• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Does this mean that SWR's drivers and/or ASLEF have now accepted the 701 cabs as-is (or with any mod's done to date)?
Surely that was resolved literally years ago??!! The cabs were redesigned about 2-3 years ago.

All the reports here and elsewhere over the past year have been about ongoing software issues, nothing about cab design.

Note that SWR depot drivers, members of ASLEF have been trained on the units since April.

DelW

Established Member
Surely that was resolved literally years ago??!! The cabs were redesigned about 2-3 years ago.

All the reports here and elsewhere over the past year have been about ongoing software issues, nothing about cab design.

Note that SWR depot drivers, members of ASLEF have been trained on the units since April.
Ah, fair enough, with all the ins and outs and endless delays it's difficult to keep up with the actual position with these units, I'd thought all the runs were still using FOC drivers. Thanks for the clarification.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Ah, fair enough, with all the ins and outs and endless delays it's difficult to keep up with the actual position with these units, I'd thought all the runs were still using FOC drivers. Thanks for the clarification.
I don't blame you for being lost with it all. There are after all somewhat different claims about what's currently happening with them even within this thread.

Snow1964

Established Member
With the 458/4s slowly disappearing, SWR need stock badly. The last minute retention of two 707s seems to suggest a degree of panic either at SWR or DfT.
Possibly realisation that cut too far

Don't forget the ORR is due to publish next rail usage statistics next week (9th Nov), and maybe it is obvious in an unpublished draft that cuts have caused crowding of midweek trains. The annual station usage (passenger numbers) report also comes out November (release date within Nov, not yet announced)

Mainsideman

Not sure how true but doing the rounds on twitter that ASLEF and RMT might be entering dispute again with SWR over the role of the guard with the method of work not being agreed…

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not sure how true but doing the rounds on twitter that ASLEF and RMT might be entering dispute again with SWR over the role of the guard with the method of work not being agreed…
How many times does it have to seemingly be agreed and unagreed??!! It always seems to be the South Western, going back decades.

N0G83

Cannot see anything on X (formally Twitter ) regarding your post, do you have a source?

SWT_USER

A few 5 carriage units on the Windsor side today, further reducing capacity after the service cuts of recent timetables.

701's desperately needed now. Anecdotally I have seen more.of them out and about recently - including one on the line up to East Putney yesterday. I'd like to think it's because they are getting closer to entering service but given the clown show it's been so far I'd be astounded if any were in service this year.

On Moderation
4 TPH to RDG and WNR Didn't happen due to a disagreement with Network rail over an increase in track maintenance
The pandemic and drop in passenger numbers was nothing to do with it then?

Ian Hardy

4 TPH to RDG and WNR Didn't happen due to a disagreement with Network rail over an increase in track maintenance
I thought that the reason was because the traction supply couldn't cope with peak frequencies all day. At present after the morning peak, the traction supply equipment could cool down between about 10:00 and 15:00 to be ready for the increased demand during the evening peak. If peak frequencies were operated all day substations would overheat.

swr444

A few 5 carriage units on the Windsor side today, further reducing capacity after the service cuts of recent timetables.

701's desperately needed now. Anecdotally I have seen more.of them out and about recently - including one on the line up to East Putney yesterday. I'd like to think it's because they are getting closer to entering service but given the clown show it's been so far I'd be astounded if any were in service this year.
this was mainly to do with problems at wimbledon depot i believe

tasky

I am fairly new to RailUKforums and so am still finding my way around and had not seen this thread earlier. So on July 14th this year 2023 I photographed 701 054 which stopped briefly at Eastleigh and was apparently on test. As my photo shows, it was in SWR livery and badged as an 'Arterio'. The cab access doors were open when I arrived at that end of platform 2 and there were about 4 staff standing inside talking, one of them was a woman whom I think was in uniform. I thought the train's overall appearance was very attractive and smart.

ARTERIO ON TEST by Robin Procter, on Flickr
It seems so odd to write 'Arterio' on them so prominently. I can just about accept writing 'Azuma' on a long-distance high-speed flagship, but these are just suburban trains...

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
It seems so odd to write 'Arterio' on them so prominently. I can just about accept writing 'Azuma' on a long-distance high-speed flagship, but these are just suburban trains...
1698965114946.png
Picture (of an OO' gauge model) of a Class 156 with "Sprinter" visible on the side in Provincial livery
It's not a new thing (yes I know Sprinter is the family not just the branding)

Snow1964

Established Member
One by the new year, otherwise a big fine apparently
What a daft contract
1st train over 1500 days late in service
Last of 90 units over 1100 days late in service

..... and only then does a fine arise
I really struggle to imagine how someone drawing up the delivery contract in 2017 thought to include a penalty clause of a fine that triggers years after initial contractual dates.

Big Jumby 74

Going back way prior to 701's the contracts involved various milestones that had to be met, eg; the first unit had to work (at least) one passenger service - one service, not necessarily one days full diagram - by a given date, which would incur a penalty if not met.

What a daft contract
1st train over 1500 days late in service
Last of 90 units over 1100 days late in service

..... and only then does a fine arise
I really struggle to imagine how someone drawing up the delivery contract in 2017 thought to include a penalty clause of a fine that triggers years after initial contractual dates.
Maybe they had foresight, or a crystal ball, or they just knew that all the complexities of getting branch new rolling stock accepted in this country is a very difficult and lengthy process. Give them time to do the job, yes years if needed but leave an empty threat of a fine way down the path.

DMckduck97

It's blatantly obvious at this point that 1 will run in service this year. All be it a Special turn on a random day before Christmas. My betting is Christmas eve and will be a full management crew