• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromley boy

Established Member
On modernish to new units that have a TMS, does the TMS sound an alarm if the train is driven more then a certain distance from stationary and/or driven above a certain speed with the lights set wrong?

375 and 376s certainly don't (376s were delivered as recently as 2004/5).

I'd hazard-a-guess that none of the Electrostar family, right up to the 387s delivered in the last year or so, have this feature.

From the previous post re. a 707 going through a washer with reds on the leading end, I think we can conclude the 700 family don't, either!

I'd also be interested to hear of any current units which do...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleggatta

375 and 376s certainly don't (376s were delivered as recently as 2004/5).

I'd hazard-a-guess that none of the Electrostar family, right up to the 387s delivered in the last year or so, have this feature.

From the previous post re. a 707 going through a washer with reds on the leading end, I think we can conclude the 700 family don't, either!

I'd also be interested to hear of any current units which do...

The electrostars I have worked on feature a 'tail light mismatch' or 'mismatch lights on coupled cab' fault that appears on the TMS

spark001uk

Established Member
Bit of news - 707009 / 707010 delivered to Clapham Yard, however one of the ROG 47's has derailed whilst marshalling the brake force containers!

Bromley boy

Established Member
The electrostars I have worked on feature a 'tail light mismatch' or 'mismatch lights on coupled cab' fault that appears on the TMS

Out of interest, which type was this?

I've done a traction course covering me to drive 375/6s and this wasn't mentioned. Not to say it doesn't exist on those, of course. I naturally assumed it didn't as you have the visual light repeaters in the cab for both the headlights and the lights on the rear cab of the formation.

I'm slightly concerned that I sometimes find more information on stock I can drive from this forum than from my traction course!

aleggatta

I've done a traction course covering me to drive 375/6s and this wasn't mentioned. Not to say it doesn't exist on those, of course. I naturally assumed it didn't as you have the visual light repeaters in the cab for both the headlights and the lights on the rear cab of the formation.

I'm slightly concerned that I sometimes find more information on stock I can drive from this forum than from my traction course!

377's and 387's, but to be honest, the vast multitude of possible faults that can be indicated(both generic and specific), i'm not surprised that things get missed off the traction courses.

spark001uk

Established Member
Is there a sniff of what service will work as 707 on Monday yet? I've heard it's a Windsor diagram but not which one yet?

theageofthetra

On Moderation

There is an alarm on mitrac on a 376- I had happen once & wondered what the hell it was!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Introduction into passenger service deferred until mid may due to the miles fault free testing having to be reset due to software isssues apparently

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Introduction into passenger service deferred until mid may due to the miles fault free testing having to be reset due to software isssues apparently

Ooh that's a shame, I was hoping introduction would begin on Monday so I could get a ride in on Friday while in London!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well ain't that a great start. <(

You can hear the evil laughs of Blindtraveller (who really doesn't like anything Siemens!) when he hears about this!

Good things come to those who wait, and I still can't believe they'll be retiring from south west London after only a couple of years. Much as I don't like the prospect, I'll have to get some serious work done on the SWT network soon...

D365

Veteran Member
Good things come to those who wait, and I still can't believe they'll be retiring from south west London after only a couple of years. Much as I don't like the prospect, I'll have to get some serious work done on the SWT network soon...

Don't you think a new home will be found for them quickly?

D365

Veteran Member
I should imagine it wouldn't be challenging to find a new home for them, I'm sure an operator in the Midlands would be happy to take them on...;)

West or East Midlands though, I've heard mutterings about a certain 'CorPan' proposal...

Driver@swt

Who says they are leaving SWT?? More likely we get a bigger fleet with modifications to suit first group!
Show me where first group have said the 707s are going... I have seen it in writing about 455/6 being replaced, and that 442s are returning, but nothing that actually says 707 (or 458). There was a line about power sockets being fitted to all trains, 450s, 442s... But 707s already have power sockets!
Rail news this week reports the 707s as being the first of the new trains for the first south west franchise.

Last edited:

Established Member
Corby - St Pancras would make no sense whatsoever unless they had a massive interior refit - (110mph) 379s would be better, but actually a well specified 125mph Verve or Aventra would be most suitable. I certainly can't imagine the commuters of Wellingborough/Kettering welcoming a 707 instead of a HST or 222.

There may be traction in the rumours about 707s being modified to the same spec as the incoming fleet though, especially if Siemens win the contract for the new fleet - no-one really knows what is going on yet.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Who says they are leaving SWT??

Roger Ford and Tony Miles of Modern Railways have both posted it online. They are generally pretty sure of their facts before putting something of this importance online.

If they don't intend to get rid of a load of existing units/vehicles, where will they find the room to operate the new ones they have publicly stated they are getting? 90 trains/750 vehicles is what has been mentioned consistently so far for the suburban services, plus the 18 x 442s, so that's at least twice as many as the 455/456 fleet for a start.

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Roger Ford and Tony Miles of Modern Railways have both posted it online. They are generally pretty sure of their facts before putting something of this importance online.

If they don't intend to get rid of a load of existing units/vehicles, where will they find the room to operate the new ones they have publicly stated they are getting? 90 trains/750 vehicles is what has been mentioned consistently so far for the suburban services, plus the 18 x 442s, so that's at least twice as many as the 455/456 fleet for a start.

This is true, but don't forget they've also stated a large increase in service frequency (and lengthening of some existing), in particular they mention intending to double the Pompey service. All needs extra stock. Yes they'll need more room for it all, but that's their problem! ;)

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Well I'd assume the doubling of the Portsmouth to Southampton, and the extension of 1 tph from Haslemere to Portsmouth will easily come out of the X number of 450s replaced by 442s on the direct route. Maybe 20 or more 450s?

The Portsmouth extension to Weymouth will then be a rejig of existing services, and the 4 tph Reading and 4 tph Windsor will be effectively covered by the arrival of the 707s as SWT had probably already intended.

Isn't Reading already 4 tph for admittedly short periods wth the existing fleet?

On Moderation
Well I'd assume the doubling of the Portsmouth to Southampton, and the extension of 1 tph from Haslemere to Portsmouth will easily come out of the X number of 450s replaced by 442s on the direct route. Maybe 20 or more 450s?

The Portsmouth extension to Weymouth will then be a rejig of existing services, and the 4 tph Reading and 4 tph Windsor will be effectively covered by the arrival of the 707s as SWT had probably already intended.

Isn't Reading already 4 tph for admittedly short periods wth the existing fleet?

Reading is 4tph in the peak; in the afternoon peak it is 4tph from 1550 through to 1950, so no extra stock needed to resource that all day. Windsor 4tph will require extra stock, though.

spark001uk

Established Member
So have we a definite 'no' on the 707 in service on Monday now then? I've tried tweeting swt yesterday and today but no answer. Tho they did say they may not answer to be fair, because their rostering system has had a meltdown and made a right mess!

spark001uk

Established Member
It's been a definite no for quite a while.

OK thanks. I won't bust a vessel getting over there Monday then.

It's not like I was getting on something new anyway, after all it's just a short 700 with power sockets and no toilets! ;)

GW43125

Established Member
OK thanks. I won't bust a vessel getting over there Monday then.

It's not like I was getting on something new anyway, after all it's just a short 700 with power sockets and no toilets! ;)

They're not coming in on Monday anymore! Gen is it's been pushed back to mid may due to a software update requiring fault free mileage to be reset.

On a different note (platform extensions for 458/707), Egham has gone full 10-car operation as of Monday, to the annoyance of commuters (8-car up trains or any down trains no longer stop next to the bridge or the exit). Not sure how V.Water or Chertsey is coming along.

I also read about Twickenham being shut for a few months-is this true and if so how will they pull that off?

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
They're not coming in on Monday anymore! Gen is it's been pushed back to mid may due to a software update requiring fault free mileage to be reset.

On a different note, Egham has gone full 10-car operation as of Monday, to the annoyance of commuters (8-car up trains or any down trains no longer stop next to the bridge or the exit). Not sure how V.Water or Chertsey is coming along.

I also read about Twickenham being shut for a few months-is this true and if so how will they pull that off?

I know, I was just saying I won't bother rushing now they're not starting Mon.

As for VW, only p1+2 have been extended so far. I see no sign of work to 3+4 as yet (I was there last Wed). Chertsey looks almost finished on both sides, and Addlestone still hasn't been started.

EDIT: Just seen this of 707008 at Wildenrath, slight horn malfunction!! Mind you, it did have half the front end missing! ;)

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
As for VW, only p1+2 have been extended so far. I see no sign of work to 3+4 as yet (I was there last Wed). Chertsey looks almost finished on both sides, and Addlestone still hasn't been started.

At VW:
P1&2 when I was last there were done but not in commission
P3 I don't think is having anything done, despite currently only being able to take 6 vehicles-though the bridge may be an issue
P4 is full 10-car, and has been for a few years. It has to be otherwise you'd foul the junction.

Chertsey, two weeks ago:
Downside (P1) looked almost done, bar some fencing,
However upside (P2) still had several gaps, the two sections only started being joined up about a month ago once the signal was moved.
Haven't been for a few weeks so shall have a look when I'm next there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.