• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

gazr

I try to keep up to date with these moves at https://www.ukraillog.co.uk/fleet-data/emu/701 - although these unit moves (without internal systems) are hard work trying to keep up to date so I can't guarantee this is 100% correct. Try the link and type "Worksop" into the Search Fleet box :)

Edit: If anyone else checks this and spots any errors, then let me know :)
Just had a peek and 701/5 formations are only showing 4 carriage numbers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

03_179

Established Member

Snow1964

Established Member
001/007/008/010 501/502
All these at Worksop are in the list not yet with Rock Rail, so presumably still owned by Alstom.

Rock Rail don't seem to have units :
001-003, 005, 007-010, 020-021, 036, 039, 053, 055-060,
501-507, 511, 513-530

(might be error with 053, also one unit seemed to have 2 charges which is confusing the list)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Four in Clapham Yard today:

701 014
701 017
701 037
701 042

May I suggest the nickname for these should be "Unicorns" on the grounds that their appearance in service is mythical...?

deepeetw

Four in Clapham Yard today:

701 014
701 017
701 037
701 042

May I suggest the nickname for these should be "Unicorns" on the grounds that their appearance in service is mythical...?

There has normally been a /5 or two sat around in addition to that - a good bit of Clapham Yard seems to be being given over to these unusable trains.

Invincible

5Q50/1/2 test ran today, anyone has the unit number?
Does not seem to be any other test runs? (like 5Q10 Reading or 5Q20/22 Hounslow loop)

TEW

Established Member
5Q50/1/2 test ran today, anyone has the unit number?
Does not seem to be any other test runs? (like 5Q10 Reading or 5Q20/22 Hounslow loop)
I think it was 507+511. Definitely a pair of 5 cars.

Goldfish62

Established Member
From a private Facebook group (SWR Enthusiasts), 16th Oct saw the first runs crewed by SWR Driver Managers on 701014.

The standard Windsor stopping pattern was used, which happens to be the first services they'll appear on in service.

willt156

From a private Facebook group (SWR Enthusiasts), 16th Oct saw the first runs crewed by SWR Driver Managers on 701014.

The standard Windsor stopping pattern was used, which happens to be the first services they'll appear on in service.
The Reading, Windsor and Hounslow loop tests are also officially being classed as SWR services now (no longer GBRF) - it appears some progress is finally being made.

Last edited:

Milo T.K

If they were to get them in service this year, how many drivers would they need to train for the first one?

willt156

If they were to get them in service this year, how many drivers would they need to train for the first one?
That really depends on how many days of training are required and how many drivers are needed for the daily workings of a unit. If the tests are running regularly and driver training is taking place as indicated, it is feasible that we may see a couple in service by the end of the year, although with how many problems there have been that remains unseen.

Mainsideman

That really depends on how many days of training are required and how many drivers are needed for the daily workings of a unit. If the tests are running regularly and driver training is taking place as indicated, it is feasible that we may see a couple in service by the end of the year, although with how many problems there have been that remains unseen.
Driver training is not currently taking place as far as im aware. Guard training needs to also be done which has not started either

jwhite9185

515/516 out and about this morning. Heading South through Woking, then back towards London an hour or two later.

Wrapping still on the seats, but no banners across the doors from what I could see.

Snow1964

Established Member
Very much doubt it unless Guards trainers/managers for their own training. Most SWR ECS never has a guard.

How long would it take to train a guard that is trained on 458 and 707.

Theres a limit to how long can show SWR suburban guard where to sit down, put bag and hide from passengers and use use a door handle (sorry labled switch which works the doors). Most of it is variation in location of what they already know from other stock. Let's be honest wasn't like guards got days and days of training when changing from mk1 coach to mk2 coach.

I assume we are talking type conversion training, not learning the complete guards role. From my experience of over 20 years commuting into Waterloo when there is problem on the train not like the guards know by rote where the isolation and override switches are and can flick them in seconds in panels without studying what is available first.

RobShipway

Established Member
How long would it take to train a guard that is trained on 458 and 707.

Theres a limit to how long can show SWR suburban guard where to sit down, put bag and hide from passengers and use use a door handle (sorry labled switch which works the doors). Most of it is variation in location of what they already know from other stock. Let's be honest wasn't like guards got days and days of training when changing from mk1 coach to mk2 coach.

I assume we are talking type conversion training, not learning the complete guards role. From my experience of over 20 years commuting into Waterloo when there is problem on the train not like the guards know by rote where the isolation and override switches are and can flick them in seconds in panels without studying what is available first.
I am going to be really picky now, but you have also got the difference places where to be finding fire extinguisher, first aid kits and which windows in each carriage can be broken if required to exit the train. Depending on the depth of training, that could take a few days to make sure the guard is up to speed on passenger safety on the class 701 units as compared tow here they are located on class 458 or 707 units.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Usually courses are 5 days for drivers and 2 days for guards, although I’d imagine driver course may be longer as they have to learn DOO and all the different aspects of the PTI etc

Invincible

515/516 out and about this morning. Heading South through Woking, then back towards London an hour or two later.

Wrapping still on the seats, but no banners across the doors from what I could see.
5Q50/1/2 shown as running today on RTT, but does not show if same unit numbers?

If its of any interest, 701516 and 517 are currently sat in platform 6 at Waterloo this evening. Seats all covered in rock rail seat covers and all doors appear to have an "Alstom, do not board, train in testing sign".20231025_202928.jpg