• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Continuing chaos on GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawried123

The saga continues. Having suggested to my cousin that the trains should be back to normal on GWR, she has been stuck on the 12 19 from Twyford to Paddington for about 48 minutes with no information about what the problem is. Apparently the driver is making announcements but he said he can't find anything out about what's going on as he cannot contact the signaller. I'm looking at RTT and it seems that she has now arrived at Paddington 48 mins late having been overtaken on the relief lines by the following 1249 train in the approaches to Paddington.
As my cousin said, it's quite worrying to be stuck at a signal with no information as to what's going on. She said the driver sounded quite frustrated that he couldn't find anything out either due to not being able to contact the signaller.
Surely there should be some way that the driver of the train can find out what's going on in order to communicate it to passengers

Lawrie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The saga continues. Having suggested to my cousin that the trains should be back to normal on GWR, she has been stuck on the 12 19 from Twyford to Paddington for about 48 minutes with no information about what the problem is. Apparently the driver is making announcements but he said he can't find anything out about what's going on as he cannot contact the signaller. I'm looking at RTT and it seems that she has now arrived at Paddington 48 mins late having been overtaken on the relief lines by the following 1249 train in the approaches to Paddington.
As my cousin said, it's quite worrying to be stuck at a signal with no information as to what's going on. She said the driver sounded quite frustrated that he couldn't find anything out either due to not being able to contact the signaller.
Surely there should be some way that the driver of the train can find out what's going on in order to communicate it to passengers

Lawrie
Hot axle alert on a 1L14 GWR service ahead which required line blocks for driver to check. That service was sat for 35 minutes.

The signaller will have a lot of trains attempting to call them, it maybe that each time the driver of the train your cousin is on, attempted to contact the signaller, that the signaller was busy dealing with the train with a fault organising line blocks etc.

Benjiw17

There’s several ways drivers can contact signallers, GSMR is pretty reliable, especially In busy areas like the above mentioned, however if in a black spot, there’s mobile phones and SPT’s providing they’re in a safe place to be accessed. Given the area mentioned and where it’s signalled from, it’ll most likely be the incompetence of said signallers over anything else…

Established Member
There’s several ways drivers can contact signallers, GSMR is pretty reliable, especially In busy areas like the above mentioned, however if in a black spot, there’s mobile phones and SPT’s providing they’re in a safe place to be accessed. Given the area mentioned and where it’s signalled from, it’ll most likely be the incompetence of said signallers over anything else…
As I wrote above a service had a HABD, signaller will be arranging line blocks. Speaking to every other train who was calling, it’s extremely unlucky that driver of OP couldn’t get through.

To say the signaller is incompetent is ridiculous when you don’t know what workload they were dealing with.

Benjiw17

As I wrote above a service had a HABD, signaller will be arranging line blocks. Speaking to every other train who was calling, it’s extremely unlucky that driver of OP couldn’t get through.

To say the signaller is incompetent is ridiculous when you don’t know what workload they were dealing with.
Have you ever been to TVSC?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Starting to feel almost quite bad for Great Western, they're really not having great luck lately are they.

lawried123

Starting to feel almost quite bad for Great Western, they're really not having great luck lately are they.
Not just GWR. Twice recently I've been turfed out of SWR trains terminating short, no doubt for a good reason. But then just left with no way of carrying on with the journey. In one case a full train at Ascot, far too many for the number of taxis available. And no advice or assistance available at the station.

Lawrie

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Cant they broadcast messages as well over GSMR?

Saj8

It always makes me wonder why the TVSC signallers never make use of the general broadcast facility of the GSMR when something like this happens. They could make a general broadcast which the drivers of all trains in the area would receive, telling them what the problem is what's happening about it. They could make subsequent broadcasts to give updates. They must spend a lot of time answering calls from all the trains piling up behind the problem, explaining the issue to every driver individually. In my 11 years, I have never heard a general broadcast from TVSC.

Between Acton and Paddington, our cells must overlap with the signaller that controls the NLL in that area. If we are in that area when an NLL signaller makes a general broadcast or a REC is made on the NLL, we hear it too. I must have heard at least a dozen general broadcasts from their signallers over the years when the NLL goes pear shaped. If they can do it, why can't our signallers at TVSC?

Benjiw17

Cant they broadcast messages as well over GSMR?
Absolutely, seems like quite a reasonable thing to do given the circumstances. I can’t imagine it was a lack of the signaller not knowing what was happening, more of a case of not wanting to engage with drivers, given TVSC’s reputation

Nicholas43

And again, Sunday 10 Dec:
Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Slough and London Paddington all lines are blocked.
Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed. Disruption is expected until 14:00 10/12.
Customer Advice:
-Please be advised that we're currently experiencing disruption on the lines on approach to London Paddington as one of our drivers has reported something stuck and wrapped around the overhead line equipment and the pantograph of their train.
-As a consequence, all the overhead lines have been switched off for safety with all of the lines on approach to Paddington blocked.
-The overhead lines have been switched off with all traffic between Slough and London Paddington at a stand. The driver of the affected train has taken a line block to enable them to inspect the train track-side.
-
Network Rail advise they've about half a mile of overhead lines left to inspect. So far nothing amiss found.

apbj

Yep. Nothing has moved for some time.

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    706.1 KB · Views: 67

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Status
Not open for further replies.