• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 20's on the Brighton Main line

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-COR 3142

Was out and about today watching 442's & 319's while I still can and on the lookout for new 387's. Whilst at Gatwick a pair of GBRF Choppers 20 905 & 20 901 ran through southbound at about 13:45.

I caught a train to Burgess Hill and returned to BH station to catch the 15:01 thameslink service to Brighton. Again the two Choppers passed through light engine just prior to my service arriving.

I saw them for a third time waiting in the eastern most platform at Preston Park as my train passed - Pics attached - so presumably they could've been heading onto the West Coastway?

Does anyone know where they were off too and what for?

Attachments

• 387 069.jpg
    387 069.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 125
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
I'm not 100% sure, but I have heard there have been Class 20s (not sure which) on railhead treatment trains in the area. There has been a good push for these trains (whether loco-hauled or MPV-operated) to run in the area this autumn/winter, which appears to have generally proved effective, so I am sure if these can be used they will be. I'm not sure if this might have been a test run of some sort in connection with said RHTTs.

fgwrich

Established Member
Indeed, these pair were working the Tonbridge to Tonbridge GBRf operated RHTT set today. They may be out on it again tomorrow - same time as today if likely.

4-COR 3142

What's the route for the Tonbridge to Tonbridge RHTT then? and what should they have in tow?

All three occasions I saw them on the Brighton they were light engine.

Yabbadabba

It never went to Newhaven and instead just went to Preston Park and back. Not a very good picture but it was the best I could do at the time, passing Three Bridges on the up slow line being passed by an up Thameslink on the up fast line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
What's the route for the Tonbridge to Tonbridge RHTT then? and what should they have in tow?

All three occasions I saw them on the Brighton they were light engine.

Sorry, I wasn't aware earlier they were running light together. They should be about to find their way on the RHTT circuit tomorrow though as they should now been paired together with NR's water jetting / sandite modules at Tonbridge Yard. Today's run was a driver refresh instead. The 20s didn't reach Newhaven due to a level crossing failure, resulting in the leg to Newhaven being cancelled.

9064450_orig.jpg

>>Picture by Mark V. Pike. 25-11-14. Taking a break from delivering new London Underground tube stock, and to relieve the pressure on using Class 73s, GBRf Class 20s Nos. 20905 and 20901 have recently moved east to Kent to help out on track cleaning duties. The pair are seen in Tonbridge Yard with a two vehicle Rail Head Treatment Train (RHTT) on 18 November 2014.

Or if the link above doesn't work, it will be the picture of the day for November the 25th.

http://www.railway-centre.com/november-2014.html

Last edited:

4-COR 3142

Thanks fgwrich, good to know.

Whatever the workings it was SO lovely to hear the two old girls whistling their way south today, sounded like the ghosts of tinsley yard had made it to God's wonderful county.;)

physics34

Established Member
Would love them to come down the uckfield line. That would surely be a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.