• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 317 withdrawals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trains66779

Good evening all,
Could anyone help me with what the last passenger services were for both class 317 669 and 317 509 please? I have their repeater panels in the form of flamecuts and would love to create a little display to showcase their workings etc. I would also appreciate any history on the two units specifically please.
Also like a previous poster here has already asked ,what is the plan for the remaining 317s at Ely and how many are there please?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Good evening all,
Could anyone help me with what the last passenger services were for both class 317 669 and 317 509 please? I have their repeater panels in the form of flamecuts and would love to create a little display to showcase their workings etc. I would also appreciate any history on the two units specifically please.
Also like a previous poster here has already asked ,what is the plan for the remaining 317s at Ely and how many are there please?
I believe scrap most likely Newport Docks Simms. I believe 23 are there. However 4 went for Scrap May 2022. Earlier on from the original fleet size of 27 retained 317s from earlier on ie January 2022 this year.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Good evening all,
317509 22/12/20 20:14 Colchester-Liverpool Street.
317669 09/10/18 07:30 Ely-Liverpool Street. This was the first class 317 to be withdrawn.

There are 23 class 317s at Ely, no doubt all destined for a one way trip to Sims. Only four units with PRM mods have been scrapped, I think they are 317342/348/513/515.

EDIT: Apologies, the first class 317 to be withdrawn was 317722 way back in June 2016. It was the demonstrator with new motors and different interiors fitted to some vehicles.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Although not related to withdrawal or scrapping the preserved 317 at EARM has been repainted into NSE colours. First time in my life I’ve ever seen a 317 in NSE (being too young to remember)

Just vinyled I noticed. It does look very smart, but I’m not too sure about the Grey - is it a little too light for the version of NSE carried on the 317s?

physics34

Established Member
Just vinyled I noticed. It does look very smart, but I’m not too sure about the Grey - is it a little too light for the version of NSE carried on the 317s?
Thats what i was thinking. Maybe the blue is too.

On Moderation
Thats what i was thinking. Maybe the blue is too.
The grey looks way too light (is it the same shade as applied to the 319/1s and 442s, but not 317s?) but the blue looks about right for the original version of NSE. However should the upsweeps be angled rather than curved in that version?

fgwrich

Established Member
The grey looks way too light (is it the same shade as applied to the 319/1s and 442s, but not 317s?) but the blue looks about right for the original version of NSE. However should the upsweeps be angled rather than curved in that version?
The sweeps are fine, but the grey is definitely the later version (159 / 319/1 / 321 / 442 / 465).

On Moderation
The sweeps are fine, but the grey is definitely the later version (159 / 319/1 / 321 / 442 / 465).

The blue looks lighter than that though. NSE blue was changed to a darker shade after a while and around the same time the upsweep was changed to a curve rather than angled. The unit behind in the photo you linked has the angled upsweep.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Co
317509 22/12/20 20:14 Colchester-Liverpool Street.
317669 09/10/18 07:30 Ely-Liverpool Street. This was the first class 317 to be withdrawn.

There are 23 class 317s at Ely, no doubt all destined for a one way trip to Sims. Only four units with PRM mods have been scrapped, I think they are 317342/348/513/515.
Correct. Around middle May both on Either Thursdays or Fridays think it was the Middle two Fridays in May 2022.

Trains66779

I believe scrap most likely Newport Docks Simms. I believe 23 are there. However 4 went for Scrap May 2022. Earlier on from the original fleet size of 27 retained 317s from earlier on ie January 2022 this year.
Thank you very much. Some fascinating information. Have a lovely weekend.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Thank you very much. Some fascinating information. Have a lovely weekend.
And the same to you. Also out of interest.
37800 took 317513 317348 for scrap on the 20th May 2022.
37800 took 317342 317515 for scrap on 27th May 2022.
However a Rail Operations Group driver told me a couple of months ago the rest will go to Newport when Angel Trains decide Time to scrap is due for them to go.

Spittingyarn

Hi, My son is super-keen to catch a glimpse of the class 317s in the Ely Papworth sidings. I just wanted to check that (a) they were still there, and (b) seek any information on how to best to see them. Is there a way to see them on foot rather than a passing glimpse? Thanks, from a rail novice.

Hi, My son is super-keen to catch a glimpse of the class 317s in the Ely Papworth sidings. I just wanted to check that (a) they were still there, and (b) seek any information on how to best to see them. Is there a way to see them on foot rather than a passing glimpse? Thanks, from a rail novice.
Follow Kiln Lane to the end where there's an industrial area. Where the road turns right to a set of gates, there should be a left turn with a public footpath crossing a bridge. Follow that path and it will take you along part of the perimeter of Ely Papworth Sidings. Personally, I found my best views of the 317's from that foot path. Whether there are any left and where abouts in Papworth Sidings are they is another story which I can't help you with I'm afraid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221025-203922_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20221025-203922_Maps.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 65

Bikeman78

Established Member
There are still 23 class 317s at Ely. Already three months since the last run. I'm surprised that they are still there.

Spittingyarn

Follow Kiln Lane to the end where there's an industrial area. Where the road turns right to a set of gates, there should be a left turn with a public footpath crossing a bridge. Follow that path and it will take you along part of the perimeter of Ely Papworth Sidings. Personally, I found my best views of the 317's from that foot path. Whether there are any left and where abouts in Papworth Sidings are they is another story which I can't help you with I'm afraid.
Thanks for this. Really helpful.

There are still 23 class 317s at Ely. Already three months since the last run. I'm surprised that they are still there.
Really good to know. Thanks!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Believe it or not, these units had dilapidation work completed on them before being returned!
I completely believe it. At least one of the Southern 455s had graffiti washed off after moving from Hove to Stewarts Lane. They were only ever going on a one way trip to Sims, so it was a complete waste of time and money, not to mention water.

Wolfie

Established Member
Believe it or not, these units had dilapidation work completed on them before being returned!
I absolutely believe it. I remember a certain Govt building which was going off-lease having significant work done to it (due to clauses on condition on return) even though it was going to be demolished.

CStock04

Has there been any developments on their disposal? Anything on the horizon or are they just going to continue to await their fate for now?
I had been in contact with Angel Trains in August regarding the future of the remaining 317 sets at Papworth and have been told they were currently `awaiting the outcome of a potential releasing opportunity`.

This claim was further backed up during a recent trip to Eastleigh where this leasing opportunity was brought up in conversation with staff, I was told they were also monitoring this opportunity with the hope of bringing some more 317s to Eastleigh if it doesn't occur.

No real developments has happened with this `releasing opportunity` which means unfortunately the future of the remaining 317s remains in a sort of purgatory.

bramling

Veteran Member
I had been in contact with Angel Trains in August regarding the future of the remaining 317 sets at Papworth and have been told they were currently `awaiting the outcome of a potential releasing opportunity`.

This claim was further backed up during a recent trip to Eastleigh where this leasing opportunity was brought up in conversation with staff, I was told they were also monitoring this opportunity with the hope of bringing some more 317s to Eastleigh if it doesn't occur.

No real developments has happened with this `releasing opportunity` which means unfortunately the future of the remaining 317s remains in a sort of purgatory.

Really hard to think who might actually want to lease them, especially when there's other rather new stock either gone for scrap (365) or store (321, 379), and plenty more to come (Renatus 321s, 350/2).

Still, the railway works in strange ways, so anything is possible, especially in current times.

GTR lease them on a dirt-cheap lease and put them back on GN, to release 387s to Southern?! :)

CStock04

I like to theorise this `releasing opportunity` is related to Vivarail or someone else who would convert the 317s for different usage a bit like the Renatus 321 Vivarail battery deal as I don't feel as if the 317s are suited for proper mainline service anymore.

Don't get me wrong though I would love a thrash on a 317 up to Cambridge again! only time will tell what the future holds for these units though.

On Moderation

Really hard to think who might actually want to lease them, especially when there's other rather new stock either gone for scrap (365) or store (321, 379), and plenty more to come (Renatus 321s, 350/2).

Still, the railway works in strange ways, so anything is possible, especially in current times.

GTR lease them on a dirt-cheap lease and put them back on GN, to release 387s to Southern?! :)

I like to theorise this `releasing opportunity` is related to Vivarail or someone else who would convert the 317s for different usage a bit like the Renatus 321 Vivarail battery deal as I don't feel as if the 317s are suited for proper mainline service anymore.

Don't get me wrong though I would love a thrash on a 317 up to Cambridge again! only time will tell what the future holds for these units though.

I wouldn't read anything into what Angel have said. "Potential re-leasing opportunities" is standard ROSCO-speak. ROSCOs are always going to be looking for re-leasing opportunities!

Cam317

I am very interested in the whereabouts of the University of Cambridge plaque, which is on 317 507. Does anyone know if this unit has been scrapped, or is it in ely? Would the plaques be removed before scrapping?

Bikeman78

Established Member
I am very interested in the whereabouts of the University of Cambridge plaque, which is on 317 507. Does anyone know if this unit has been scrapped, or is it in ely? Would the plaques be removed before scrapping?
The unit is still at Ely. The nameplates were removed a few weeks before it finished. Today is six months since the last one ran in service. Doesn't time fly.

LiftFan

The unit is still at Ely. The nameplates were removed a few weeks before it finished. Today is six months since the last one ran in service. Doesn't time fly.
Time definitely flies- I may be in the minority here when I say I much preferred the heatwave then to the freezing sideways rain we've been having recently!

D7672

On Moderation
8 class 317s due to move from Ely to newport within next 2 weeks,23 sets stored there at present