• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connection London Kings Cross to St Pancras

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm on a journey I booked a while ago and have just noticed that LNER gave me a connection time of 22 minutes between arriving at Kings Cross and leaving St Pancras on an Advance ticket.

Whilst that should be doable if we're on time, it feels a lot shorter than when I've done it in the past.

Is it a perfectly normal connection time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
I thought connections were always formed of the minimum connection time at each London Terminal plus the transfer time (which in some cases will vary depending on the time of day).

This should be 31 minutes (15 minutes for each station minimum connection time and 1 minute transfer time).

Has this changed? Do other retailers give the same itinerary?

Class800

Established Member
It's right next door, it's not going to take long to walk. Kings Cross platform platform 10 to the nearest St Pancras platform will be as quick if not quicker than getting to Kings Cross platform 1.

Wolfie

Established Member
I'm on a journey I booked a while ago and have just noticed that LNER gave me a connection time of 22 minutes between arriving at Kings Cross and leaving St Pancras on an Advance ticket.

Whilst that should be doable if we're on time, it feels a lot shorter than when I've done it in the past.

Is it a perfectly normal connection time?
I would be amazed if moving between the directly adjacent stations took more than 5 minutes.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm not asking how long it will actually take. I'm asking what the minimum is supposed to be, and if that's changed.

I would be amazed if moving between the directly adjacent stations took more than 5 minutes.

If you know where you're going. Though getting from the far end of platform 0 or 1 to Thameslink with suitcases may take more than that.

I thought connections were always formed of the minimum connection time at each London Terminal plus the transfer time (which in some cases will vary depending on the time of day).

This should be 31 minutes (15 minutes for each station minimum connection time and 1 minute transfer time).

Has this changed? Do other retailers give the same itinerary?

That's more like what I expected it to be, thanks.

Vexed

While the fixed link data implies a 31 minute connection, some journey planners including National Rail itself override this and allow a shorter connection.

Last time this came up, 21 mins was mentioned as the minimum.

As always with an itinerary from an accredited retailer you are protected against missed connections.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are some journey planners that only apply the 15 minute minimum connection time once for changes between KGX and STP, thus allowing a minimum connection of 16 minutes in total. It's an eminently sensible policy given that even when combined, there is hardly more walking distance between the furthest-apart National Rail platforms than the likes of Waterloo, Victoria, London Bridge etc.

That being said I don't see that there is anything in the data which tells journey planners they can work this way so journey planners vary in whether or not they have this manual 'override' applied. I would also only consider it an official connection if accompanied by a relevant itinerary showing the sub-31 minute connection.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It did take us a little under 10 minutes, though St Pancras gateline rejected our tickets whilst accepting most people's. Chap on the gate let us in without needing to see reservations or railcard, so I'm not sure if they were set to reject advances or railcard discounted tickets or why.