• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Collecting Tickets from Crianlarich without a ticket machine

tram21

Hello everyone,

I'm in Crianlarich (on the West Highland line) tonight and getting the train to Mallaig tomorrow. I purchased advance tickets a few weeks ago with the intention of collecting them in either Edinburgh or Glasgow where I was earlier today but I completed forgot to collect them and realised while on the replacement bus that I hadn't.

Is there anything I can do, and is there a possibility of the guard being able to 'collect' them or accepting the booking confirmation as a valid ticket?

I'll be able to collect the return tickets at Mallaig but a bit worried about the journey tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Obviously no ticket office (or TVM) at Crianlarich?
Unfortunately, no TVM and it's unstaffed.

I believe some of the newest handheld ticket machines can print TOD, but no idea if ScotRail staff have these or would indeed print TOD onboard if asked.

trei2k

Since there is no penalty fares in Scotland, you've got nothing to lose speaking to the guard on the service. Worse case an anytime day single from Crianlarich to Fort William is £24.80. Assuming you are getting the 10:21 tomorrow, there is a 5 min dwell at Fort William where it could be possible to get your tickets printed: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W55309/2024-01-03/detailed (if you are feeling brave!).

Unfortunately, I don't know whether the machines that ScotRail machines can print ToD. I'll leave that to others to answer.

Starmill

Veteran Member
According to National Rail Enquiries there's a ticket office at Ardlui, however, I'm fairly sure that isn't correct!

This being the case there's only Dunblane, Oban or Helensburgh Central who could issue your ticket. You might have to just buy a new one, though you may do so onboard from Crianlarich, and you can of course ask nicely about it once there.

tram21

Since there is no penalty fares in Scotland, you've got nothing to lose speaking to the guard on the service. Worse case an anytime day single from Crianlarich to Fort William is £24.80. Assuming you are getting the 10:21 tomorrow, there is a 5 min dwell at Fort William where it could be possible to get your tickets printed: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W55309/2024-01-03/detailed (if you are feeling brave!).

Unfortunately, I don't know whether the machines that ScotRail machines can print ToD. I'll leave that to others to answer.
Yep, worst case scenario I'll buy a ticket to Fort William if they don't allow it, and run and collect them at Fort William for the rest of the Journey! Hopefully it'll be okay. Thank you

Coolzac

Whilst obviously there's always the possibility that they won't, I have always found the conductors and staff on the West Highland line extremely friendly and helpful. If you show your booking confirmation and explain the situation, I would be very surprised if they didn't just let you off. I would seek them out shortly after boarding, just to ensure that its clear you aren't 'trying it on'.

Let us know how you get on!

tram21

Whilst obviously there's always the possibility that they won't, I have always found the conductors and staff on the West Highland line extremely friendly and helpful. If you show your booking confirmation and explain the situation, I would be very surprised if they didn't just let you off. I would seek them out shortly after boarding, just to ensure that its clear you aren't 'trying it on'.

I'll let you know!

A little concerned that looking on RTT only 2 coaches (1 train) is making its way up from Glasgow, and it needs to split to go to Oban & Mallaig? Scotrail are adamant that it will run but I'm interested how they'll make 158458 go two directions!

paul1609

Established Member
What sometimes happens when theres disruption is that one of the southbound services will turn back at Crianlarich. Instead of attaching to the Glasgow bound train the passengers are moved forward. When the Glasgow train has departed it moves over to the Down Platform and forms the missing part going to either Fort William or Oban if that makes sense.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'll let you know!

A little concerned that looking on RTT only 2 coaches (1 train) is making its way up from Glasgow, and it needs to split to go to Oban & Mallaig? Scotrail are adamant that it will run but I'm interested how they'll make 158458 go two directions!
458 is doing Glasgow to Mallaig with 499 shuttling Crianlarich to Oban.

What sometimes happens when theres disruption is that one of the southbound services will turn back at Crianlarich. Instead of attaching to the Glasgow bound train the passengers are moved forward. When the Glasgow train has departed it moves over to the Down Platform and forms the missing part going to either Fort William or Oban if that makes sense.
Looks exactly as though that's what's happening.

Single 156 Glasgow to Mallaig, seperate unit connects at Crianlarich for Oban.

TUC

Established Member
This issue is a good argument for using e-tickets.

trei2k

Unfortunately, you can only use the inferior mTickets on ScotRail.

@tram21, how did you get on? I see you only had 4 mins at Fort William, so hope (a) it was enough time if you needed to do that or (b) had a nice conductor that was happy to let you travel.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’d be surprised if a conductor on the WHL didn’t allow travel to Fort Bill and ticket collection there. They all seem decent sorts, used to stuff going not quite right

tram21

@tram21, how did you get on? I see you only had 4 mins at Fort William, so hope (a) it was enough time if you needed to do that or (b) had a nice conductor that was happy to let you travel.
I went to speak to the guard after leaving Crianlarich and at first appeared very annoyed and grumpy at my mistake (which is obviously completely my fault) and said I must go and get the tickets if we have time or I'll charge you a full fare, but then later on the journey she was very nice and kept coming to explain where the ticket machine at Fort William was and also pointing out some hidden secrets on the route!

The issues with the trains swapping over at Crianlarich caused a lot of confusion with none of the staff knowing what was happening, which was why we left Crianlarich 9 minutes late, but we made up time arriving into Mallaig 4 minutes early!

I definitely won't forget to collect tickets again and will be much more careful when going to areas with no ticket machines! I'm too used to City life with ticket machines aplently at every station!

Thanks so much everyone for your help!

It would be if it was available as an e-ticket.
I didn't book through Scotrail and booked with a different TOC and they weren't available as an e-ticket. I think you have to buy through Scotrail to get m-tickets!

I’d be surprised if a conductor on the WHL didn’t allow travel to Fort Bill and ticket collection there. They all seem decent sorts, used to stuff going not quite right
I think at first the guard was a bit stressed after not knowing where the Oban train was and having to get everyone in the right place, and after that they were very nice! The second guard was amazing and doing announcements in Gaelic as well which was cool!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Good that you can purchase advance tickets from Crianlarich which can't, however, be uplifted (in paper format) from Crianlarich. :rolleyes:

Which begs the question; how many unstaffed Scotrail stations don't have any TVM provision?

tram21

Good that you can purchase advance tickets from Crianlarich which can't, however, be uplifted (in paper format) from Crianlarich. :rolleyes:

Which begs the question; how many unstaffed Scotrail stations don't have any TVM provision?
A lot of them, and discounting areas around Edinburgh/ Glasgow/ Borders, I'd say most rural stations don't have any ticket purchasing facilities.

On the West Highland Line it's Helensburgh, Fort William, Mallaig (Ticket Office only)

Starmill

Veteran Member

Very few places on the West Highland Line offer Ticket on Departure. Oban, Fort William and Mallaig have machines and some staffed hours for collection. As do Helensburgh Central, Stirling, Dunblane, Kingussie, Aviemore, Inverness, Dingwall and Kyle of Lochalsh, but they're all rather a long way away!!

snookertam

Yes, this should work IMO. You’re also unlikely to be the first person to come to them with this dilemma.

TUC

Established Member
This does raise a wider issue of how people in remote rural areas are meant to be able to access the lower fares on Advance tickets if there is no TVM within reasonable travelling distance?

mangyiscute

Established Member
This does raise a wider issue of how people in remote rural areas are meant to be able to access the lower fares on Advance tickets if there is no TVM within reasonable travelling distance?
Well the obvious answer is that ScotRail need to upgrade their systems to allow e tickets

On Moderation
Well the obvious answer is that ScotRail need to upgrade their systems to allow e tickets
Or install TVMs at more stations. Northern manages to have them at some pretty remote spots on the West Cumbria Coast Line (all except Braystones and Nethertown). And it's not often Northern does something better than Scotrail.

paul1609

Established Member

Realistically Crianlarich has a population of 185. Going by my experience living in Garelochead a large proportion of the population will have never or only very rarely travelled by train from their village station. Id suggest that other than the occasional tourist sales of advance tickets from these stations will be next to zero.

Coolzac

Realistically Crianlarich has a population of 185. Going by my experience living in Garelochead a large proportion of the population will have never or only very rarely travelled by train from their village station. Id suggest that other than the occasional tourist sales of advance tickets from these stations will be next to zero.
But there will be far more people visiting, and plus a lot more stations with this problem along the line. Accross Scotland there must be many stations where people have this problem.

TUC

Established Member
So what? If Advance tickets are on sale then people should be able to access them in reality.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Historically, there would have been a wide choice of online or telephone retailers who were happy to deliver tickets by post for free. This solved this problem reasonably, though of course it still required at least a few days' notice. Nowadays I don't know if there's anyone who would deliver an Advance ticket from Crianlarich in the post for free.