• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Saw 5Q64 this morning 701015 pulled by a diesel 47727 heading towards Willseden for modifications? RTT does not say the operator presumably GBRF if diesel hauled?
This reminds me, yesterday afternoon I saw 47727 with 701031 in the up yard at Woking. Presume it was working 5Q99 1630 Woking to Eastleigh.

James Finch

Geoff Marshall was at the Waterloo press event today, staff are telling him they will be in service in 2023:

175th Birthday Event at London Waterloo (including cupcakes!) this morning where there was a new Class 701 parked up on Platform 19. The official word from SWR is that the first one really will be in service 'as soon as possible' now in 2023!

Pdf

I think a 701 has been to Waterloo more times to be displayed to the public than visiting on test!
Good thing they've taken so long to get into service or there wouldn't be any "new" trains to show off for the event.

On Moderation
Where have we heard that one before...
It'll be like TPE's Mark 3s. Will run one train on 31st December 2023 to hiot the deadline (conveiently ignoring howver many years late they'll be by then) and then never be heard of again.

Moderator note: Please keep to Class 701 updates in this thread. Discussion regarding TPE Mk3s can be found at:

Last edited by a moderator:

RedPostJunc

This reminds me, yesterday afternoon I saw 47727 with 701031 in the up yard at Woking. Presume it was working 5Q99 1630 Woking to Eastleigh.

It was.

TEW

Established Member
The additional seat padding over and above the standard ironing board is evident there.
Yes, the seats themselves are surprisingly comfortable for ironing boards although because of the lack of any space between the two seats they're going to be a bit cramped.

There’s a pair of 701 seats in the meeting room I was in today and by the time I attended the table and chairs had gone. So I sat in the 701 seats. They are comfortable enough to sit through an hours meeting.

gazr

Another 701 being taken to Wimbledon this morning (thanks to a GBRf 47). Activity is certainly ramping up.

As Wimbledon folk are on here, 5914 sounds like it has a problem towards the centre of the train- have noticed it sounding odd for a couple of days.

Pdf

But aren't all graffiti "artists" stupid, as they are damaging things that aren't their property?
There's stupid, then there's trespassing on a military site stupid. (Though it seems this one isn't actually used by the military any more)

pompeyfan

Established Member
Im pretty sure that live munitions trains still run to and from the port though, so you would hope security was a bit tighter.

wibble

Worcester Park suffered particularly badly with the post-COVID cuts. It's my local station and we do at least now have the 'luxury' of the 0701 Dorking-Waterloo (0728 from Worcester Park) being 2x707. The 701s can't come soon enough but I think the Epsom line is well down the list for 701 introduction, when it eventually comes.
Is the 06:46 or 07:16 from Motspur Park practical for you? Both come from Chessington so should be much quieter than one that comes via Epsom.

Is the 06:46 or 07:16 from Motspur Park practical for you? Both come from Chessington so should be much quieter than one that comes via Epsom.
Not really, thanks. The timetable changed such that the Chessington trains now precede the Epsom line ones by a few minutes instead of following them, so it's no longer practicable to train hop at Motspur Park. I'm nowhere near that station. I have found the 07:28 from Worcester Park to be much better since it went 2x707. It's often possible to get a seat at Worcester Park and if not then there are usually seats at the back at Raynes Park or Wimbledon.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There's stupid, then there's trespassing on a military site stupid. (Though it seems this one isn't actually used by the military any more)
I understand it’s dual use, the idea is to try and make more commercial use of the port facilities in between the usual peaks and troughs of military purposes. I expect security responsibility would change depending on what was being moved.

Invincible

On RTT Test 5Q50/51 test is running today
There is a 5Q16/5Q17 Feltham to Staines, then Waterloo, this evening, could this be a 701 under test or training?

Deepgreen

Established Member
An interview for the 'SW Londoner' on-line newpaper at the 175th Waterloo anniversary with SWR's Cem Davis (Station Manager) there said, about the 701s, that (quote); "This stock is bigger, longer and we operate up to 12 coach carriages on our train so this can get well over 1000 people on there". So much wrong with this statement that it's hard to know where to start!

Invincible

An interview for the 'SW Londoner' on-line newpaper at the 175th Waterloo anniversary with SWR's Cem Davis (Station Manager) there said, about the 701s, that (quote); "This stock is bigger, longer and we operate up to 12 coach carriages on our train so this can get well over 1000 people on there". So much wrong with this statement that it's hard to know where to start!
Ah found it,
think he means 10 coaches? (unless he is thinking of the 458 refurbs)
The next line is the key one for the (once?) crowded at peaktime London suburban lines "There’s extra room for standing"

Deepgreen

Established Member
Ah found it,
The next line is the key one for the (once?) crowded at peaktime London suburban lines "There’s extra room for standing"
Exactly - the interview was about the 701s. "12 coach carriages" - worse than a poor news site, and from a senior railway manager!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ah found it,
No. Absolutely not “once.” They continue to be very crowded.

Snow1964

Established Member
Rather bizarrely they are displaying one at Waterloo today for the station's 175th 'birthday'

Source: https://twitter.com/Modern_Railways/status/1678704114220269568

Waterloo station was scheduled to open 30th June 1848, but Inspector rejected the quality of the track on 28th

After hasty track improvements, it opened formally 11th July 1848, but first train was arrival of night mail early on 13th July

Rather fitting they use a 701 to 'celebrate' a station opening date without trains (so couldn't be used), as 701s are trains that aren't yet open to use, so parking one in Waterloo out of use is rather cool (or ironic, delete as appropriate)

Bit of a shame didn't then start 701 service from Waterloo on 13th to match the 175th anniversary of trains running.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Waterloo station was scheduled to open 30th June 1848, but Inspector rejected the quality of the track on 28th

After hasty track improvements, it opened formally 11th July 1848, but first train was arrival of night mail early on 13th July

Rather fitting they use a 701 to 'celebrate' a station opening date without trains (so couldn't be used), as 701s are trains that aren't yet open to use, so parking one in Waterloo out of use is rather cool (or ironic, delete as appropriate)

Bit of a shame didn't then start 701 service from Waterloo on 13th to match the 175th anniversary of trains running.
I visited today and what a lovely exhibition it was. Almost made me forget the depressing times our railways are in.