• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed lines you have travelled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

S&CLER

I recall doing the Alston branch, Bridport, Clayton West and Bolton-Rochdale towards the end of their lives (but never Hayfield for some reason though it lasted until 1970); also Matlock-Manchester Central as a child in the 1950s, Southport-Preston only once on a diverted Ormskirk-Preston train during bridge works at Rufford. Also did the Witney branch on a BR railtour in around 1971/72, which also included Aylesbury to Calvert and almost to Bletchley. I have a memory of being at Abingdon and being inside a GW diesel railcar in c. 1968, but not sure if I actually travelled on the branch from Radley or Oxford. Also did the Vale of Clwyd line from Rhyl and Rhuddlan to St Asaph and Denbigh, and Bangor - Afon Wen in the 1950s on holidays when we always had runabout tickets. Did the CK&P from Penrith to Keswick but not beyond. Did Northampton-Market Harborough overnight some time in the 1970s. And we returned from a holiday in Bournemouth to Liverpool via Wolves Low Level, Wellington, Market Drayton and Nantwich on one occasion. And how could I have forgotten Chacewater to Newquay, an interminably slow journey?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Interesting exercise. I don't think I've missed out on anything that has closed since about 1971 except Sinfin and Bolton-Rochdale. Not sure which of the 2 routes the Stranraer sleeper used in 1973 though...

Freight-only lines covered since include Brentford, Abingdon, Thame, Chinnor, Northampton-Market H, Consett, Stanhope(?).

Halwynd

I missed out on electric haulage, but did the line courtesy of a class 45 hauled Sunday diversion in the mid 70s.

I walked Deepcar-Penistone-Hadfield last year which was a bit nostalgic - only around the tunnel and the last few hundred yards at Hadfield are not on the alignment.

I'm very envious, electric or not!

Ken H

On Moderation
Thanks for the replies
Some impressive lists there.
My memory having been jogged i can add Stratford - North Woolwich and Dover Western Docks. Both done on Network days.

D6130

Established Member
I missed out on electric haulage, but did the line courtesy of a class 45 hauled Sunday diversion in the mid 70s.
I too missed out on electric haulage, but covered the line on two separate railtours in the 'seventies....both Westbound - one hauled by a Haymarket whistler (40 162, IIRC) and one by a 44, one of three different ones used on the 44 Farewell Tour.

Calthrop

Established Member
I recall doing the Alston branch, Bridport, Clayton West and Bolton-Rochdale towards the end of their lives (but never Hayfield for some reason though it lasted until 1970); also Matlock-Manchester Central as a child in the 1950s, Southport-Preston only once on a diverted Ormskirk-Preston train during bridge works at Rufford. Also did the Witney branch on a BR railtour in around 1971/72, which also included Aylesbury to Calvert and almost to Bletchley. I have a memory of being at Abingdon and being inside a GW diesel railcar in c. 1968, but not sure if I actually travelled on the branch from Radley or Oxford. Also did the Vale of Clwyd line from Rhyl and Rhuddlan to St Asaph and Denbigh, and Bangor - Afon Wen in the 1950s on holidays when we always had runabout tickets. Did the CK&P from Penrith to Keswick but not beyond. Did Northampton-Market Harborough overnight some time in the 1970s. And we returned from a holiday in Bournemouth to Liverpool via Wolves Low Level, Wellington, Market Drayton and Nantwich on one occasion. And how could I have forgotten Chacewater to Newquay, an interminably slow journey?

Following-on from this post of yours, is prompted. Did Alston in 1968; Bridport more than once in '70s; Clayton West I think at some time, Hayfield likewise, Bolton -- Rochdale: honestly, don't know. Matlock -- Chinley -- Manchester once, late '60s. Oxford -- Witney a couple of times (once brake van trip on freight, once on passenger special marking abandonment); and Abingdon branch on brake van trip (these were facilitated by being at uni at Oxford). Travelled Great Central main line in 1963, Aylesbury -- Nottingham; getting me abandoned stuff north of Calvert. Nothing done south of Rhyl; but got Bangor -- Afonwen in summer 1964, not long before closure (summer holiday in that part of Wales -- good fortune of steam haulage in both directions -- through carriages from / to further afield). Once did, southbound, Market Harborough -- Northampton: 1969-ish, deliberately seeking working taking that route (in daylight).

Perversely, perhaps: after quite-early closure of Keswick -- Workington, I considered that route ruined, and refrained from doing Penrith -- Keswick, although I could have done. (And I don't regret this.) Feel that I'd have enjoyed Chacewater -- Newquay, however sluggish: we had a family holiday in those parts planned for 1961, but illness caused that to be "scrubbed" at last moment -- had it come to pass, I think good chance would have been had, of doing that line.

Last edited:

APT618S

Selby to Chaloners Whin Jn
Penmanshiel Tunnel
Newcastle to Blaydon via Scotswood
Tyne Dock to South Shields via High Shields (different route to the Metro)
Manors to Jesmond
N-S line on what was the Bensham Triangle
Tursdale Jn to Pelaw
Dover Western Docks
Manchester: I think I may have done the line past Red Bank CS but cannot be sure.

Ken H

On Moderation
Selby to Chaloners Whin Jn
Penmanshiel Tunnel
Newcastle to Blaydon via Scotswood
Manors to Jesmond
N-S line on what was the Bensham Triangle
Tursdale Jn to Pelaw
Dover Western Docks
Manchester: I think I may have done the line past Red Bank CS but cannot be sure.
Good call on the Red Bank line. Would calder valley line trains have gone that way?

D6130

Established Member
Seeing some of the posts on this thread has jogged my memory. I've also done:

Market Harborough-Northampton (at night)
Elmers End-Addiscombe
Folkestone Harbour
Dover Marine/Western Docks (both ways)
Penmanshiel Tunnel

Tester

Mauchline-Ayr still exists, although the curve from Blackhouse Junction - Hawkhill Junction went in the 70s, so you’d need a reversal.
Oops then it fails the OPs rules! - my posts edited accordingly.

Last edited:

Spamcan81

Barnstaple to Meeth
Kemp Town Branch
March to Spalding
Old ECML through Selby
Woodhead route between Penistone and Hadfield
Clayton West branch
Kilmacolm branch
Pudsey Loop
The former line into the old Leeds Central
Whitechapel to Shoreditch
Dover Marine
Bradford Exchange
And a few others that I’ll need to check my old rail atlases for.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Manors to Jesmond
I’ll have done them, but the memory is failing… :'(

I’m not sure if Alnwick to Alnmouth fits the OP’s restrictions, as there’s now a heritage bit in the middle?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Carlisle-Silloth (as a very young child)
Penrith-Darlington via Appleby East, Stainmore Summit and Barnard Castle (as an extremely young child!)

That's truly an impressive list - and I'm particularly gobsmacked by these two! (In truth, many of those Scottish and Devon-Cornwall lines are pretty good cops too!)

I've done a few, I won't list all - but I've done

Melton Mowbray Town (?) - John O'Gaunt - Leicester Belgrave Rd, which I haven't seen mentioned.

Also March - St Ives - Cambridge (not seen mention of March - St Ives so far).

Newport Pagnel - Wolverton,
Luton Bute Str - Dunstable - Leighton Buzzard

Northampton - Welingboro
Northampton - Bedford
Wellingboro - Higham Ferrers

I think I must have done the North Tyne route to Carlisle in 67 and 68, but can't remember exactly.

Anyone done Loughboro - Coalville?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There are some impressively long lists upthread.
Mine included:

Buxton-Parsley Hay-Ashbourne
New Mills C-Hayfield
Manchester Central-Cheadle Heath/Stockport TD-Peak Forest-Matlock
Manchester Central-Altrincham
Chaddesden Sidings and Melbourne branch, Derby (both on Manchester-St Pancras trains)
Melton Mowbray-Nottingham (now the Old Dalby test track)
Stoke-Leekbrook-Oakamoor/Caldon Low
Kidsgrove-Longport via old Harecastle tunnel
Blisworth-Northampton Castle
Mouldsworth-Helsby/Mickle Trafford-Chester Northgate
Chester Northgate-Dee Marsh/Bidston West Curve
Ruabon-Bala Jn-Barmouth
Welshpool-Oswestry-Gobowen
Bangor-Caernarfon-Afon Wen
Caernarfon-Llanberis
Tattenhall Jn-Malpas-Whitchurch
Wellington-Market Drayton-Nantwich
Heaton Lodge-Spen Valley-Leeds
Swinton-Normanton via the "Coke Ovens" (original Midland route)
Full length of GC route Marylebone-Nottingham Vic-Woodhead-Manchester (sleeper)
Sheffield Vic-Swinton via Wath
Wigan bypass (L&Y)
Lymm-Broadheath-Timperley
Lymm-Warrington BQLL-Ditton Jn
Crow Nest Jn-Blackrod
Bristol TM/Yate-Mangotsfield-Bath Green Park-Bournemouth West (S&D)
Taunton-Barnstaple-Ilfracombe
Dover Marine
Battersea Curve (Eurostar)
Liverpool Central HL, Liverpool/Manchester Exchange
Gloucester Eastgate loop, Rock Ferry-Birkenhead Woodside
Birmingham Snow Hill-Wolverhampton LL-Oxley/Bushbury

I missed out on some local lines, which were still open when I started exploring by train:
Chester-Mold-Denbigh-Ruthin
Gaerwen-Amlwch
Wrexham-Ellesmere, Whitchurch-Oswestry
Glazebrook-Wigan Central
And from Reading: Didcot-Newbury (ex-DNS, south of Newbury already closed)

Last edited:

Irascible

Established Member
All I'm aware of is Moorgate-Farringdon and the old end of the Jubilee line, there's probably removed bits of line and dead minature railways I went on in my childhood.

Calthrop

Established Member
I've done a few, I won't list all - but I've done

Melton Mowbray Town (?) - John O'Gaunt - Leicester Belgrave Rd, which I haven't seen mentioned.

I hate you :E ! System not far off my childhood / adolescence patch, and which has always fascinated me: but opportunity never allowed me any of it.

Also March - St Ives - Cambridge (not seen mention of March - St Ives so far).

Did all of March -- St. Ives -- Cambridge, a fair few times (adolescent "native heath").

Newport Pagnel - Wolverton,

Luton Bute Str - Dunstable - Leighton Buzzard

Northampton - Welingboro
Northampton - Bedford
Wellingboro - Higham Ferrers

The above, "my native patch" in a large sense; but basically too early / relatively far-flung, for me to make it. (Managed Hatfield -- Luton -- Dunstable, if that does any redeeming.)

You mention Loughborough -- Coalville: didn't that close to pass. in 1929 or something? -- though freight till much later ...

Anyone done Loughboro - Coalville?

Gloster

Established Member
A fair few more now my memory has been jogged by other posters:

Ashton Moss South to North Junctions
Selby-Chaloners Whin
Gunnislake station
Haltwhistle-Alston
Broad Street-Dalston
Dover Marine
Folkestone Harbour
Weymouth Quay
Thorpes Bridge Junction-Rochdale via Oldham
Penmanshiel Tunnel
Lincoln St Marks
New Holland Pier

Newbury-Welford Park

Belfast York Road

Rosslare Harbour

I may have done Guisborough-Nunthorpe as a very small child, but I don’t remember.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not many compared to some of the lists above!

Dover Western Docks
I suppose I could have Okehampton to Meldon now?
Epping to Ongar in LU days
Barnstaple to Torrington
Woodhead when I was a toddler apparently. :lol:
Erm…

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Ruabon -Barmouth Jct
Afon Wen - Bangor
Wellington - Nantwich
Northampton - Bedford
Bedford - Hitchin
Hatfield - Luton Bute St - Dunstable
Dunstable - Leighton Buzzard
Aylesbury - Nottingham Victoria
Nottingham Vic Rotherham -Elsecar Jct
Elsecar Jct - Penistone
Penistone - Sheffield Victoria
Sheffield Vic - Mansfield - Nottingham Vic
Spalding - Boston
March - Magdalen Road
Kings Lynn - Hunstanton
Dumfreis - Lockerbie
Carlisle - Hawick - Edinburgh
Leven - Anstruther
Montrose - Forfar - Stanley Jct

Interesting thread! Sadly too young to join my Dad and older brothers on the M&GN!

contrex

Selhurst - Norwood Junction, the track at Battersea Park used by the South London line, the bits of the East London line that are gone, the fast lines on Filton bank before they were lifted in the 1980s, Crystal Palace to Beckenham Junction and Sutton to Epsom Downs before they were singled.

nw1

Established Member
Almost none (as I only started using the railways in 1982, long after Beeching).

One likely possibility is the old route into Oxford Road from Altrincham and Sale, which I used on 31 Dec 1984. Given this is mentioned by the OP I presume the last section of this has completely closed.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
One likely possibility is the old route into Oxford Road from Altrincham and Sale, which I used on 31 Dec 1984. Given this is mentioned by the OP I presume the last section of this has completely closed.
Have to say that most of the Metrolink trackwork layout from Altrincham towards Manchester City Centre seems essentially unchanged from 1991 when it was still in BR hands. The flat junction at Cornbrook has long gone, there's now the turnback siding between the inbound and outbound tracks in the vicinity of Timperley and it's two separate bi-directional running lines through Navigation Road. (One exclusively for Metrolink, the other for heavy rail to Stockport). Certainly not much trackwork lifted since 1991, maybe some pointwork rationalised or tweaked.

Other than the Altrincham->Manchester line in BR days, can't remember travelling on any sections of line that have since been closed/is no longer part of the network.
Oops! Forgot about Farringdon -> Moorgate. Did the trackwork get lifted after closure?

MP33

Broad Street Dalston Junction
Shoreditch Whitechapel
Charing Cross (Jubilee)

DeRobeck

The Widnes Loop (Widnes Central and Tanhouse Lane stations)
Hunts Cross - Gateacre
Lines into and out of the following stations:
Liverpool Exchange​
Liverpool Central High Level​
Liverpool Riverside​
Birkenhead Woodside​
Atlantic Junction - Canada Dock (Liverpool)
Dingle - Seaforth & Litherland on the Liverpool Overhead Railway (not BR)

Status
Not open for further replies.