• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
I never realised each seat came with its own window. Must look into that :rolleyes:
You can do that from the platform even if there is somebody sitting by it.
If the seat is bookable, book earlier; if it isn't, then it is available for any passenger to sit in.

On Moderation
What someone might think is scenic, might not be to someone who's seen it twice a day, 5 days a week for the last 30 years.
There’s an assumption being made that the person who wants the blind down is “right”. The person who wants the blind up is just as entitled to that.
Think about where you sit
I’d suggest the person wanting the blind down does the same - like sitting on the other side of the train, which presumably would be more likely to be in shadow.

Calthrop

Established Member
This particular kind of frustration is a thing which dates way back. George Behrend writes in Railway Holiday In France, of travelling in 1963 on the splendidly scenic line through the Massif Central, between Nimes and Clermont-Ferrand. He was in a DMU set with grand viewing potential; but was thwarted re same by a nearby fellow-passenger -- an extremely stylish lady who required to have the blind down, to keep the sun off her. The wretched woman did, however, leave the train at a spa town en route, where she was "taking a cure"; leaving Behrend free to adjust things for him to enjoy the scenery for the remainder of the run.

al78

Established Member
The headphone wearing craze is ridiculous. A guy in front of me who was wearing headphones dropped his wallet once and I picked it up and called out to him about it. He didn't hear me because of his headphones. I ran up beside him, waving his wallet and told him he'd dropped it. He looked at me sideways, clearly didn't see the wallet I was waving at him, and increased his pace. He then got into a taxi and disappeared. I ended up having to post the wallet to him using the address I found on his driving licence. The next day whilst browsing Facebook I came across a post in one of my groups in which that very same guy was trying to find his wallet. If he hadn't have been wearing his headphones, and had actually looked at me properly rather than askance, he would have had it back the moment he dropped it!
Ah yes the absence of spatial awareness. It is like what one of my work colleagues says about pedestrians in London. Instead of looking before crossing the road, they walk into the road with their head down and then look, jumping out of their skin if there happens to be a vehicle which they would have seen if they had reversed order of operations.

Acey

Those annoying plastic bags that many sweets etc are in that are a pain to open and when you do manage it then they inevitably split down the side

AM9

Veteran Member
Those annoying plastic bags that many sweets etc are in that are a pain to open and when you do manage it then they inevitably split down the side
Also used for apples, runner beans, and radishes.

Toilet paper where the inner and outer two-ply sheets are really badly out of line with each other!

AM9

Veteran Member
Toilet paper where the inner and outer two-ply sheets are really badly out of line with each other!
That's caused by the outer ply being unwound one more turn than the other. To fix it, just do the same again with the outer ply, and the perforations should then line up. Then the single ply part which probably comprises two or three sheets can be removed and folded for use as a two ply sheet.
That is more complicated to describe than actually doing it in practice.

It's just enough to give your kids a treat! (Slight overlap with the annoying adverts thread there, for those who are not old enough to remember it!).
I never had that problem with Izal toilet paper which my landlady supplied in my student digs in the early 80’s. Don’t know if it’s still available but it was like attending to your rear area with tracing paper

AM9

Veteran Member
I never had that problem with Izal toilet paper which my landlady supplied in my student digs in the early 80’s. Don’t know if it’s still available but it was like attending to your rear area with tracing paper
I remember that tracing paper was expensive in the '50s and toilet tissue would sometimes be used in lieu (as well as in the loo ;) ), - from a pack that hadn't been opened for its prime purpose of course. Not as good as real tracing paper, but OK to keep kids happy when tracing things.

dangie

Established Member
Rough side & shiny side. Scrape & polish :)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Definitely Bronco...

Bronco.jpg
Pic of roll of 'Bronco' paper. The Photo credit: Science Museum.

westv

Established Member
Not seen many, but signs in shops saying"cash please. We paid £xxx last week in card fees"
It just makes me think they must have quite a lot of money coming in.

AM9

Veteran Member
Not seen many, but signs in shops saying"cash please. We paid £xxx last week in card fees"
It just makes me think they must have quite a lot of money coming in.
Not necessarily. The hairdresser that I go to says that card charges per month are the equivalent to giving three free haircuts, (c. £75). That's how much cash goes to the banks on transactions alone.

westv

Established Member
Not necessarily. The hairdresser that I go to says that card charges per month are the equivalent to giving three free haircuts, (c. £75). That's how much cash goes to the banks on transactions alone.
At around 1% (I think) that means they get in £7,500 per month for card payments..

Edit: I think debit cards are something like 0.25% to 0.35%

Gloster

Established Member
The increasingly trivial items that fill up ‘news’ sites. Do we really want to know that some TV presenter/minor soap actor/footballer’s wag has had their bathroom ‘made over’/got a new hairstyle/going to be a grandparent? I can just put up with it if there is something new or original, but most is just the inconsequential routine of daily life.

Mr. SW

The increasingly trivial items that fill up ‘news’ sites. Do we really want to know that some TV presenter/minor soap actor/footballer’s wag has had their bathroom ‘made over’/got a new hairstyle/going to be a grandparent? I can just put up with it if there is something new or original, but most is just the inconsequential routine of daily life.
What? And miss out on this?
Screenshot_20220509-091250_Google.jpg
So informative.

I collect these. I have more.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
At around 1% (I think) that means they get in £7,500 per month for card payments..

Edit: I think debit cards are something like 0.25% to 0.35%
Much more likely that their charges for rental etc form a large proportion - I was being charged £35 per month by my bank fifteen years ago, and could only dream of 1%.

AM9

Veteran Member
Much more likely that their charges for rental etc form a large proportion - I was being charged £35 per month by my bank fifteen years ago, and could only dream of 1%.
Yes, big bank customers can demand minimal charges for card use, but a small trader will be hit with whatever the bank fancies it can get away with. The 1% charge is only for debit cards, if a credit card is presented, there is also the card bank's charge which typically can be 3% (eve 5% for AMEX). Scale those up to rates charged on small traders and it can seriously dent the viability of the business.

westv

Established Member
Yes, big bank customers can demand minimal charges for card use, but a small trader will be hit with whatever the bank fancies it can get away with. The 1% charge is only for debit cards, if a credit card is presented, there is also the card bank's charge which typically can be 3% (eve 5% for AMEX). Scale those up to rates charged on small traders and it can seriously dent the viability of the business.
Then why not say "debit cards only" or some such thing. Debit cards are more popular anyway.

Rental? The card machine?
£35 for card transactions? How much turnover per month did you have? Sorry if that's too nosey though!