• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cambridge South new station construction progress.

girothedog

The only reasons I can see to change at Cambridge South would be if you were doubling back from Foxton to Shelford or vice versa which must surely be a niche pattern.
Admittedly still niche, but it’s not just Foxton to Shelford, I’ve often changed for Shelford at Cambridge from Kings Cross or even Sussex (Thameslink). The connections at Cambridge can be quite tight but Cambridge South will make this much easier.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bspahh

Established Member
The only reasons I can see to change at Cambridge South would be if you were doubling back from Foxton to Shelford or vice versa which must surely be a niche pattern.
It would also help to get a seat, if you were changing onto a northbound train from Cambridge at 4pm from the school traffic, or later from commuters.

windjabbers

Few photos as I was passsing by yesterday. All seems to be moving along at a fair paces.

BW David
And on the way back I cycled over the bridge to the south of the station. There has been some track work to the south of this bridge. I understand that this is to improve the line speed of the junction for those trains taking the GN route to KGX. But I couldn't find a location for a picture. It looks like over the past two weekends two new points have been installed on both the up and down running lines north the of the junction. BW DC

Attachments

• IMG_7831.jpeg
    IMG_7831.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 123

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the big tower for both lift and stair access, or will they be separate? Will the interchange all be at one end? Maybe it's assumed that the station will mainly be entrance/exit, with not much interchanging?
Here‘s a layout drawing taken from the NR planning document posted somewhere earlier in this thread:

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 15.34.09.png

neill

Here‘s a layout drawing taken from the NR planning document
Thanks, shows the central section stairs and lifts well. Interestingly the station has been built slightly different from that plan - for example the location of the lifts in the western building differs. In reality the lifts are at the core of the main staircase which ascends clockwise around them.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks, shows the central section stairs and lifts well. Interestingly the station has been built slightly different from that plan - for example the location of the lifts in the western building differs. In reality the lifts are at the core of the main staircase which ascends clockwise around them.
Yes that’s an obvious difference. I guess the central island wouldn’t have enough room to do anything similar there.

It also seems likely that there’ll be no public access past the central lift shafts, your May 8 photos suggest to me they probably haven’t enough clearance with respect to the platform edge?

Last edited:

mr_moo

The tower is a double lift shaft. An elevated platform was built on the south side of it a couple of weeks ago and I think this will be where the two footbridges attach (east/west). My assumption is that the stairs down to the train platforms will be attached to the south side of the elevated platform.
Spot on neill. :)

I think this footbridge is the only one that will be open to the public. There is a second one at the south end for ‘secondary means of escape’ from the plans is looks like a much smaller structure and I assume for emergency use only.
Not spot on this time!
There is a second footbridge to the South, which is indeed the "Secondary Means of Escape" footbridge, or SME.
This only spans between the island platform and platform 4, but it will be open to the public if anyone wants to use it. Not the main access route at all though.

As for interchange - my assumption is this will be minimal. Everything I’ve seen suggests that all services that call at Cambridge South will also call at Cambridge which will have much better facilities for interchanging and waiting. The only reasons I can see to change at Cambridge South would be if you were doubling back from Foxton to Shelford or vice versa which must surely be a niche pattern.
Yep, whilst I absolutely can't give any details of final service patterns, it's' a pretty safe bet that everything that stops at South wil also stop at central (Must get that re-named!)
Given the two differnt routes to London and the various destinations though, I can foresee a reaosnable interchange flow between the two routes here. (That's just my personal opinion, not anything from modelling etc).

Admittedly still niche, but it’s not just Foxton to Shelford, I’ve often changed for Shelford at Cambridge from Kings Cross or even Sussex (Thameslink). The connections at Cambridge can be quite tight but Cambridge South will make this much easier.
Ditto. I've used Shelford to Cambridge then back down on the Thameslink services, so South will be useful for these kinds of flows,

And on the way back I cycled over the bridge to the south of the station. There has been some track work to the south of this bridge. I understand that this is to improve the line speed of the junction for those trains taking the GN route to KGX. But I couldn't find a location for a picture. It looks like over the past two weekends two new points have been installed on both the up and down running lines north the of the junction. BW DC
Yep. We renewed a length of the Up Royston last weekend. We're doing the Down Royston this weekend.

These are renewals to prepare for the final arrangement. The formation is being installed to the final alignment, then the track is put back, but in renewed form, onto the existnig alignment. Come the final comissioning, the tracks will be slued across to their new alignment to meet the realigned Shepreth Branch Junction.

Yes that’s an obvious difference. I guess the central island wouldn’t have enough room to do anything similar there.

It also seems likely that there’ll be no public access past the central lift shafts, your May 8 photos suggest to me they probably haven’t enough clearance with respect to the platform edge?
That is correct and a good spot - the operational platform ends at the lift shafts. There's a short section of non-operational platform at the North end.

That plan is from quite an old version of the plans - the layout has been changed quite a bit since then, as you can see from the lift shaft locations! Refer back to the architectural video I shared a while back to see the final arrangement.

----- Additional response below (please someone reply to I can post more in a a separate post!)

This weekend will also see the closure of Websters LC.
The main thing will be the track works on the Down Royston but there will be station works, Civils works and further OLE staging.

Last edited:

Trainbike46

Established Member
Amazing progress on the station! I'm looking forward to seeing it open, though it will likely be many months after opening before I see it

mr_moo

Thanks!

Right, I finally have some time to sort some pics for you.

Here's some photos taken in the weekend of 4th/5th May, where we installed our first set of points.

S&C is part site-built and part delivered in panels on a train. Naturally, a set of points is quite wide, and doesn't fit on a normal train if laid horizontally, so we use the special train with tilting wagons on it to transport these to site:
P1015981.JPGP1015983.JPGP1015987.JPGP1015989.JPG

Ballast is prepared with a nice flat and compacted surface:
P1016048.JPG

Sometimes these panels are laid directly in place, but sometimes they are placed nearby ready for later installation:
P1016068.JPGP1016084.JPG

Then the star of the show is of course the Kirow crane, which lifts these heavy panels into place:
P1016085.JPGP1016092.JPG

These are the new points which will form the North end of the new Shepreth Branch Junction.

More nice clean ballast ready for track:
P1016240.JPGP1016249.JPG

More Kirow crane pics because they are always cool:
P1016241.JPGP1016248.JPGP1016253.JPG

And brand new points on the ground and in place:
P1016221.JPGP1016222.JPGP1016228.JPGP1016229.JPG

Now back to the station building, which looks amazing:
P1016103.JPGP1016104.JPGP1016113.JPGP1016120.JPGP1016123.JPGP1016126.JPGP1016131.JPGP1016136.JPG

And some inside:
P1016138.JPGP1016144.JPGP1016157.JPGP1016161.JPG

I returned only 1 day later with the station building having advanced substantially. This is now Sunday 5th May:
P1016451.JPGP1016452.JPGP1016463.JPGP1016464.JPGP1016472.JPG

Last edited:

William3000

Spot on neill. :)

Not spot on this time!
There is a second footbridge to the South, which is indeed the "Secondary Means of Escape" footbridge, or SME.
This only spans between the island platform and platform 4, but it will be open to the public if anyone wants to use it. Not the main access route at all though.

Yep, whilst I absolutely can't give any details of final service patterns, it's' a pretty safe bet that everything that stops at South wil also stop at central (Must get that re-named!)
Given the two differnt routes to London and the various destinations though, I can foresee a reaosnable interchange flow between the two routes here. (That's just my personal opinion, not anything from modelling etc).

Ditto. I've used Shelford to Cambridge then back down on the Thameslink services, so South will be useful for these kinds of flows,

Yep. We renewed a length of the Up Royston last weekend. We're doing the Down Royston this weekend.

These are renewals to prepare for the final arrangement. The formation is being installed to the final alignment, then the track is put back, but in renewed form, onto the existnig alignment. Come the final comissioning, the tracks will be slued across to their new alignment to meet the realigned Shepreth Branch Junction.

That is correct and a good spot - the operational platform ends at the lift shafts. There's a short section of non-operational platform at the North end.

That plan is from quite an old version of the plans - the layout has been changed quite a bit since then, as you can see from the lift shaft locations! Refer back to the architectural video I shared a while back to see the final arrangement.

----- Additional response below (please someone reply to I can post more in a a separate post!)

This weekend will also see the closure of Websters LC.
The main thing will be the track works on the Down Royston but there will be station works, Civils works and further OLE staging.
Thanks for all the information. Unless I have misunderstood are you saying that the second footbridge at the southern end of the station will only span the island platform (2 & 3) and the western platform 4 but will not be connected to platform 1 on the eastern side?

mr_moo

Thanks for all the information. Unless I have misunderstood are you saying that the second footbridge at the southern end of the station will only span the island platform (2 & 3) and the western platform 4 but will not be connected to platform 1 on the eastern side?
That is correct. It's only intended as an SME, not an interchange. Platform 1 will have an emergency exit at the South end into the Biomedical campus. Platform 4 has an emergency exit at the South end into Hobsons park.
Platforms 2/3 are naturally, er, rail-locked, so need a way out. The bridge allows people to exit over the tracks of P3/4 then exit into Hobsons park.

Cracking contribution from our man in the know. Cheers mr.mooo :smile:
No probs. I love sharing what I'm able to and appreciate the thank you's. :lol:

WesternBiker

That is correct. It's only intended as an SME, not an interchange. Platform 1 will have an emergency exit at the South end into the Biomedical campus. Platform 4 has an emergency exit at the South end into Hobsons park.
Platforms 2/3 are naturally, er, rail-locked, so need a way out. The bridge allows people to exit over the tracks of P3/4 then exit into Hobsons park.

No probs. I love sharing what I'm able to and appreciate the thank you's. :lol:
Well, I'll add a thank you, then! Amazing to see the progress once things get moving. I hope to be a regular user of the station once it is open! :)

(We're in the process of moving to South Cambridgeshire.)

arb

Platform 1 will have an emergency exit at the South end into the Biomedical campus. Platform 4 has an emergency exit at the South end into Hobsons park.
I can follow the logic of this, and would completely understand it, if considered in isolation.

But compare it platforms 7 and 8 at the main Cambridge station, or platforms 2 and 3 at Cambridge North, which are also "rail-locked", but only get one footbridge. Why does Cambridge South need two footbridges on the island platform? What's the difference? My initial guess would be passenger numbers, but surely Cambridge is expected to have more passengers than Cambridge South?

(Not that I'm complaining - I think all of the platforms I just mentioned would benefit from a second footbridge!)

zwk500

Veteran Member
I can follow the logic of this, and would completely understand it, if considered in isolation.

But compare it platforms 7 and 8 at the main Cambridge station, or platforms 2 and 3 at Cambridge North, which are also "rail-locked", but only get one footbridge. Why does Cambridge South need two footbridges on the island platform? What's the difference? My initial guess would be passenger numbers, but surely Cambridge is expected to have more passengers than Cambridge South?

(Not that I'm complaining - I think all of the platforms I just mentioned would benefit from a second footbridge!)
More likely grandfather rights, but also with both of those examples you could block one platform line rather and evacuate over sidings (Platform 8 at Cambridge, Platform 3 at Cambridge North) without needing to stop traffic on running lines, whereas at Cambridge South if platforms 2/3 required evacuation over the tracks you'd have to block both running lines of one pair or the other. This would be extremely disruptive if the reason for evacuation was something only to do with the station itself.

bspahh

Established Member
More likely grandfather rights, but also with both of those examples you could block one platform line rather and evacuate over sidings (Platform 8 at Cambridge, Platform 3 at Cambridge North) without needing to stop traffic on running lines, whereas at Cambridge South if platforms 2/3 required evacuation over the tracks you'd have to block both running lines of one pair or the other. This would be extremely disruptive if the reason for evacuation was something only to do with the station itself.
Cambridge North has a fenced refuge area to the north of platform 3

zwk500

Veteran Member
Cambridge North has a fenced refuge area to the north of platform 3
thanks for the info

neill

Thanks @mr_moo for all the info above. Gutted to be wrong about the bridge!

Here is the much delayed video from the 5th May. This shows the station canopy being lifted, as well as work on the new Shepreth junction layout.

I've also attached a couple of photos taken this morning, mostly showing scaffolding being put up, however it also looked like there was a signal base being installed just to the north of platform 4.

Attachments

• IMG_6989.jpeg
    IMG_6989.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6987.jpeg
    IMG_6987.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6990.jpeg
    IMG_6990.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 45