• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies Using "Because of COVID" As An Excuse For Poor Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Perhaps those 1 million who have retired are correct. Perhaps if they were offered salaries, or more importantly employment terms and working conditions that were attractive they may be tempted back?

Why be treated as a 'human resource' (to be used, abused and dismissed as required) if you don't have to be? People do not exist merely to serve the needs of businesses.
600,000 people retire each year anyway, so that's about right during 18 months to 2 years of Covid, I don't think that's too bad. And clearly, that makes the 1 million Brexit missing, the more decisive factor. Additionally, there is a long standing trend to earlier retirement anyway, as this pre-pandemic Finanical Times article explains: https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2019/02/12/millions-retire-unexpectedly-early/

However, where we would disagree most is on your last point; rather than early retirement being a symptom of poor working conditions, I'd argue it shows that those retirees have been successful enough out of that same system to be in a fortunate enough position to retire early.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
And that silly woman that runs John Lewis would be right at the top of the list.

John Lewis has really gone downhill in recent years, starting with using COVID as an excuse to close their huge store in Birmingham, which was in the Grand Central shopping development on top of New Street station, and therefore within easy reach of a large number of people. They seem to want to move most of their business online, but if they do that there is nothing to distinguish them from a whole host of other retailers.
The obsesssion (and presumably cost of rebranding eg the entire van fleet) of the 'and partners' malarky. Unless they intend to Debenhamize their stores with lots of in-store franchises I see no point in it. The staff may well be partners but I doubt many customers are all that bothered about that aspect. Look what happened to Debenhams!

600,000 people retire each year anyway, so that's about right during 18 months to 2 years of Covid, I don't think that's too bad. And clearly, that makes the 1 million Brexit missing, the more decisive factor. Additionally, there is a long standing trend to earlier retirement anyway, as this pre-pandemic Finanical Times article explains: https://www.ftadviser.com/pensions/2019/02/12/millions-retire-unexpectedly-early/

However, where we would disagree most is on your last point; rather than early retirement being a symptom of poor working conditions, I'd argue it shows that those retirees have been successful enough out of that same system to be in a fortunate enough position to retire early.
I expect there will be a wide range of situations, including many 'it will be less than ideal/a struggle but we'll manage because it's better than the alternative'.

I took my pension (early and with a reduction) during COVID so will be counted as one of those 1 million but I wasn't working prior to COVID anyway and took my pension regardless of COVID.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
Mind you, "..we are experiencing high call volumes.." seems rather surprising as an excuse given that companies go to great lengths to hide their customer service phone number these days.
Seems to be a standard recorded message these days, regardless of the actual call volume. If I persevere to make it to the queue, I often get connected straight away.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Seems to be a standard recorded message these days, regardless of the actual call volume. If I persevere to make it to the queue, I often get connected straight away.
I would agree, often straight through to a call handler once they've wasted enough minutes of your life with pre-recorded messages and option menus. Perhaps customer research has shown that 'we are experiencing high call volumes' is preferable to 'Greensleeves'.

Tom B

Established Member
I would agree, often straight through to a call handler once they've wasted enough minutes of your life with pre-recorded messages and option menus. Perhaps customer research has shown that 'we are experiencing high call volumes' is preferable to 'Greensleeves'.

Companies don't want you to phone them - it costs less to deal with an enquiry online, so the more they can put you off...

sheff1

Established Member
I travel regularly all over the country and when searching for a suitable pub or restaurant to eat I am amazed at the number who still prominently refer to coronavirus/covid policies/restrictions on their website. When I see such references I immediately discount that business as a potential option without reading the detail of what they have to say, but for reasons of research, having just looked at this thread, I clicked through on a Newcastle pub website and their message is as follows:

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we would like all of our customers to know that we give our pub a very intense clean every morning and sanitise tables between customers. We always follow current guidelines set out by the government.
We strongly recommend that any customers showing symptoms to self isolate and ask all customers in the pub to respect social distancing rules.

One would have hoped they cleaned the place every morning and tables between customers pre-pandemic, but presumably not, and as for "social distancing rules" :'(:'(. I had no problem finding a far more sensible sounding business nearby.

duncanp

Established Member
I travel regularly all over the country and when searching for a suitable pub or restaurant to eat I am amazed at the number who still prominently refer to coronavirus/covid policies/restrictions on their website. When I see such references I immediately discount that business as a potential option without reading the detail of what they have to say, but for reasons of research, having just looked at this thread, I clicked through on a Newcastle pub website and their message is as follows:

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we would like all of our customers to know that we give our pub a very intense clean every morning and sanitise tables between customers. We always follow current guidelines set out by the government.
We strongly recommend that any customers showing symptoms to self isolate and ask all customers in the pub to respect social distancing rules.

One would have hoped they cleaned the place every morning and tables between customers pre-pandemic, but presumably not, and as for "social distancing rules" :'(:'(. I had no problem finding a far more sensible sounding business nearby.

The pub is contradicting itself.

You cannot say that you are following current government guidelines whilst at the same time asking customers to respect social distancing rules, simply because there are no social distancing rules in current government guidelines, and haven't been since 19th July last year.

Tracked

Established Member

Are we absolutely sure this is nothing more than "we can't be bothered to update our website too much", in the same way that several local shops to me have fading Social Distancing signs hanging around in their windows? Ages ago I mentioned a Northern Rail poster for late-2019 Performance that hung around Doncaster station for ages, it eventually took the death of the Queen to get that removed.

sheff1

Established Member
Are we absolutely sure this is nothing more than "we can't be bothered to update our website too much",
I have no idea whether they actually have silly policies or just can't be bothered to provide accurate info on their website. If the latter, what else is inaccurate - meal times (or even the availability of food) for example ? I have no intention of visiting to find out.

duncanp

Established Member
I have no idea whether they actually have silly policies or just can't be bothered to provide accurate info on their website. If the latter, what else is inaccurate - meal times (or even the availability of food) for example ? I have no intention of visiting to find out.

I made this exact point a little earlier.

If a company cannot be bothered to update its website regarding COVID restrictions, it doesn't say much for how they conduct their business.

"Can't be bothered" or "too busy" just don't cut it as an excuse any more.

I wonder though if the guff sbout COVID restrictions is up there deliberately as a sop to those who are still fearful about catching COVID.

In other words, ask customers to "...respect social distancing rules..." and pretend we are taking COVID seriously, whereas in reality we are back to normal. (ie. "old normal" as it was in 2020 BC (here "BC" means "before COVID")

Tracked

Established Member
I had a look after posting at a few pubs' websites, all of them I've been to recently, first four I looked at (1st two local to me, 2nd two in Chesterfield):

- Site not available, looks like they've not renewed the hosting fee
- Basic info - opening hours, events, etc - Ok, as they reverted to the same as pre-Covid, looks like the sites reverted to the Pre-Covid one as there's a couple of very obvious things missing (nothing affecting the basic info).
- 2022 Christmas & NYE menu's up, event from the 26th October still showing as upcoming
- Site not available, looks like they've not renewed the hosting fee

All are quite active on Facebook, Twitter, etc, but seems updating websites (or even having them) is quite hit and miss.

Just been looking at others in town, it's a mix of
- a few with No Website (but they have a Facebook page)
- a few with Basic Info Only
- Several Chain pubs, generic company page with basic info, menu's sometimes included (but can't tell how up to date these are)
- A couple where the info includes a Menu, but there's no way of telling when this was put up.

One that actually appears up to date (only as it has a Christmas menu)
One referring to bat flu, with a main page showing July 4 2020 reopening info just above a current Facebook feed
One with a pop-up about booking policy, which would be from last Spring, rest of the sites basic info only.

Looked at a few pubs I've been to recently in other places - Hull, York, Sheffield, Leeds, Edinburgh - and get similar results, I've never really noticed how few of them give an indication of when the menu's from, to the point that outdated guidelines might be a useful indicator but it's a very small part of a wider issue of "we can't be bothered to update our website that much".

Edit: In fairness, this is probably going off topic, it's not really using Covid as an excuse for bad service, it's just getting a website and haphazardly updating it.

takno

Established Member
Getting websites updated is either expensive because the company who did it charge a lot, or impossible because the enthusiastic member of staff who got it all set up is gone. Pub websites have always been pretty bad. Now the pubs are staring bankruptcy in the face thanks to huge energy bills and repayments on "bounce back" loans, and can't get staff for any salary they can afford. It seems optimistic to expect to get info from the website.

If you're particularly concerned then give them a ring and check, but worrying about covid restrictions that they are massively unlikely to be enforcing seems like a waste of time

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
They'd soon update their websites somehow if a few people told them "Oh, we thought you'd gone out of business because your website hadn't been update for a very long time so I'm afraid we've been and eaten elsewhere..."

duncanp

Established Member
They'd soon update their websites somehow if a few people told them "Oh, we thought you'd gone out of business because your website hadn't been update for a very long time so I'm afraid we've been and eaten elsewhere..."

A website is like a virtual shop window or advertisement for any business these days.

Therefore it is essential for any business to make sure that the information on the website is relevant and up to date.

The public are not interested in excuses - if a company can't or won't keep the website up to date and relevant, it doesn't say much for the company, and this can act as a deterrent to customers.

Whilst it may cost money to maintain a website, having an internet presence generates quite a significant proportion of sales, something which no business can do without.

takno

Established Member
A website is like a virtual shop window or advertisement for any business these days.

Therefore it is essential for any business to make sure that the information on the website is relevant and up to date.

The public are not interested in excuses - if a company can't or won't keep the website up to date and relevant, it doesn't say much for the company, and this can act as a deterrent to customers.

Whilst it may cost money to maintain a website, having an internet presence generates quite a significant proportion of sales, something which no business can do without.
I don't see any real evidence that this is true in the pub and restaurant sector. The websites are very often wildly out of date, and anybody who wants real updates will either call or check social media, where an actual posting date will give you a hint about whether it's being updated or not. It's surprisingly expensive to maintain a website, and for the past 10 years or so it's been largely pointless.

Ianigsy

Perhaps those 1 million who have retired are correct. Perhaps if they were offered salaries, or more importantly employment terms and working conditions that were attractive they may be tempted back?

Why be treated as a 'human resource' (to be used, abused and dismissed as required) if you don't have to be? People do not exist merely to serve the needs of businesses.
Since the start of the year, three people over 50 have left the small team of about 15 (out of about 80 staff, the remainder of whom are working from home) in my office.

One was in his late sixties and only really came into work to have something to do. One has a number of rental properties, didn’t need to work and only kept coming in because her closest friends were from work (going back about 40 years). And one brought her retirement forward so that she could look after her 90 year old father who’s easily confused.

We might lose another one or two before long- we have a woman who was widowed at around 50 and probably doesn’t have a mortgage so only needs to pay the bills. If you’re only working for the social aspect and the pocket money, you might as well take a lower paid job in a supermarket or as a receptionits closer to home rather than commute.

stuart100100

I'm currently staying in a Premier Inn near Heathrow and there's a poster in the lift saying they can't accept charity donations in cash because of safety reasons

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221114_205019.jpg
    Screenshot_20221114_205019.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 40

duncanp

Established Member
I'm currently staying in a Premier Inn near Heathrow and there's a poster in the lift saying they can't accept charity donations in cash because of safety reasons

What about if you haven't got a smartphone with which to scan the QR code.

Reminds me of the snooty cafe in Birmingham that wouldn't take cash during COVID for "safety reasons", but had a tip jar on the counter where they accepted, er, cash.

Razorblades

Reminds me of the snooty cafe in Birmingham that wouldn't take cash during COVID for "safety reasons", but had a tip jar on the counter where they accepted, er, cash.

All this picking-and-choosing of what's real and what's not has to be challenged and brought to an end.

It's unacceptable that if you enter certain premises then you are accepting the existence of unicorns. Nonsense.

Tom B

Established Member
I remember a shop which wouldn't take cash recently, to my surprise, "because of covid". The guy at the counter said "we take any other method of payment, just not cash". I got my cheque book out...

island

Veteran Member
I think that’s a red herring, given the vast majority of their customers have one and the cost of maintaining cash collections for the tiny minority will surely exceed the donations raised.

On a separate note, Barclays currently offer 25,000 Avios for switching an account into their premier current account. The only ways that you can switch in are their app or in branch. The app was crashing as soon as I started to fill out the form, so I went into my local branch yesterday. The two staff members standing chatting by the entrance said that I’d need to see an adviser, due to COVID they had limited appointments, all appointments are booked out for the rest of the year, and they don’t know when 2023 appointments will be open to book!

35B

Established Member
I don't, I have a smartphone but do not use it for any financial transactions. Refusing cash simply means fewer donations.
Feedback from churches donation boxes is if anything the other way round - donations fall dramatically where cards aren’t accepted.

35B

Established Member
Why can cards AND cash not be accepted (I did not suggest cash instead of cards!).
Because cash is a pain to handle. Banks increasingly charge for handling it, and there is a genuine security risk around it. In contrast, card payments are easy to take, and the percentage cost is little more than was already being paid, and puts cash in the bank quickly - without tying up working capital in maintaining floats. For voluntary organisations, it's a theft risk, and needs people to take time out to count it and take it to an increasingly limited number of bank counters.

The last couple of years have turbocharged an already accelerating trend, where using cards is simply easier all round for very many people. The effect is that, where once cash was the norm and cards an exception, it's now the other way round for many businesses and charities, which are starting to ask "why do we want to handle cash". The effect is that the lost donations or sales aren't worth the extra income when the other costs that go with them are considered.

A while ago, direct debit was a nice to have that made life easier for many who could cope with payments being taken directly from bank accounts. They therefore got preferential treatment, such that most utility accounts are paid on direct debits. The effect of that pendulum swing is that what was an incentive for those who could is now a penalty on those who can't. The transition from cash to card is following a similar trend.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Because cash is a pain to handle. Banks increasingly charge for handling it, and there is a genuine security risk around it. In contrast, card payments are easy to take, and the percentage cost is little more than was already being paid, and puts cash in the bank quickly - without tying up working capital in maintaining floats. For voluntary organisations, it's a theft risk, and needs people to take time out to count it and take it to an increasingly limited number of bank counters.

The last couple of years have turbocharged an already accelerating trend, where using cards is simply easier all round for very many people. The effect is that, where once cash was the norm and cards an exception, it's now the other way round for many businesses and charities, which are starting to ask "why do we want to handle cash". The effect is that the lost donations or sales aren't worth the extra income when the other costs that go with them are considered.

A while ago, direct debit was a nice to have that made life easier for many who could cope with payments being taken directly from bank accounts. They therefore got preferential treatment, such that most utility accounts are paid on direct debits. The effect of that pendulum swing is that what was an incentive for those who could is now a penalty on those who can't. The transition from cash to card is following a similar trend.
I still couldn't imagine making a donation by card. It just seems so tacky to me! It also introduces awkwardness if you want to donate more or less than the amount the reader is set up for.

greyman42

Established Member
On a separate note, Barclays currently offer 25,000 Avios for switching an account into their premier current account. The only ways that you can switch in are their app or in branch. The app was crashing as soon as I started to fill out the form, so I went into my local branch yesterday. The two staff members standing chatting by the entrance said that I’d need to see an adviser, due to COVID they had limited appointments, all appointments are booked out for the rest of the year, and they don’t know when 2023 appointments will be open to book!
Post covid or pre covid, that's Barclays customer service for you.

Crossover

Established Member
I received an email from Premier Inn stating that there restaurants have limited capacity due to covid restrictions and have been strongly recommended to book a table for breakfast. Having stayed in a different location last month, i received no email about pre-booking breakfast prior to arrival and was asked on arrival what time i'd like to have breakfast it annoys me that it seems to be an inconsistency between different hotels from the same group, let alone sending an email metioning long out of date restictions.

It seems to be a mixed bag and, as you say, varies by hotel

Most of the PI's I have stayed in of late haven't asked for breakfast bookings. There was one who did recently emailed asking us to book, which I did (receiveing a manual email confirmation a while later) only got us to get to the hotel to be told they weren't doing breakfast bookings anymore (no bother - prefer it that way!)

Probably someone forgot to update a page. But yes, it is ridiculous reaching the public with such messages.

Not so much website, but auto email, I signed up for a recent work event with a supplier via their weblink and received the following back

Hi,

Thank you for registering for the upcoming <company> event.
Bla bla

<name>

I know the person so emailed them to point it out before too many signed up. It seems the website had been completed but no-one had checked the auto response before it went live!

I still couldn't imagine making a donation by card. It just seems so tacky to me! It also introduces awkwardness if you want to donate more or less than the amount the reader is set up for.
I bought a poppy badge recently from a nearby supermarket - I was expecting to need cash but there was a touchscreen card terminal set up with 4 buttons of donation amounts (I presume you could also do custom) - they possibly got more than I would have given in change, to be honest

35B

Established Member
Each to their own. Though many readers are set up so that there are default amounts and donors can amend the figure to what suits them.

island

Veteran Member
The reader at my church has an option to punch in whatever amount you care to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.