees

Established Member
On the mornings when the Lowlander (1M11) arrives at Euston early, does the corresponding empty stock to Wembley (3M11) depart early? It would seem not, for example yesterday (Wednesday 19th July) 1M11 arrived 28 minutes early, 3M11 departed just 2 minutes early. And on Tuesday 18th July 1M11 arrived 30 minutes early, 3M11 departed 4 minutes early. Update; Today 1M11 arrived 57 minutes early, 3M11 departed 3 minutes early! So there is no reason why passengers should not be allowed to remain in board until the advertised disembarking time, other than to give the staff an early finish.
I did the Edinburgh to Euston sleeper about three weeks ago. It arrived around 40 minutes early. I was allowed to remain on board and no-one was asking me to get off so they could go. I left about when it had been due to arrive anyway, but there no one was being pressured to get off.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That's not what it says, it states a time.

If they mean to say "When the train arrives, you will need to leave it immediately", that is what it needs to say. It's fine for it to say that (that's the norm in every other country I know of with sleepers), or indeed say nothing in which case that will be the assumed default.

Literally the only thing most of us object to with this is the misinformation. That it normally arrives at 0730 and you must vacate by 0731 does not state or even imply that if it arrives at 0630 you need to vacate by 0631. It needs to actually say that, not weakly imply it. Why's it so hard just to be honest?

BRX

Established Member
We did do this whole discussion only a few pages ago ...

(that's the norm in every other country I know of with sleepers),

I actually can't think of any time I've travelled on a continental sleeper where it's arrived somewhere significantly *early* and I've had to get off before the booked time.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Does anyone agree with me that if you are paying north of £150 for a 1st Class Berth Food and Drink should be included in the price and a decent Lounge Facility provided.

What is the cheapest 1st Class Berth for an individual - perhaps I am misguided and it is only about £50-£70 ?

JamieL

Does anyone agree with me that if you are paying north of £150 for a 1st Class Berth Food and Drink should be included in the price and a decent Lounge Facility provided.

What is the cheapest 1st Class Berth for an individual - perhaps I am misguided and it is only about £50-£70 ?
First class ticket holders get free breakfast plus water and chocolate is provided in the cabins. The Avanti lounge at Euston is satisfactory.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

The cheapest ‘first class’ (Club) cabin available for London - Glasgow between now and the end of September is £235, available on three dates: the last Monday in each of August and September, plus Weds Sep 20th. The more typical price is £290. This is (almost) the price per room, ie two travelling together lay only a little more.

As to the question about food and drink - theres a free breakfast and use of the lounge before departure. I wouldn’t expect a free evening meal and booze before I go to my room for the night in the same way I don’t expect that at a Premier Inn or Claridges.