• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
You use one of the only examples in the borough to try and prove my point wrong!

There's actually quite a few. The 47 and Handforth Dean shuttles are the most noticable instances of larges buses being used on public bus services that only operate when the vehicle isn't needed for the school or college service. The 316/319 provides another example. And while the 93 is a Staffordshire local, it's worked by the same bus that operates the Shavington Academy 863. Then there's instances of where a normal bus service goes off-pattern and off it's normal route to serve a school or college. The 82 in Cheshire West being the most obvious example but there's other examples too, like the 318.

To the average passenger it doesn't matter if a school contract is run by an Arriva decker or a Holmeswood coach. What matters is whether the public bus service is timetabled to fit around the school service or timetabled to suit passenger demand.

The colleges are the worst for it. They charge students more than it would cost them on the local bus and use stupid excuses like 'safeguarding' (16-19 year olds, safeguarding? They can go out all night and all weekends in towns, cities and on transport. Some of them can even go on full nights out and buy alcohol and cigarettes, but oh no, to get to college, they need safeguarding. Pull the other one).

You might be aware that both Cheshire West and Cheshire East withdrew funding to support school travel for faith schools and for 16+ scholars in further education. That means schools and colleges have to contract their own services and often sell passes themselves with the contracted operator instructed to only pick up those who have a school/college pass.

For an operator like Roy McCarthy coaches they can't run a coach to All Hallows for a reduced price because the majority of passengers are under 16. So, for children, the designated school service becomes more expensive than a public bus. That's why the St Nicholas High services to Lostock Gralam and Knutsford stopped, as they were more expensive to use than the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
There's actually quite a few. The 47 and Handforth Dean shuttles are the most noticable instances of larges buses being used on public bus services that only operate when the vehicle isn't needed for the school or college service. The 316/319 provides another example. And while the 93 is a Staffordshire local, it's worked by the same bus that operates the Shavington Academy 863. Then there's instances of where a normal bus service goes off-pattern and off it's normal route to serve a school or college. The 82 in Cheshire West being the most obvious example but there's other examples too, like the 318.
I didn't mean larger buses being provided to fit around some schools, that happens all over. It's more the 188, 72/73 and 42 are the only routes that I can think of which are scheduled to take schools kids. Nothing for the colleges anymore since Macclesfield college got rid of the diversions.

Cheshire West is better for it but not perfect still. Even then, their schools are not open to the public, they are school kids only so any potential journey options to boost the local bus network are not taken advantage of.

To the average passenger it doesn't matter if a school contract is run by an Arriva decker or a Holmeswood coach. What matters is whether the public bus service is timetabled to fit around the school service or timetabled to suit passenger demand.
Coaches are frowned upon by the elderly as it's much more difficult for them to climb the steps and accommodate shopping trolleys. Pat's 1Whitchurch 146 does this and it can cause a few issues.

While yes the service may not be specifically suited to public demand, if it fills gaps in timetables, it can help the wider network as people say they have more buses per day and so that enables them to travel more. Or if it's like Macclesfield to Congleton with a lot of college buses, if these students were on the 38, the 38 would be more viable and have to run more frequently and so that has huge benefits for everyone else. Biddulph to Congleton is another one, a good few buses there, if D&G ran that on the 94, maybe Saturdays could then come back on as they then have the school revenue to cross subsidise. You have to look at the wider benefits of it rather than 'its just one trip being made available to the public'

You might be aware that both Cheshire West and Cheshire East withdrew funding to support school travel for faith schools and for 16+ scholars in further education. That means schools and colleges have to contract their own services and often sell passes themselves with the contracted operator instructed to only pick up those who have a school/college pass.

For an operator like Roy McCarthy coaches they can't run a coach to All Hallows for a reduced price because the majority of passengers are under 16. So, for children, the designated school service becomes more expensive than a public bus.
I know operators can't do it off their own backs and more is down to the education establishments but there is still no reason why everyone can't work together and save students and councils or education authorities some money as well as provide an improved public transport network. Find the negatives there? It is literally what all of the councils claim to want. More buses, less cost. Bingo.

Worth noting too that if a bus is available to the public, it becomes eligible for grants so that can reduce the cost of the service.

That's why the St Nicholas High services to Lostock Gralam and Knutsford stopped, as they were more expensive to use than the train.
Now if that was on the 89 instead, it would have given better links from Knutsford to Northwich and enabled people to make journeys which they currently can't due to the poor timetable on the 89. Same bus, same times, same driver. Just taking fares from a few local passengers.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Now if that was on the 89 instead, it would have given better links from Knutsford to Northwich and enabled people to make journeys which they currently can't due to the poor timetable on the 89. Same bus, same times, same driver. Just taking fares from a few local passengers.

Have you seen how many St Nicholas pupils board the train at Greenbank in the direction of Lostock and Knutsford? You wouldn't fit them all on a double decker bus, even if you used all the standing capacity. You'd have to have the normal 89 bus running just behind a double decker. Then where does the double decker go between the morning and afternoon runs?

Coaches are frowned upon by the elderly as it's much more difficult for them to climb the steps and accommodate shopping trolleys.

Coaches are more expensive to operate but if a coach is being used on a school/college contract then it's not be taken off a regular service to run it.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Have you seen how many St Nicholas pupils board the train at Greenbank in the direction of Lostock and Knutsford? You wouldn't fit them all on a double decker bus, even if you used all the standing capacity. You'd have to have the normal 89 bus running just behind a double decker. Then where does the double decker go between the morning and afternoon runs?
Nothing stops it running alongside the train. People like a choice and they decide what works best for them.

Coaches are more expensive to operate but if a coach is being used on a school/college contract then it's not be taken off a regular service to run it.
Just having a bus on schools doesn't mean local service is suffering. See Merseyside where none of the Merseytravel school buses are ran with coaches, all service buses and they work perfectly fine. One of the only things that I can praise Merseytravel for, having school buses as normal local buses, open to the public.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Just having a bus on schools doesn't mean local service is suffering. See Merseyside where none of the Merseytravel school buses are ran with coaches, all service buses and they work perfectly fine. One of the only things that I can praise Merseytravel for, having school buses as normal local buses, open to the public.

Like I said already:
"To the average passenger it doesn't matter if a school contract is run by an Arriva decker or a Holmeswood coach. What matters is whether the public bus service is timetabled to fit around the school service or timetabled to suit passenger demand."

Martin2013

Thanks for this really interesting response. Can it be said that the bus companies that provide school and college services compete for the custom of passengers or are students generally allocated to a service by the local authority?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The problem with the 89 is that it's the only service that uses a suitably sized bus out of all of them, thanks to the 188. If it wasn't for the 188, they'd use the small Solos on it, like they do for the last bus to Macclesfield, despite knowing it picks up office workers from Radbrook Hall. It's a shame I never took a photo, as I'm sure the traffic commissioner would've loved to have seen it. People sitting in the aisle and 2 people to a seat in some cases.

Simon75

On Moderation
The 19 Macclesfield to Prestbury, has 1 morning/afternoon journey extending to from Mottram St Andrews. This I suspect replaces what was E18 Fallibroome High to Mottram St Andrews schools service (not sure when)

SeanM1997

Lakeside Coaches are replacing Arriva North West on a school service between Winsford and Tarporley High

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The problem with the 89 is that it's the only service that uses a suitably sized bus out of all of them, thanks to the 188. If it wasn't for the 188, they'd use the small Solos on it, like they do for the last bus to Macclesfield, despite knowing it picks up office workers from Radbrook Hall. It's a shame I never took a photo, as I'm sure the traffic commissioner would've loved to have seen it. People sitting in the aisle and 2 people to a seat in some cases.

Looking at bus times, the last 88 to Macclesfield hasn't been a Solo either this week or last. The allocation has been a bit random though, with it getting a 26 seater Enviro some days and a 41 seater Streetlite on others

The 19 Macclesfield to Prestbury, has 1 morning/afternoon journey extending to from Mottram St Andrews. This I suspect replaces what was E18 Fallibroome High to Mottram St Andrews schools service (not sure when)

The 19 extensions are funded by McCann Manchester, a large marketing agency.

SeanM1997

VOSA Bus Registration has found 2 variation applications submitted in Macclesfield

1. D&G Route 19
  • Registration numberPD1128125/150
  • Licence NumberPD1128125
  • Variation number1
  • StatusVariation
  • Service number.19
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointMacclesfield Bus Station
  • Finish pointParkhouse Drive, Prestbury, Macclesfield
  • ViaWhirley Barn
  • Date received28 Mar 2023
  • Effective date23 Apr 2023
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?Yes
  • Local authorities covered by routeCheshire East Council
  • TAOs covered by routeNorth West of England
2. High Peak Route 14
  • Registration numberPC0001086/96
  • Licence NumberPC0001086
  • Variation number1
  • StatusVariation
  • Service number.14
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Hail & Ride
  • Start pointMacclesfield Bus Station
  • Finish pointLangley
  • Via
  • Date received28 Mar 2023
  • Effective date23 Apr 2023
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?In Part
  • Local authorities covered by routeCheshire East Council
  • TAOs covered by routeNorth West of England
Both routes are to change from 23 April, so it will be interesting if they are having a slight reroute/frequency change in light of the termination of Arriva's services from this date

I have no other information at this time about these filings if anyone can assist.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Has anyone heard where D&G are getting buses from?

A few Enviros from The Bus Shop have turned up the Chaserider Cannock depot. That might be directly or indirectly related to D&G taking on the Arriva routes.

VOSA Bus Registration has found 2 variation applications submitted in Macclesfield

1. D&G Route 19

2. High Peak Route 14

Both routes are to change from 23 April, so it will be interesting if they are having a slight reroute/frequency change in light of the termination of Arriva's services from this date

I have no other information at this time about these filings if anyone can assist.

D&G have also applied to vary their 8 service in Crewe from the same date

Warrington Buses CAT9/9A (Warrington-Northwich) is to be varied from 6 April 2023

No idea what the changes are but wonder if they are looking at taking a section of an Arriva route?

Change confirmed on the operator's website now

CAT9The 1840 Mon to Fri CAT9 now departs at 1835 and the 1820 Saturday CAT9 now departs at 1815.

Last edited:

SeanM1997

Yes the 8 has been accepted. Posted it on #2,845 on Friday

Not sure what the change is and the route the 8 serves doesn't really conflict with Arriva

1. D&G Route 19

2. High Peak Route 14

High Peak 14 now says 14, 14A...so interesting if they are in fact launching a new sub-route

Service number.14, 14A

Last edited:

Arriva are really starting to struggle to run a service now.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I was out & in the afternoon the #38 was down to 1 vehicle. Neither of the Winsford duties ran; it was only the Macclesfield duty running.

Today again as there wasn't a driver the 12:30 #38 to Macclesfield didn't run, nor did the 11:27 #37 to Northwich that I was hoping to catch.

Problem is some drivers aren't working till the end to get their redundancy payouts. They're hacked off, understandably, so some have already left for other jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

northwichcat

Veteran Member

Yesterday (tuesday) I was out & in the afternoon the #38 was down to 1 vehicle. Neither of the winsford duties ran it was only the macc duty running.

Today again as there wasn't a driver the 12:30 #38 to macc didn't run nor did the 11:27 #37 to northwich that I was hoping to catch.

Problem is some drivers aren't working till the end to get their redundancy payouts they're hacked off understandably so some have already left for other jobs.

Submit a compliant to the traffic comissioner. One of their strange powers is they can order a failing operator to do something to benefit passengers.

itsonlyme

Intended to catch 10:38 Route 84 Crewe - Chester today. Saw on Arriva app journey cancelled so did not travel.

Please get rid of them now, and let another operator get on with providing a stable service.

Arriva cut their own throat in Crewe with the strikes soon after the pandemic was over, and then frequent cancellations. The council then got their oar in with long running roadworks and diversions on the 84 route.

sonic2009

Established Member
My two services I can use were also cancelled this morning 0650 31 Crewe to Northwich & 0655 37 to Northwich.

Yet the Winsford circular services were running around fine

SeanM1997

M803UYA

Yesterday (Tuesday) I was out & in the afternoon the #38 was down to 1 vehicle. Neither of the Winsford duties ran; it was only the Macclesfield duty running.

Today again as there wasn't a driver the 12:30 #38 to Macclesfield didn't run, nor did the 11:27 #37 to Northwich that I was hoping to catch.

Problem is some drivers aren't working till the end to get their redundancy payouts. They're hacked off, understandably, so some have already left for other jobs.
Why wait to be fired when you can find alternative work beforehand on better terms?

sonic2009

Established Member
I've heard from a few drivers at Arriva that some face not getting redundancy as part of a TUPE deal across to D&G.

Why wait to be fired when you can find alternative work beforehand on better terms?

I can see the logic in this, but Arriva in the last few months haven't really thought about priorities - if it was me and the 31 or 37 was a driver shortage but yet both 7A and 7C were covered i would at least try and sort the main trunk routes out first.

This is where the downfall of passenger numbers in the Cheshire area has gone, passengers get fed up of buses breaking down, or not running, so therefore don't use them.

RELL6L

It does look pretty poor out there. A Chester 84 missing, two 2-hour gaps on the 38, the 10 only one bus in the morning peak in Macclesfield, ditto the 4 in Northwich, at least one missing on the 31/37s. If you had been recruited in the last couple of years you probably wouldn't get any redundancy so why wait - Arriva should have incentivised staff to work through to the end. I hope the Traffic Commissioners throw the book at them.

sonic2009

Established Member
It does look pretty poor out there. A Chester 84 missing, two 2-hour gaps on the 38, the 10 only one bus in the morning peak in Macclesfield, ditto the 4 in Northwich, at least one missing on the 31/37s. If you had been recruited in the last couple of years you probably wouldn't get any redundancy so why wait - Arriva should have incentivised staff to work through to the end. I hope the Traffic Commissioners throw the book at them.

Do we know if anyone has actually reported them to the TC?

D&G taking over the routes won't provide more reliable vehicles.

We will see what happens - i suspect D&G will want to try and make a go of this.

A0wen

On Moderation
I've heard from a few drivers at Arriva that some face not getting redundancy as part of a TUPE deal across to D&G.

If TUPE is on the table - then that would be correct.

You can't offer a choice between redundancy or TUPE. You can offer a "voluntary" redundancy with some form of severance / compromise agreement instead of TUPE. But the point is if there is a TUPE, then the role isn't technically being made redundant as there's still the need for the job role, it's just that it's with a different employer on the basis your current employer is prepared to sell / outsource that work to another employer.

If it's a case of Arriva have 10 drivers and D&G only need 5 then there would need to be a selection process which all go through and 5 would be offered a TUPE, which if they declined would then mean they are effectively resigning and therefore not eligible for a severance package and the other 5 would be made redundant.

Pub

If TUPE is on the table - then that would be correct.

You can't offer a choice between redundancy or TUPE. You can offer a "voluntary" redundancy with some form of severance / compromise agreement instead of TUPE. But the point is if there is a TUPE, then the role isn't technically being made redundant as there's still the need for the job role, it's just that it's with a different employer on the basis your current employer is prepared to sell / outsource that work to another employer.

If it's a case of Arriva have 10 drivers and D&G only need 5 then there would need to be a selection process which all go through and 5 would be offered a TUPE, which if they declined would then mean they are effectively resigning and therefore not eligible for a severance package and the other 5 would be made redundant.
If drivers move under TUPE then they take their existing Terms and Conditions with them. If the Arriva rate of pay is higher than D and G ( I dont know if this is the case) then you have some drivers getting more than others in the same depot. You then could have the D&G drivers asking for a pay rise to bring all drivers on the same rate.

A0wen

On Moderation
If drivers move under TUPE then they take their existing Terms and Conditions with them. If the Arriva rate of pay is higher than D and G ( I dont know if this is the case) then you have some drivers getting more than others in the same depot. You then could have the D&G drivers asking for a pay rise to bring all drivers on the same rate.

That's true but in reality that may already be the case on differing salaries based on either length of service or experience - but it is probably still advantageous for D&G to part takeover Arriva's operations, even if it's for a symbolic £ 1.

By doing so, they stand to employ a number of drivers without having to go out to market and through a recruitment process all of which costs money.

For Arriva it reduces the potential redundancy bill.

For a number of drivers it means they go seamlessly from one employer to the next without any interview or loss of service entitlements.

The only losers are those who thought they'd get a redundancy payout from Arriva and walk straight into another job - be it with D&G or anyone else - and instead are being offered a TUPE as their choice is either to TUPE or effectively resign and get a new job.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

As Arriva don't have depots in Northwich or Crewe and D&G don't have depots in Winsford or Macclesfield, the sticking point might be what exactly the Arriva contracts say in relation to the location of the role. A driver living in Bollington might not consider Stoke, Crewe or Northwich to be suitable alternative locations to be based. If D&G were taking on the Arriva depots and all routes it would be a different matter.

SeanM1997

1. D&G Route 19

2. High Peak Route 14

These 2 routes have now been accepted - so hopefully a timetable will be public soon

Status
Not open for further replies.