• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I am of the feeling bakerbus are in a bit of financial trouble as they no longer have enough contracts / commercial services of sufficient profitability within their bus devision. They have confirmed that the 99 is marginal and doesn't pay all that well.

I'm pretty sure Bakerbus withdrew all their commercial routes in Cheshire a couple of years back.

In 1997 they only had 1 bus route which was the 27 Macclesfield-Knutsford service where certain early/late services ran through to Congleton and it was a route that worked well for them as they had to improve the frequency and use larger buses.

Out-of-interest does anyone know how much they paid for Niddries Coaches? They were only a small coach operator who would have probably gone out of business otherwise - the owner was in his late 70s at the time, his daughter was running another business and his son has a disability so would probably struggle to have managed the business himself. Bakers didn't even keep the coaches belonging to Niddries for long.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
CEC confirmed that another operator is currently looking at the possibility of registering the 39 Macclesfield - Congleton service, following High Peak's cancellation.

Were those their exact words or did they mention another operator looking at replacement services? There's a lot of replication between the 39 and other services (14, 38 and 109 services) so I'm wondering whether it's an enhancement or a route revision to an existing service that they were actually referring to a new registration. If the daytime 38 service is commercial then I imagine CEC can't issue a contract for a replacement 39 unless it was cutback so it didn't serve both Macclesfield and Congleton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In 2013, Fortitude Incorporated, a company based in Barbados, purchased BakerBus, who had celebrated 75 years of trading in 2011.

I wonder if there has been thought given by the current company management to the best way to utilise their fleet resources with their Staffordshire based company involvement. Do they still run their holidays operation these days?

northwichcat

Veteran Member
In 2013, Fortitude Incorporated, a company based in Barbados, purchased BakerBus, who had celebrated 75 years of trading in 2011.

I wonder if there has been thought given by the current company management to the best way to utilise their fleet resources with their Staffordshire based company involvement. Do they still run their holidays operation these days?

I see as well as owning Guideissue Limited, they also own Kinglong UK.

Guideissue Limited trade under 5 names
bakerbus: http://www.bakerbus.com/
Bakers Coaches: http://www.bakerscoaches.com/
Bakers Holidays: http://www.bakersholidays.com/
Bakers Training: http://www.bakerscoaches.com/bakers-training
Bakers Support Training: http://www.bakerscoaches.com/engineering-support-services (Page missing!)

When they ran their first bus route (27 Biddulph/Macclesfield to Knutsford) it was under the "Bakers Coaches" name, with the bakerbus name only being introduced later.

Established Member
I'm pretty sure Bakerbus withdrew all their commercial routes in Cheshire a couple of years back.

In 1997 they only had 1 bus route which was the 27 Macclesfield-Knutsford service where certain early/late services ran through to Congleton and it was a route that worked well for them as they had to improve the frequency and use larger buses.

Out-of-interest does anyone know how much they paid for Niddries Coaches? They were only a small coach operator who would have probably gone out of business otherwise - the owner was in his late 70s at the time, his daughter was running another business and his son has a disability so would probably struggle to have managed the business himself. Bakers didn't even keep the coaches belonging to Niddries for long.

Were those their exact words or did they mention another operator looking at replacement services? There's a lot of replication between the 39 and other services (14, 38 and 109 services) so I'm wondering whether it's an enhancement or a route revision to an existing service that they were actually referring to a new registration. If the daytime 38 service is commercial then I imagine CEC can't issue a contract for a replacement 39 unless it was cutback so it didn't serve both Macclesfield and Congleton.

Yes Jenni from CEC's exact words were "another operator is currently investigating the possibility of registering some of the journeys commercially"

Although I've seen nothing as yet submitted to the traffic commissioner.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
No mention of any changes to the 39 service on the CEC website at all, not even that High Peak are withdrawing the service and other operators are looking at options.

I find this picture amusing: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/22455491@N02/5867398574/

I thought when I got ex-Crossville Leyland double deckers with black and white number plates 15-20 years ago on school services that those were old.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Established Member
That's quite a bit better than what I was expecting, let's hope it's more successful with a better operator. Interesting to have an hourly service with a two hour gap, other than the 300 I've not come across this before.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
That's quite a bit better than what I was expecting, let's hope it's more successful with a better operator. Interesting to have an hourly service with a two hour gap, other than the 300 I've not come across this before.

300 is mainly half-hourly. Prior to Bowers/High Peak it was a full half-hourly service except for a 20:15 run (when the evening driver took a break), two lunchtime services were operated using a different driver and bus to allow the daytime driver to have a break.

Strangest thing in the timetable now is there's a 1 hr 20 gap in what's mainly a half-hourly timetable.

Established Member
Ah sorry yes should have said a regular pattern service not an hourly.

Has anyone seen a registration for GHA's 39 service? I may have missed it but I haven't seen one and CEC haven't updated their website in a while?

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Has anyone seen a registration for GHA's 39 service? I may have missed it but I haven't seen one and CEC haven't updated their website in a while?

Sometimes the emergency registrations appear on the VOSA website after the approved start date.
Just noticed the timetable for the new 39 service has been removed from the GHA site maybe by error or maybe because the TC didn't give approval in time? Although, the service is still referred to as starting on 1st December on the news page.
D&G Bus will be operating reduced services on most routes between 27th Dec and 2nd Jan: http://www.dgbus.co.uk/christmas-buses.html

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure most bus companies nationwide will be running reduced services on those days.

For council contracts operators will have to run a full weekday service on any weekday that's not a bank holiday with the possible exception of shutting down early on 24th Dec and 31st Dec.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
For council contracts operators will have to run a full weekday service on any weekday that's not a bank holiday with the possible exception of shutting down early on 24th Dec and 31st Dec.

That rather depends on what each council specifies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

I doubt many council contracts would allow a reduced service on 2nd Jan even if they allow one on the weekdays between Christmas and New Year.
D&G Bus are to stop running the 36 Crewe - Haslington - Sandbach from 25th January. I don't know if someone else will take over that service.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I doubt many council contracts would allow a reduced service on 2nd Jan even if they allow one on the weekdays between Christmas and New Year.

You appear to be contradicting yourself - so they will allow one on weekdays between Christmas and New Year?

As I said, it depends what's in the contract, there's no hard and fast rule - though there may be standard contracts that individual councils have.

martinsh

Established Member
D&G Bus are to stop running the 36 Crewe - Haslington - Sandbach from 25th January. I don't know if someone else will take over that service.

Their operation of this route has always been a bit half-hearted. Regularly running 10 mins late. Saw the 10.25 arrival in Crewe yesterday - must have been at least 20 people on it. However, it just parked up so the next departure from Crewe didn't run.

As for someone else taking it over - I think it's unlikely unless Routemaster want to have a go.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
You appear to be contradicting yourself - so they will allow one on weekdays between Christmas and New Year?

As I said, it depends what's in the contract, there's no hard and fast rule - though there may be standard contracts that individual councils have.

AFAIK the contracted services in Cheshire East run a weekday service on the weekdays between Christmas and New Year (with the exception of an early shut down on New Year's Eve) while some of the commercial services get a reduced service, .

Your response to my earlier post was it'll vary between councils and I pointed out that I doubt many contracts would have allow a reduced service on 2nd January if the 2nd January happens to fall on a Friday.

As for someone else taking it over - I think it's unlikely unless Routemaster want to have a go.

I don't think Routemaster run any services on a commercial basis so they'll only have a go if Cheshire East put it out to tender.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
AFAIK the contracted services in Cheshire East run a weekday service on the weekdays between Christmas and New Year (with the exception of an early shut down on New Year's Eve) while some of the commercial services get a reduced service, .

Your response to my earlier post was it'll vary between councils and I pointed out that I doubt many contracts would have allow a reduced service on 2nd January if the 2nd January happens to fall on a Friday.

In West Yorkshire, Metro-subsidised services will be running a Saturday service on 2nd January (in common with most commercial services in the county).

On the 903 service which is the nearest entirely subsidised service to my house, buses will run between 0930 and 1652 instead of between 0635 and 1812.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
In West Yorkshire, Metro-subsidised services will be running a Saturday service on 2nd January (in common with most commercial services in the county).

On the 903 service which is the nearest entirely subsidised service to my house, buses will run between 0930 and 1652 instead of between 0635 and 1812.

According to Traveline for buses local to me the following applies for 29-31 December:
27 Knutsford to Macclesfield (commercial) - weekday timetable
88 Knutsford to Altrincham via Wilmslow (subsided) - weekday timetable
289 Northwich to Altrincham via Knutsford (subsided) - no difference between weekday and Saturday timetable
300 Knutsford circular (commercial daytime service) - Saturday timetable
300 Knutsford circular (subsided evening service) - weekday timetable

So the 300 commercial daytime service is the exception not the norm.

Traveline doesn't go up to 2nd January yet so I can't check that date but I expect it'll be the same as 29th December for those services.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
According to Traveline for buses local to me the following applies for 29-31 December:
27 Knutsford to Macclesfield (commercial) - weekday timetable
88 Knutsford to Altrincham via Wilmslow (subsided) - weekday timetable
289 Northwich to Altrincham via Knutsford (subsided) - no difference between weekday and Saturday timetable
300 Knutsford circular (commercial daytime service) - Saturday timetable
300 Knutsford circular (subsided evening service) - weekday timetable

So the 300 commercial daytime service is the exception not the norm.

Traveline doesn't go up to 2nd January yet so I can't check that date but I expect it'll be the same as 29th December for those services.

So what you said is true for buses local to you.

But you didn't limit what you said to buses local to you.

And then allowed for the possibility that that might not quite be true:

I've found a bunch of counter examples in West Yorkshire.

If you mean "Contracts in East Cheshire seem to specify a full weekday service on January 2nd" that may well be the case.

Or as I said:

You seem determined to prove you're not wrong in defiance of the facts.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Some passengers aren't happy with the 42 service since GHA took it over from D&G Bus. The sentence towards the end makes it sound like the 42 route will be getting 3 of the new Dennis Enviros GHA have on order, similar to those recently introduced on the 88 route.

Warrington Guardian said:
CHESHIRE East Council has responded to the complaints about the changed bus service in Middlewich by stating they are investigating the problems.

The 42 service from Crewe to Congleton via Middlewich has come under criticism from residents after the Borough Council changed its service provider from D&G who had run the service for 10 years, to GHA.

Residents had complained that since the changeover, the buses were always either late or did not arrive, and did not stick to the route.

Cheshire East Council has said they are investigating the complaints and described the issues as ‘teething problems’.

A spokesperson for Cheshire East Council said: “Due to our previous five-year contract coming to its natural end, we followed our normal procurement rules and put out to tender the contract for the 42 service.

“Although D&G had the opportunity to tender for this contract again they were not the successful operator and the contract was awarded to GHA.

“We are currently investigating some complaints which have been reported to us and liaising with GHA to make sure a smoother operation is delivered once these initial teething problems are sorted out.”

GHA also responded by blaming teething problems for the amount of complaints received and say progress is being made.

Stephen Bryce, general manager at GHA, said: “GHA Coaches operate service 42 under contract to Cheshire East Council and we started operating the route from 27th October.

“Although we were aware of some teething problems during the first week I believe operations have now calmed down and in the second week we only received one complaint.

“There have been several road works along the route which have caused diversions and this will add to the passenger perception that we are going the wrong way.

“Our company has recently ordered 3 brand new buses for the 42 service which will low floor access, the latest engine emission limits, leather seats, laminate flooring and free Wi-Fi for passengers, these vehicles form part of a larger order costing £1.7M for 13 brand new vehicles for services within Cheshire East.”

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk...ates_Middlewich_bus_service_after_complaints/

Established Member
Does anyone know why CEC haven't updated their website recently with the latest bus information. Their is loads of out of date information and no mention of GHA's 39 service when I last looked. They also seem to have given up on Twitter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.