• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
5Q85 149 late
reported as 701037
Running very late and with 69009 doing the honours. Service curtailed at Eastleigh (typical, as I was waiting near Totton....)

This test run slid under my radar. 701005: photo post #8583.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_132217_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_132217_Chrome.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20240402_151817_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_151817_Chrome.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

We draw closer to the 3 month anniversary of this soft launch and still it's 2 round trips a day, off peak, Monday to Friday, and no sign of it expanding anytime soon

Sam 76

We draw closer to the 3 month anniversary of this soft launch and still it's 2 round trips a day, off peak, Monday to Friday, and no sign of it expanding anytime soon
Makes you wonder why they bothered really. This could go on for many more months like this from what I’ve read on here

Makes you wonder why they bothered really. This could go on for many more months like this from what I’ve read on here
The press of course, they bothered so they can pretend that it's not delayed any further

In other news, 701007 spotted about a month ago going somewhere by road, don't think it was mentioned here
431309353_10223827041973218_192508983264240603_n.png

Goldfish62

Established Member
If this charade goes on much longer the press will see past it. SWR's reality distortion field isn't infinite in duration.
SWR clearly hoodwinked even the railway press with the "soft launch" three months ago, but it can't be much longer before questions start being asked about why the trains haven't started entering service.

It really does feel like a charade doesent it? I wonder why a few of the 5 car variations couldn't have been made first so they can occupy lower capacity services in the off peaks until more come into service.

And more frequently on a couple of different routes? For more than two or four services mind you. South western rail do seem to be taking their sweet time with everything.
If this charade goes on much longer the press will see past it. SWR's reality distortion field isn't infinite in duration.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It really does feel like a charade doesent it? I wonder why a few of the 5 car variations couldn't have been made first so they can occupy lower capacity services in the off peaks until more come into service.

And more frequently on a couple of different routes? For more than two or four services mind you. South western rail do seem to be taking their sweet time with everything.
What's needed is not more unnecessary extra trips slotted in just behind the regular scheduled services, but the units slotted in on normal diagrams like normal TOCs do. But then that's not going to happen given that training hasn't started and there's no sign of it doing so, and SWR doesn't appear to be a normal TOC!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is Tuesday's test run, Waterloo-Poole-Staines, (posts #8581 and #8583) is - to date - the longest distance that a 701 has run on its own power?

If it is - then, what a farce this has all become...
No, they’ve been doing similar lengthy runs for years. There’s a report from May 2021:

What's needed is not more unnecessary extra trips slotted in just behind the regular scheduled services, but the units slotted in on normal diagrams like normal TOCs do. But then that's not going to happen given that training hasn't started and there's no sign of it doing so, and SWR doesn't appear to be a normal TOC!
Agreed, i think itd be easier if the 5 cars being shorter potentially having "less train" and software to worry about inspecting nesseccerilly, (assuming this is valid) To operate on the easier services as a soft start, instead of whatever is already happening with them.

Apparently the SWR 707 microfleet lease is now under "renewals", likely due to stock shortages and yet another indicator of the 701s not be close to starting a proper rollout.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Agreed, i think itd be easier if the 5 cars being shorter potentially having "less train" and software to worry about inspecting nesseccerilly, (assuming this is valid) To operate on the easier services as a soft start, instead of whatever is already happening with them.
Diagrams with a single 4/5 car unit throughout must be a rarity on SWR suburban services, if they exist at all.

DMckduck97

Unfortunately until all platforms have been tested and passed DCO checks for 10 car, 5 car and 2x5 car formations of 701 I doubt we will see them in service.

Not sure why training hasn't started yet though.

hwl

Established Member
I wonder why a few of the 5 car variations couldn't have been made first so they can occupy lower capacity services in the off peaks until more come into service.

Already covered several times on this thread.

Most units are 10 car (80% of vehicles) so the focus is on getting them in service. (they can also cover low capacity off peak as they will eventually do in service)
One reason for 5 car was to cover the quieter shuttle service that don't get to Waterloo (which can be covered by 455 etc once the main 10car roll out has happened), most 5 car will be 2x 5car in service.
10 car have more redundancy on the power systems so less likely to completely fail.
10car units are effectively 2x single cab ended 5 car units.
5 car would need coupling arrangement to be fully tested for in service working for rescue etc. and to run as 2x5car to mitigate lack of redundancy issues. 5 car is effectively more software /testing in practice.
Less overall effort to sort 10car software then 5car than other permutations.

In other news, more ABDO beacons for the 701s spotted around the place, now at Putney.
GJm_oSQWMAwO7u0

As it's been discussed before, these are likely going to be tested and then not used in passenger service for quite a few years.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Apparently the SWR 707 microfleet lease is now under "renewals", likely due to stock shortages and yet another indicator of the 701s not be close to starting a proper rollout.
Another indicator being I saw a guard I know the other day and he said he and his colleagues are completely in the dark, wondering why training hasn't started yet. He literally has absolutely no idea why.