• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle>high Wycombe, not via London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Hello everybody. Anyone got any mega good suggestions for discounts or savings for this journey, travelling out this coming Friday and would be grateful for a dealer flexibility on the return, the return journey could be anytime from Sunday afternoon until the middle of next week hence why I don't just want to buy a couple of advances, not that such are available at this late notice and with the state of the wcml in general plus being a Friday. I have a disabled Railcard and can start from Carlisle anytime from 7:30 a.m. onwards. Very much appreciate anyone's assistance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Travelling via Birmingham and avoiding London using Avanti Carlisle - Birmingham New Street - walking to Birmingham Moor Street and using Chiltern to High Wycombe, the usual splits would cost around £89.70.

Carlisle to Crewe
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
(Disabled Persons Railcard)
£49.95
  • Valid only for travel via (changing trains or passing through) Preston.
  • Restriction 2T applies - click for details
Crewe to Birmingham Stations
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
£20.50
  • Travel is allowed via any permitted route.
  • Restriction CS applies - click for details
Birmingham Stations to High Wycombe
Super Off-Peak Return (OPR)
£19.25
  • Valid only for travel via (changing trains or passing through) Banbury.
  • Restriction PV applies - click for details

Further savings can be had if the train between Carlisle and Birmingham calls at Oxenholme Lake District with splits available for £87.65

Carlisle to Oxenholme Lake District
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
£12.90
Oxenholme Lake District to Preston (Lancs)
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
£14.65
Preston (Lancs) to Crewe
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
£20.35
  • Restriction 2T applies - click for details
Crewe to Birmingham Stations
Off-Peak Return (SVR)
£20.50
  • Restriction CS applies - click for details
Birmingham Stations to High Wycombe
Super Off-Peak Return (OPR)
£19.25
  • Valid only for travel via (changing trains or passing through) Banbury.
  • Restriction PV applies - click for details

sonic2009

Established Member
Smashing. I knew I was missing something when trying to work it out manually but I now realise what I was doing wrong and and I'm grateful
My head is everwhere right now

Not a problem - someone may come up with something cheaper though.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Noting the OP's user name, are there any variations to the itinerary possible, which would avoid the need for the suggested cross-Birmingham transfer, maybe by the OP instead changing at Leamington Spa or Banbury?

Veteran Member
Noting the OP's user name, are there any variations to the itinerary possible, which would avoid the need for the suggested cross-Birmingham transfer, maybe by the OP instead changing at Leamington Spa or Banbury?
Is there anything to prevent that? The relevant ticket is not Chiltern Only, so they could, if they wished, change at Wolverhampton onto the XC towards Reading.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Ticket splits do not determine where to change trains.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Travelling via Birmingham and avoiding London using Avanti Carlisle - Birmingham New Street - walking to Birmingham Moor Street and using Chiltern to High Wycombe, the usual splits would cost around £89.70.

Ticket splits do not determine where to change trains.

Indeed. The cross Birmingham transfer was suggested upthread in post #2, however.

mangyiscute

Established Member
From what I can see, taking a train from Carlisle to Wolverhampton (perhaps with a change at Crewe which i think would be same platform), changing onto a Cross country to Banbury (which iirc is usually across the footbridge at Wolverhampton) and then taking a Chiltern service from Banbury (same platform most likely) to High Wycombe will be the best bet - all of the changes are only about 10 minutes - for fares trainsplit kept on showing me different fares for some reason but I think there is a £69.30 off peak return from Carlisle to Birmingham which combined with the £19.25 Birmingham to High Wycombe fare looks like the best bet to me, but strangely that carlisle to birmingham fare isn't offered on every service and im not sure why

Veteran Member
there is a £69.30 off peak return from Carlisle to Birmingham which combined with the £19.25 Birmingham to High Wycombe fare looks like the best bet to me, but strangely that carlisle to birmingham fare isn't offered on every service and im not sure why
Avanti insisting on reservations? Appears on NRE for every connection I've tested.

Price halfway between Sonic's two suggestions. For convenience I'd go for 8t!

Status
Not open for further replies.