• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350/2 for SWR if 458 fails.

YSTrains

On Moderation
The Class 458s are still not in use as previously, SWR declared they wont operate the PMH service and there are 37 350/2s to replace the 30 458s. Can this ever be a possibility if the 458s fail and would they be compatible with the 450s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The Class 458s are still not in use as previously, SWR declared they wont operate the PMH service and there are 37 350/2s to replace the 30 458s. Can this ever be a possibility if the 458s fail and would they be compatible with the 450s?
The 350/2s are not DC capable as they stand, they’d need all the DC shoe gear and cabling etc to be fitted. Far better to use the 350/2s where there’s already overhead electrification.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Can this ever be a possibility if the 458s fail and would they be compatible with the 450s?
In what sense are the 458s going to fail? The previous postings indicate that SWR don't need the capacity that the 458s were due to offer.

In that context, SWR doesn't need 350s, even if they could be converted to run on DC and be treated as extra 450s.

Sutton in Ant

I can only see the 350/2s going to an operator that has overhead wiring, not DC unless the operator is prepared to spend extra to put in new bogies with shoes to work off the 3rd rail.

YSTrains

On Moderation
In what sense are the 458s going to fail?
There are no plans for these units even though they are refurbishing them. Cant porterbrook offer to convert 350/2s? The 458s have been problematic since the beginning like all other coradia units. Wouldn't it be better to have an all desiro fleet?

D365

Veteran Member
In what way would this scenario benefit Porterbrook, which owns the Class 458 and Class 350/2 fleets.

LUYMun

The 350/2s are not DC capable as they stand, they’d need all the DC shoe gear and cabling etc to be fitted. Far better to use the 350/2s where there’s already overhead electrification.
The 350/1s had third rail shoes fitted previously, when some were subleased to Southern for the West London line services, so the 350/2s aren't that far off, mechanical-wise. Just copy the blueprints over and you're sorted.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Wouldn't it be better to have an all desiro fleet?
Well, an all desiro fleet apart from the large fleet of 701s. However, this can be done without 350s and without 458s. The point is that the extra capacity the 458s would have provided isn't now needed.

Neptune

Established Member
There are no plans for these units even though they are refurbishing them. Cant porterbrook offer to convert 350/2s? The 458s have been problematic since the beginning like all other coradia units. Wouldn't it be better to have an all desiro fleet?
On the contrary, at one stage in the period prior to 5 car conversion they were one of, if not the most reliable DC EMU’s on the network.

D365

Veteran Member
Just copy the blueprints over and you're sorted.
It’s never a ”just”. Retrofit of traction cabling is invasive and expensive. Plus the structural assessments for fitting shoegear and electrical / safety certification.

jamieh27

I can only see the 350/2s going to an operator that has overhead wiring, not DC unless the operator is prepared to spend extra to put in new bogies with shoes to work off the 3rd rail.
I thought I heard that 350/2s were going to have battery added onto them

Wernt the 350/2s supoosed to be fitted with batteries under something entitled 'Battery flex' ?
THats what I thought.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought I heard that 350/2s were going to have battery added onto them

THats what I thought.
Mentioned as a proposal by the ROSCO in late 2021 but I don’t think there’s been any sign of physical activity since. Might never happen.